Tassie Backpacker @ The Brunswick Hotel Reviews

67 Liverpool Street, Hobart, Hobart, Australia

The hostel was ok, friendly and helpful staff. My bed however was extremely uncomfy, the mattress was old and could feel the springs. The bunks also rocked a lot when anyone moved and the ladders were not attached and pretty dangerous. had I not checked in late Iin the evening I would of changed hostels.

I had a really nice stay at the tassie backpacker. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hostel was clean and good value for money. But the animal skin on the floor at the entrance was not cool!

Really enjoyed my time here. The staff were brilliant and very helpful. The bar was good and although the toilets could be updated, it was definitely one of the best hostels I've visited in Aus.

Staff were generally very helpful and friendly.

Everything was fine for me, but the wifi was terrible.

• 4th Mar 2015

I had booked a triple deluxe en suite. The problems were the following: Door did not close properly TV did not work. The staff did not care. The en suite door provided no acoustic barrier and could be seen through. The sink was so small that it was impossible to even wash your face without getting water everywhere and you had to have your head pressed against the wall to spit in the sink when brushing your teeth. Kitchen was absolutely filthily!

Everything was ok, except the room wasn't cleaned particularly well and the staff member we asked regarding tours etc was pretty insulting and impatient. Also it would be way better to have the luggage storage open before 9 for people with early checkouts! Location was great, and we had a comfortable stay.

• 14th Feb 2015

I like the style of an old hotel converted into a hostel, as well as the big open courtyard in the back. It's attached to a pub in the front. My only slight complaint is that the beds/mattresses were very saggy and droopy. Directly across the street is a supermarket (nice and easy).

Good location , clean, free internet

clean private room w/ensuite, good shower, only negative was walls are paper thin so a bit noisy

Hot water was a bit of an issue and the beds were a bit hard on the back. Extra pillows would have been nice.

• 27th Jan 2015

Hi Thanks for your review and positive rating of our hostel. Sorry to hear you had an issue with the hot water. This is not normally a problem as we have recently replaced much of our hot water system. You'll be happy to hear we have already replaced some beds and mattresses since your stay, And with many more to be replaced soon your bed is possibly already gone or going. As for the pillow just ask one of the reception staff and they will be happy to grab you a spare.

Location is perfect. The hostel has a lot of charms. Because it's old. It has a nice main area. The only thing is that the hygiene is very bad. And the beds were defenitly ready to be replaced. They're horrible.

Hi Thanks for the review and glowing comments on our charming heritage hostel. I could not describe our location better thank you very much. We are taking on board your comments about the beds and should have many shiny new ones very shortly. Thanks again for staying at Tassie Backpackers and we hope to see you again if you return to Hobart.

Tassie backpacker is highly recommended for the backpackers as the place is cool and so are the staff and the environment... I give it 4.5 stars !!

• 21st Jan 2015
  • Bhutan

Your staff were nice, food was great. Room was absolutely horrible and I would NEVER stay there again nor recommend it to anyone else. It was like sleeping in a sauna! No airflow, one window which had no fly screen. I have never wished for morning to come so quickly before in my life!

• 21st Jan 2015

Location was good, staff were friendly and facilities seemed good. Internet was a little flaky and strictly limited though.

Hi Many thanks for taking the time to review.I’m sorry that you had difficulty using our WiFi system. being in a building dating back to 1827 our sandstone walls weren't really built with this in mind! However, we have just upgraded our network and on our most recent tests all Rooms and Common Areas received signal a great achievement given the challenges of this amazing building! Thanks again for the thumbs up to the staff location and facilities we agree there great

Fairly central location, atmosphere was pretty bad though... seemed to be a lot of 40+ staying in the 8 people dorms who just were there for the weekend. Not the most social of hostels; I'm really outgoing and still found it pretty difficult to meet people. The bar downstairs really fills up but it's mainly locals who stick to their groups and don't socialise with the backpackers. Security wasn't really ideal since you could access all the dorms from the bar and dorms were often left unlocked

Not very clean, kitchen lacking utensils. Pub downstairs. Good location though.

Hi, Thank you for your review! And I'm happy you enjoyed and were able to make use of wonderful and convenient location! I'm sorry the cleanliness was not up to your expectations. The Kitchen and all bathrooms are cleaned and re-stocked twice daily by our House Keeping staff, but during high occupancy periods things can disappear and get untidy rather fast! Just see one of our great Reception staff who will happily address all such issues when brought to their attention.

Staff are helpful and friendly. However, the facility is too old and water leaked along the corridor and seriously at the kitchen and dining area. This should be improved.

Hi, Thanks very much for the review! and your appreciation of our awesome, helpful and friendly staff they do a great job dot they! In relation to your comments regarding the roofing it's worth noting your visit was during one of the worst hail storms in record for Hobart. This will cause some issues for a building with almost 200 years of history. Not to worry all roofing issues are being seen too. Sorry you didn't see us at our best.

Location is great. Staff is helpful and friendly but bathroom and kitchen seems not as good as expected

Hi, Thanks very much for taking time to leave us a review! We're glad to hear you had a good stay with us and were impressed with our staff (we are very proud of them) We'll make sure to get the kitchen and bathrooms in tip top condition for your next stay.

Centrally located hostel in Hobart on top of a lovely looking pub! Staff were very helpful. Shower area was particularly dirty so we didn't end up using it but the bedroom was nice enough and had a good night sleep there.