The Monkeys in the Trees Reviews

49 Becklow Road, Shepherds Bush, London, England

Not a bad hostel but with some minor changes it could be so much better. The kitchen could be upgraded a bit and some power sockets next to each bed would make this place a lot better! Showers are average as well.

This hostel was very far away from central London and really filthy. I've been to a lot of hostels, but never to a disgusting one like this. The staff is lazy& unfriendly, the showers& toiletts are very dirty& almost falling apart& it seems like there is no one ever cleaning anything in this place. I can only tell you: don't go to this hostel, it's not even worth the low price! We only stayed there for one night, didn't get our money back& moved to generator hostel, which was very clean& good..

You were unhappy with the hostel as you did not like our location, you were here for less than 10hrs, arriving late at night and leaving the next morning. We are in a great area, that you do need to catch transport , which is clearly obvious in our description . As for staying at another hostel, that is double the price to us, it is unreasonable to compare us. We offer a great hostel at a good price and it is a shame you did not appreciate this. Our staff have won award for customer service.

To say that there's a kitchen is pretty much a cruel joke. There is a dirty little room with a sink, a microwave and a fridge and that's it. Horrible! I've stayed in plenty of hostels but that one was by far the worst! Also, the credit card machine thing wasn't working so people had to get cash in order to pay for the stay. Not too bad but rather inconvenient! Showers were not clean (hair everywhere- disgusting!!). Only the bar was alright and the staff friendly!

There is only one microwave at common kitchen. No fire, No stoves so we cannot cook anything.... ah, I see, here is England....

Hello, Thanks for the comment, we do not have a stove/Oven in the kitchen due to health and safety restrictions. We hope you had a great stay other than this. Monkeys in the trees

PROS: downstairs bar is nice, breakfast has EGGS!, staff is nice, beer is cheap! CONS: slow internet, tiny closet rooms with 6 beds in them, water in the showers is inconsistent (it freezes you then burns your flesh), location is far out so its a metro+bus to get anywhere If you really want to feel like monkeys in trees, this is the place!

Great stay at this Hostel, People at the desk were helpful, room ok, great atmosphere, great breakfast, close to a few cheap restaurant and convenient store. The first floor with the Pub is so great to rest after a day out ! Really good value for money. I definitely recommend !

The guy at the bar/reception (same one during the 2 days/2 nights I stayed) was really nice and helpful.The big downfall of this hostel is definitely the lack of cleanliness and the fact that it's not well taken care of. The mattress didn't properly fit on the bed so it came up on one side, no curtains around the bed, no lockers in the room. It lacks facilities to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. You can find better places for the same price!

Lovely place but random in that some bathroom sinks didn't have Taps. Worst thing... The beds... Might as well have been made purely of springs. Covered in bruises and barely slept.

• 11th Aug 2014

The hostel has a great atmosphere with it's own bar and a common room where you can hang out, the staff is friendly. When going there, look for the pub "The Greyhound", it's the same building. The rooms are basic, breakfast great. The official wifi works poorly, ask for another one. There are no sockets or bins in the bathrooms which makes life for girls a little complicated. Located quite far from the underground so maybe not suitable for just one night but highly recommended for longer stays.

Nice hostel. Room was very messy which obviously has to do with the people but I think the lack of lockers in the room contributed (you can hire lockers though but it's not the same). Annoying having bathrooms on different levels but they were clean. Normal breakfast and nice bar downstairs. Only stayed one night so didn't get much of a feel for the vibe. Annoying it's not closer to a tube station. I walked as couldn't be bothered getting a bus and the train and it's a bit of a walk

My visit started off bad, the guy told me they didn't accept credit card despite the Hostelworld page clearly saying they did. He wouldn't let me settle in before going out to find a cash machine. This was the last thing I wanted to do as I was pretty tired from trying to find the place. The sign for the hostel is no bigger than a A4 size piece of paper on the window of the pub. It worked out in the ene but first impressions set the tone and I wasn't pleased.

Hello, Your arrival started of badly due to arriving after our Last check in time of 11pm without letting us know you would be late. We have a huge sign on the side of the hostel/pub, sorry you did not see this or prepare for your stay by printing out the map with our location. In regards to the card machine, yes we are having some problems and have taken this off the websites, we also sent you an email to advise you of this issue, so you could organize alternate payment on arrival.

Basic, but clean with a friendly atmosphere.

• 30th Jul 2014

The staff and location are great, they also offer a great breakfast. However the place is dirty, floors are full dust, toilets smell musty and showers don't work very well, somethings just taking a shower was a nightmare.

For the price paid I could have stayed elsewhere with much less people in the room. There was little to no security in terms of luggage safety. You can rent a small locker but as to protecting your luggage itself there was no place to put it. The kitchens only contain a fridge and microwave. And often had fruit flies. Bathrooms were quite small and most showers broken in one way or another. Noise was also a big issue with seemingly no noise curfew on the building.

I had a nice and comfortable stay , worth the money spent

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Pakistan

A nice hostel! The staff was really friendly and helpful (thank you again, James!). It seems like it is a bit far from the center, but with buses and the tube you are there really fast. And just around the corner in Uxbridge Road you have lots of good and cheap food! The only thing not perfect was that everything (rooms, beds and facilities) is quite small. But you have a nice pub downstairs to relax in.I had a really nice time there and will definitely stay there again if I come back to London!

I will always look back fondly in my dotage upon my time in the Trees. This was my second stay here and I had a great time. The showers need some TLC and one is missing a lock. The staff is great and James is easy to talk to. Just a great place to stay a few days.

Positives: it is cheap,including breakfast Negatives: it is way too far from the centre or even tube station and it is way too small - there are three floor beds which are so small I was banging my head all the time, rooms are very small too - nine people in a room 2x2 metres.Kitchen is small and does not even have a cooker, just microwave oven. Reception is not open 24 hours a day, their card terminal didn't work and the bathroom is again too small, springing water to all sides, no dryer

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Our location did not change after you made your booking, we are still a 12min walk or 5min bus ride from the nearest tube station which you are able to see on hostelworld. As for being way to far from the "center" we are in zone 2 and it is convenient to travel into the city. You list being good value as a positive and then complain about the size of the rooms and bathrooms. For safety reasons we do not have an oven or stove top, and you would find most London hostel do not have a kitchen at all

Pros: 1. Breakfast is inclusive. 2. Super friendly staff( the biology major staff). 3. Great back yard. 4. Easy to access to central by subway cons: 1. Not enof bathroom and toilets. 2. Kitchen is lack of equipments, not easy to manage self-prepared meals. 3. The mattress is comfy but can be better quality and bigger size. 4. Not easy to central by buses

Probably the best hostel I've stayed at in London. Good atmosphere and facilities. Shower's are actually hot, good wifi, super comfy beds. All the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help you.