Small World Guesthouse in Kyoto Reviews

25-10 Shimotorida-Tyou Murasakino, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan

I don't know why this place doesn't have better reviews. The guy at the front desk was very kind and helpful, the room was cozy, quaint and traditional and it was completely affordable and fairly priced. I would recommend this place to any of my friends. The only issues are that the location, though in a very nice neighborhood, is a little removed from the city center and about a 10 minute walk from the subway, but that is why it's so cheap.

• 31st Jan 2016

I'll leave my 1st bad review, and I feel sorry but I have to. So for the positive side : it is close to Kinkakuji at a walking distance (30min), and at least 2 bus stops. A/C ok, hot enough on winter with warming blanket. Now, the one guy staff is very unfriendly, make you not feel welcome. It feels like he's doing it for money. Also the bed sheet wasn't clean (many hairs weren't ours). You can hear every noise from the street. We booked there 'cause the other was full..I won't book there again

A lovely hostel in a lovely city.

Very welcoming and the traditional feel of the house felt great, it allowed us to truly relax! It was a really unique atmosphere, and if we come back to Kyoto one day, we will probably choose this guesthouse again.

• 12th Dec 2015

I had a great time with the Host and his friends, sitting together listening to vinyls all night. The house has a unique atmosphere it is very cozy. I wish I could have stayed longer, it was an amazing experience.

Price is nice (for Japan it is even great)- atmosphere is ok and you get to meet people. Bed sheets were not clean, bathroom was kind of ok. May be better to stay in summer as it was cold inside.

It's been confirmed: it is small indeed! The owner was accommodating in showing us around and made us feel welcome. The building is "traditional" in the way that it is authentic and exciting...and small. It's not easy to find but the bright light was left on in the evening when we arrived. The inside feels like a cat house with many steps up and down, and a turn and corner every couple of feet. Modern luxuries like Wi-Fi, a heater, and electric plugs make it a great blend of old and new.

The toilet is very bad smelling and seems lack of cleaning.

FYI- the directions on how to get there from the train station are wrong.

Super cute, clean, well organized ryokan!!! Loved the vintage items the host has collected and has on display.

Good location, nice japanese style rooms, cheap bike rental and good vibe :)

Place was a bit hard to move around and is located rather far from the center. But otherwise, a nice little hostel

Yuki is nice,friend ly n polite, n help ful

A nice place to stay at if you want to have a "real" Japanese experience (you sleep on a mattress on the floor in a simple wooden house). It is a very primitive place, but cozy at the same time. You have what you need if you are just staying one or a few nights, and the place was clean. For me it was a huge plus that the caretaker spoke some English and that I could use the wi-fi. In total, I enjoyed my stay and would have chosen the same hostel over again if I just want a place to sleep at.

• 13th Sep 2015