Small World Guesthouse in Kyoto Reviews

25-10 Shimotorida-Tyou Murasakino, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan

I'll leave my 1st bad review, and I feel sorry but I have to. So for the positive side : it is close to Kinkakuji at a walking distance (30min), and at least 2 bus stops. A/C ok, hot enough on winter with warming blanket. Now, the one guy staff is very unfriendly, make you not feel welcome. It feels like he's doing it for money. Also the bed sheet wasn't clean (many hairs weren't ours). You can hear every noise from the street. We booked there 'cause the other was full..I won't book there again

A lovely hostel in a lovely city.

Very welcoming and the traditional feel of the house felt great, it allowed us to truly relax! It was a really unique atmosphere, and if we come back to Kyoto one day, we will probably choose this guesthouse again.

• 12th Dec 2015

I had a great time with the Host and his friends, sitting together listening to vinyls all night. The house has a unique atmosphere it is very cozy. I wish I could have stayed longer, it was an amazing experience.

Price is nice (for Japan it is even great)- atmosphere is ok and you get to meet people. Bed sheets were not clean, bathroom was kind of ok. May be better to stay in summer as it was cold inside.

It's been confirmed: it is small indeed! The owner was accommodating in showing us around and made us feel welcome. The building is "traditional" in the way that it is authentic and exciting...and small. It's not easy to find but the bright light was left on in the evening when we arrived. The inside feels like a cat house with many steps up and down, and a turn and corner every couple of feet. Modern luxuries like Wi-Fi, a heater, and electric plugs make it a great blend of old and new.

The toilet is very bad smelling and seems lack of cleaning.

FYI- the directions on how to get there from the train station are wrong.

Super cute, clean, well organized ryokan!!! Loved the vintage items the host has collected and has on display.

Good location, nice japanese style rooms, cheap bike rental and good vibe :)

Place was a bit hard to move around and is located rather far from the center. But otherwise, a nice little hostel

Yuki is nice,friend ly n polite, n help ful

A nice place to stay at if you want to have a "real" Japanese experience (you sleep on a mattress on the floor in a simple wooden house). It is a very primitive place, but cozy at the same time. You have what you need if you are just staying one or a few nights, and the place was clean. For me it was a huge plus that the caretaker spoke some English and that I could use the wi-fi. In total, I enjoyed my stay and would have chosen the same hostel over again if I just want a place to sleep at.

• 13th Sep 2015
  • Sweden

The hostel is not for everyone. Since the hostel is made of wood, sound is easily produced by any movement. It was difficult to sleep at night. Also, it was the peak of summer when I stayed there and the owner did not allow the usage of the AC during the day. Stay here if you are only after a place where you can shower. If you highly value sleep, maybe this is not the best place for you to stay.

If your a cool person you will think this is a great place. Just act. Treat their stuff with respect and you'll have a great time

• 11th Aug 2015

The owner wasn't keen on letting us have air conditioning after 7 AM. This was in the middle of August, when it's 40 degrees Celsius outside... Since the walls are very thin, the nights were noisy and a little extra sleep after 7 would have been nice. Otherwise a big lack of security, and you can get a much nicer location for the same/better price. On the good side, it was cool to see a traditional Japanese house from the inside.

• 7th Aug 2015