Tokyo Sumidagawa Youth Hostel Reviews

2-21-4, Yanagibashi, Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

I stayed in some pretty great hostels in Japan, unfortunately this was not one one them. The positives: - Friendly staff - Clean - Good location The negatives: - Extremely dated - Zero privacy - the bunk beds were open, very small and without any curtains (this is very different from my experience at all other hostels in Japan) - Smell - there was a constant lingering smell of food - Poor WiFi I would make this your last choice, there are much much better hostels out there.

The hostel was a bit hard to find and far from the closest public transport. The common area was very big, but not very cosy. The volunteer group was nice though as they have given a free tea ceremony.

The hostel is ok given overall prices in Tokyo. If you want somewhere quite clean to sleep its fine, if you want anything more, you will be sorely disappointed. Compared with other hostels I used in Japan, there was zero atmosphere and few amenities. Thankfully I didnt stay here too long. The staff were mostly ok - the ones who spoke English, were a little rude and unhelpful, the man who spoke no English, was incredibly kind and tried hard to help. Overall, mixed bag.

Great place to stay at, close to JR and subway, clean, friendly staff and very helpful, key and door code provided, reliable internet, hot water, plenty restrooms, common area & free coffee/tea, etc. I pretty much made this place home, I was in Tokyo 3 separate times this trip and all 3 times I chose to stay here because it surpassed my expectations, great deal. The directions get a little tricky for finding it but once you do you realize it's pretty close and the walk isn't that bad,it was safe