Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Horrible hostel! Not clean, bathrooms run-down and very far from rooms, no wifi, bad atmosphere. Avoid this hostel!

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Switzerland

Excellent value! Blew my expectations out of the water! The breakfast was great, staff was awesome (very friendly). I stayed at another hostel in the city (about double the price) and this one was way better! Only two things I could think of is that the showers need a proper shower head, and that there should be more outlets in the rooms! Other than that, it was perfect!

Was amazing... found crazy roomates to partyhard good breakfast great atmosphere...

• 13th Apr 2015
  • Peru

good value for money!

I think the only problem was the difficulty of finding power outlet to charge the mobile

• 10th Apr 2015

Staff were lovely. Was given a pain au chocolat when I arrived early in the morning by the lovely guy who checked me in and let me leave my bag and sit for a couple of hours before going out :) also when I overstayed my time and was locked out after 11am, the lady at reception had no problem letting me back in. Showers are a little bit weird and a bit of a trek from the room but at least they were warm. I thought the location was good for walking to and from the centre(15/20mins).

Our dorms were across the street from reception building, if you wanted to lock your things up you could only use lockers in reception. Actual room was okay, although had to lift our heavy bags up three flights of stairs. Shower was only luke warm and really grotty and moldy. Wifi worked in the room which was good, and it is in a pretty good central location. Breakfast was very average Would not stay here again.

I did not like the hostel. I stayed on two different rooms. The first one was really bad, the room was not in good conditions, the second room was nice. However, both room have the same problem, only two plugs for dorm of 10 or 8. The shower is very old. They charge you for uding the computers and they even work well, they have really old computers. And they aldo charge for printing 50 cent per page, which is a lot. If you do not mind all the above it is a fun place and free breakfast

Everything about this hostel was wonderful with one exception. The showers were annoying because you have to keep pressing a button to keep the water going.

It is an option to consider only if you need to sleep one night, and really don't care about anything else. The facilities were very basic, not special at all. Free wifi access was only at common room which was far away from room (different building, you have to cross the street). Expensive. Bad quality of room's door knob, it was broken!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Indonesia

I really liked my stay at the hostel! The atmosphere is excelent! You can feel it as soon as you arrive. The staff members were very nice and helped me every time I needed. The bathrooms were clean, I didn't have any problems. I would stay again at the Chab!!!

• 4th Apr 2015

This was one of the worst hostels I've stayed in during my time interrailing. The room was cold and the sheets we were given had holes in them. Our room wasn't ready on time even though we still had to make our own beds and there was no soap in the bathrooms. This wouldn't have been such an issue if the price actually matched the value we received. Definitely overpaid.

• 3rd Apr 2015

I stayed here 2 years ago and found it to be my Cheapest option for a quick stopover in Brussels this time around, too. Last time, though, I was in the other building. This time in the main building. More convenient, right?? So wrong. With a door that doesn't open half the time and having to go outside in order to go to the bathroom and then outside and inside and up some stairs to take a (cold) shower, we felt pretty neglected. Breakfast is not very good...corn flakes, sandwich bread, coffee...

The hostel was great! Things I liked included the breakfast (really good hot chocolate), the location was surprisingly close to the center of Belgium, and I felt very safe. One thing I would have like was that the showers didn't smell, but they were really clean (and the showers were hot, so that's a plus).i would definitely recommend this hostel. Also they have big and small lockers that you can lock your stuff in for free!

• 28th Mar 2015

I stayed for one night, for €25 that was fine. I don't think I'd stay longer than 1 or 2 nights, and just to sleep as the atmosphere on the ground floor isn't much.

I really enjoyed my stay at Youth Hostel Van Gogh. The staff were very helpful and it was a great value for money. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Grand Place and other major attractions. There is a bar in the hostel which meant it could be kind of loud at night but it was a great way to meet people.

The location is good and the balcony is lovely. But the shower water is not hot.

WIFI in all building, but 2 different networks. Only 1 toilet and 2 showers for mens in the 3rd floor with many rooms in each floor. The price was expensive, but was the better relation quality-price when I booked. Free basic breakfast included. Some employers speak Spanish. 3 plug socket on the room for 6 persons, with a sink and mirror in the room. Staff helpful and nice. Sometimes there are concerts and parties in the bar. You have to make your bed and remove bed linen on checkout.

Very accommodating staff. They gave me an upgraded room at no extra charge because I was on crutches. Rooms are simple but clean. Standard breakfast. Location is fine, connected well enough by bus. Would stay again.

The Belgian Person at the reception spoke German to me, I thought that was very Kind of them.

• 26th Mar 2015