The Venice Beach Hostel Reviews

716 Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA 90291, Los Angeles, USA

On the checkout day while i was having breakfast I was told-" u need to vacate the room at 10 as we need to change sheets.You know how it works,right" I was never informed of this rule during checkin and i felt it was really rude to say so and do so without prior information.And yes i do not know how it works unless u tell me in advance.

• 5th Feb 2016
  • India

I really liked this hostel. It was so welcoming and totally friendly. I would highly recommend going here, and I would definitely go again.

• 26th Jan 2016

This is a house so more like a air b n b feel than a hostel . Couldn't fault it . Perfect for 2 nights

Pretty chill hostel close to Venice Beach. Felt kind of more like a airbnb place because it is just like a house in which everybody is living together. However I really enjoyed my stay and I would recommend this Hostel to anybody who wants to spend some days in La and doesn't mind sleeping in a bigger dorm together with other travellers.

• 19th Jan 2016

Really lovely hostel with lovely staff and charming character to the hostel itself, definitely from the old school of hostels and a welcoming homely feel with books and games which personally I prefer to flashier more clinical modern hostels. Ian welcomed me and helped me with directions and it had everything I needed, and a cup of tea :)

• 14th Jan 2016

Best hostel ever! The staff was super friendly and accommodating.

• 11th Jan 2016

My friend and I stayed here NYE and had a great time chatting with the staff and other travelers. We really enjoyed he lounge area and it's laid back vibe. I would definitely stay here again.

• 31st Dec 2015

Its was the worst hostel i've ever been! And it was different from what we saw in the website and the room was so dirty and there was bugs in the bathroom! Im not satisfied at all.

When i first walked into this hostel, i was ecstatic - it looked like a warm, family-like crowd, the hostel was basically like a giant house, and everything was extremely laid back and alternative. However, security is practically non-existent (you charge us $5 to keep our bag on a pool table in plain view? Seriously?), dorm room is incredible mess, no A/C or heating, staff is kinda random, and it's a solid 30-min walk to Venice Beach. Thank god was only there for 1 night.

Had a wonderful stay thank you for being such lovely welcoming people and making me feel right at home!!!

• 28th Dec 2015

The hostel on the whole was decent but we were relocated to their other location which was a remarkable disappointment as it was dingy and had an overall unpleasant atmosphere. The bedroom had a bad smell with old creaky bunk beds, the kitchen was unequipped with basic utensils. If you decide to stay here please request that you not get booked at their other location which looks like they got it right after some untidy person abandoned it all of a sudden.

The ensuite room had a toilet literally inside the room, without a door. The showers were shared only and are not in the room for private use. There was a jacuzzi tub in the room which was practically unusable because of the lack of heating in room. Also, the hostel is actually a few blocks farther from the beach as compared to the address shown on website and in online booking. That made it very difficult to walk to the beach. Also, there is no mention that they charge for payment by card.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • India

Didnt stay in main place but a house converted off washington.blvd. Its very homey but its an old hous so dont expect modern comforts but more country lodge type deccor.and atmosphere. Cannot fault staff they were. lovely. Day fee and luggage storage on top of already expencive room fee is charged. Not sure how routine this is for usa. Beds not too comfortable. Not sure i would stay again for the same money. But then again it is la?!

The day fee was charged because check out is noon and you asked to stay & use the facilities until 10.00pm., i think that you will find that $28 is the cheapest bed in Venice.

Close to Venice beach (15min walk) and one block away from bus stops. It's a house converted into a hostel so expect facilities according. Nice and confortable, very friendly people, breakfast it's good and very complete, toasted bread and cereal, some fruit, milk and orange juice.

i admit that i booked this stay in a hurry after a stressful change of plans. Excited to find private room with shared bath for $45/night. Didn't realize it was per bed & i would be charged for unoccupied bed as well, nor that the $35 "deposit" was really an additional fee would not be deducted from my total. I would NEVER have paid $100+/night for a dirty room (I vacuumed the toenail clippings & other detritus), above the smoking hangout, w/hairy shower, & empty TP. Staff nice but inflexible.

• 7th Nov 2015

Sorry to hear your comments, i wish you had come to us with your complaints and allowed us to rectify the situation. The reservation acknowledgement clearly stated the amount that you would be required to pay. James Manager

The staff are fantastic and the location is great but the room had no curtains and the bathroom had no locks so you would be in the shower whilst someone was in the toilet. I would stay again but this is not a hostel for anyone afraid of a commune style vibe.

Nice place, staff super friendly and helpful. It is a 20-25min walk to the beach but that doesn't bother me my diet goes out the window when on holiday so the extra walking is a good thing or you can hire a bike and no issue. Highly recommend you cycle between Santa Monica and Venice Beach during your stay.

Thank you Anna for the great effort of explaining the things to do, place to visit and food to eat. It was really a good place to stay where the staffs were very friendly and they do introduce good places to visits and invite guest to great place to hang out together. Good job!!

It was awesome staying at the Venice Beach Hostel! The staff was honestly amazing, very nice people at the hostel. The facility had a very familiar atmosphere and I felt welcome immediately.

• 22nd Oct 2015

If you want a friendly environment with an abundance of cultural and welcoming people, then this is the place for you. I felt welcomed the second I walked in and I've made memories with them that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

• 22nd Oct 2015