Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

I only stayed here one night but from what I can judge it's a pretty average hostel. Not the greatest location although the city centre is still walking distance. There were no lockers in the rooms, wifi very rarely worked, the staff weren't very helpful and the overall atmosphere was pretty dull. It was a good place to stay for 1 night because it is located close to the train station with a nice breakfast included but I wouldn't want to stay there any longer.

Showers were awful - water was cold and didn't last and were dirty. Staff were quite rude and unhelpful a couple of times (others were great). I had one staff member give me incorrect information regarding buses and trains which ended up with me getting lost and spending more money than I needed to. Wifi rarely working also was a little frustrating. Otherwise a fairly pleasant stay.

You'll get everything you need in a hostel, bed, bedding it's totally average. It's not exactly in the middle of downtown, but ten again Brussels is quite small so it works. Nothing is really that secure in this place, lock boxes are wooden cubbies partially off their hinges, while the door to the room is usually unlocked. No security facilitates in room, something most other hostels had. Breakfast is real bad (worst cereal I've ever had).

• 22nd Jul 2014

Warm showers, clean rooms, awesome staff, awesome music in the lobby. Stayed in room 34 (4 room female dorm) and it was perfect! The showers and bathroom were just across the hall. Included a hearty breakfast! Would recommend and definitely come back. The lobby was extremely hot (in July) and it's like a 20 minute walk to the Cathedral and other touristy parts.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Spain

This is the dirtiest place I've ever stayed in. The kitchen was horrific, and lacked enough pots, cutlery and cups. The fridge was full of old mouldy things that people had left long ago and there was no room for our stuff even if we had wanted to put it in there. The showers were just as bad. No shower head so it was like I was being sprayed with a bacteria ridden hose. Wifi was temprimental and didn't work in our room. So over priced don't stay here!

The shower is not so good and there aren't any lockers in the rooms. But the staff is very friendly and helpul. The atmosfere is very good.

We were there only a night, so I really don't know much about the hostel. but for what I see If I go back to brussells I would got there again

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Very unhelpful when trying to find somewhere to go or eat. We were in trouble and needed to use a phone, the staff refused to let us use one

• 18th Jul 2014

We met some amazing people and had a great time in Brussels. We'll be back!

• 18th Jul 2014

It was good. There is breakfast and nice internet. Beds were nice.

I booked dorm rooms for me and my boyfriend because they were cheap. The beds felt sturdy and comfortable enough, the sink had hot water so you could clean clothes for free. The included breakfast was really good. The bedroom was tightly packed though, without an opening window. There was no shower facilities and the bar was too close to the room. A good place to stay if you're a heavy sleeper or want to spend lots of time at the bar.

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Hello! Thanks for your comment! For the dorm rooms we do have showers facilities, in the basement, the access is in the veranda next to the pool table. Kind regards, Virginie

Over good stay. Belgium is a chill and very friendly country. People at the hostel and around the area were very friendly.

• 15th Jul 2014

This is a great hostel! Staff was friendly, rooms and facilities were great, they have a nice locker room to keep your stuff securely, and the bar is awesome. So many great beers, and a friendly bartender with good recommendations. It's a little far from the city center, but not too bad (10 min walk) and is right next to the lovely Jardin Botanique. They also have a lot of great maps and resources for the city. I really enjoyed my stay here. I would definitely stay here again.

Around15 minutes walking to the center, but that's quite ok for Brussels. I was not in the main building so I felt a little bit isolated, however the hostel is pretty nice.

Good one!

It was a good hostel for the price. Everything was considerably clean and all the staff (but one) was very welcoming and helpful! They even had a very helpful free map/guide that my friend and I used the entire trip. Location is not bad, it is relatively close to the city and very close to the nearest Metro station. Just be careful if you are coming from the North Train Station as the red light district is right next to it (we accidentally walked through it on our way to the hostel).

The staff was very helpful in answering any questions we had about the stay and/or the city. During our stay, we encountered a problem with our bathroom ventilation. If we turned on the light (and ventilation) in our bathroom, it would pop after a couple of minutes and the light would go out in the entire Van Gogh area. When we confronted them with the problem, they were extremely helpful in taking care of the problem, even offering us a new room as well as giving us a lamp for light in there.

Very charming hostel with friendly people, excellent beer and a pleasant laidback atmosphere. Very good value for the money.

Everything was awesome except the rooms

A special thanks goes to the CHAB staff! :) Always helpful and friendly, they stored my luggage safely after my check-out and also provided me with a bilingual payment receipt I needed for accounting reasons. Other perks: fast wifi, fully equipped kitchen and a supermarket (Carrefour) next door. I would definitely recommend the Youth Hostel Van Gogh and visit you again soon!

• 6th Jul 2014