The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

the dorms were well kept and clean but there were a few of the little things that could need fixing. Ie. The toilets - showers need upgrading and the toilets often had no toilet paper. The staff were very helpful and fixed our problem very quickly. If you are using this hostel as a base for exploring London make sure to factor in the cost of the London underground and buses as it is a long walk from central London. Overall we enjoyed our stay. :)

Good place, nice people. I recommend it.

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Russia

Reasonably priced, decent hostel. Nice and competent stuff, always willing to help and guide you through London! Location was good for me but google it as I've heard some people complaining that it takes 20min to the central london. Kitchen is very basic, no stove or cooker only microwaves and kettle so if you are planning big cooking thats not gonna happen in there. I didn't mind, plenty of take away around plus supermarkets!

• 5th Jan 2015

Service was great and stay was excellent. The distance to the city centre may be a problem if you don't know how to move in London, but the staff is helpful and can give you proper directions.

The hostel is very basic in terms of it's facilities and the bathroom could do with some upgrading. But it has everything you need and is easy to get in and out of the center of London. The pub has good atmosphere and the staff are very friendly

Very pleasant stay, cozy beds, decent breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, looks like just been refurbished as all was nice and looking like new. Not a full kitchen but for snack and tea it's almos perfect. Very clean areas. Comfortable lounge with bar, wifi and tv. Some annoying people around complaining about things, but for the price of the stay in London , I must say they cover all espectations.

• 16th Dec 2014

Overall good hostel with nice, helpful staff :) Very cheap, for London prices, location ok. I've stayed there before but this time with couple of friends and we didn't stay in the same room as we didn't book together so that wasn't good but I understand, we could send an email before and ask to be together... Oh well it's a good place and we've had a great time! I would recommend this place to anyone who's interested in family/friends run hostel rather than another chain.

• Argentina

My stay was very pleasant, on arrival the staff was very helpful and friendly, rooms are comfortable, feels like just been refurbished. The lounge area is cozy, with internet and a charming bar. Breakfast is also serve really nicely and there is even boiled eggs! Not far from underground station, just a few minutes walk, about 10 15 minutes but there is also a bus stop around the corner. Great value for the money you pay. Definitely will be back on my next trip.

• 16th Dec 2014

The staff was great, very accommodating and friendly. It was a fun and chill environment to relax in after a day of traveling about the city. I loved my time there. The Greyhound Pub added a fun element and it is near a tube stop that ties you into the city atmosphere.

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Hoekstra

Overall I thought it was nice. The staff were great and the breakfast was fine. The toilets could do with a bloody good clean.

Overall it was good value for money. Good location and so on. Everything close and people stayed in most of times were friendly. I stayed close to 2 weeks. It was a nice experience and the staff is really good and helpful, especially Bart. ( I owe you man ) But on the third be I changed I had bug problem. And I got an allergic reaction and it was terrible. You should mention that the kitchen does not include an oven or stove.

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • Greece

Do avoid.

The location was ok, near public transport to get to and from the heart of London. The pub was nice, but the prices for drinks was high, considering it was posted about a discount on drinks. A beer was still £4.50, and we paid £14 for 2 vodka red bulls. The downstairs pub area is the only place to receive wifi, which is important as I am a student. It hardly ever worked. There were minimal plugs for charging phones, etc. showers and bathrooms could be renovated, they are old dingy and dirty.

Toilets and bathrooms are dirty. The showers of every bathroom can't even stick to the holders. There is no holder for toilet papers! Toilet papers are left either on the wet dirty floor, on the sink, next to the window, or any where it can be placed. This very poor hygiene is really scary for me. Beds in the bedroom I stayed are two 3-bunk beds and it's really hard to get to the top bed that I had to ask for another bed. There're only 2 plugs available in the room. Breakfast is ok.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Thailand

Very dirty

• 9th Nov 2014

No reply to 2 emails, 1 call in three answered. No smile or warm welcome on arrival. I stayed in room 101. Window glass broken. Two plug sockets to 6 beds. Bunks are 3 beds high, ladders are unsafe. You can't sit up in your bunk. The duvet is too narrow, no reading light. The showers are filthy, showers curtains orange from mould, drains are blocked. No hooks, shower heads don't attach to wall, 1 handed shower. Carpets are filthy. Coded locks, codes don't change. The pub downstairs is relaxing.

Such a lovely chilled out atmosphere, staff were gorgeous and smiley and extremely helpful. The Hostel itself was tidy, well structured, smelled lovely and was possibly one of the cleanest I've seen in a long time.. As for breakfast, it felt like fine dinning, nice effort made in making a relatively simple continental breakfast into something quite appealing. As for the icing on the cake, it was on top of a really quiet pub. Lush !

• 5th Nov 2014

Comfortable enough but on a personal note I would prefer to be able to watch the football weekends instead of just the musuc channels on the rv., nice blend of people and transport links are adequate. The showers could do with tinkering up a little as the thermostat can't be working properly as hot and cold are about a milli second apart.

The hostel was over run with bed bugs. You had to relog onto to the WiFi every half an hour and you could only use it from within the pub. Location was good, lots of buses and central line station not to far away. |Kitchen was advertised but there was only a microwave and no other appliances.. Would not stay here again. Price was decent. The main door to the hostel rooms was broken but all the other doors were secure.

• 28th Oct 2014

Staff was really helpful and welcoming. thanks!