Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

It was a centrally located hostel close to most attractions of Brussels. The staff were very helpful and cordial. The atmosphere was good. Morning breakfast was also useful. The card based security to locker room and dorm room was good. One also has the option of buying dinner at the hostel. There is generally some programme going on at night in the common area. The lockers could have been better / more secure.

• 25th Oct 2014
  • India

fine location and great front of house staff, but the room i was placed in was right in the courtyard and it was so loud at night with people partying and smoking outside. Couldnt open the window for fresh air because the noise and non-stop smoke. Poor location for a room. Also- very limited toilets to use. And akward because if you have to pee in the middle of the night from room 5, you have to walk through the courtyard in your pajamas past all the people partying. Really disliked that layout

The best is the breakfast included and the bar

The thing that ruined this hostel for me was the fact that I didn't know visitors are not allowed. Beware. do not bring a visitor into your room. I brought a friend of mine into my dorm room and we fell asleep in my bed. The next morning, I was woken up by the staff telling me that I needed to check out even though I still had another night paid for. They said I would be KICKED OUT unless I paid for an entire night/bed for the visitor who slept in my own bed. never encountered this before.

• 21st Oct 2014

Hello, Of course visitors are allowed! They are just not allowed to sleep without check-in in at the desk that's the point. Otherwise it just become unmanageable... Anybody that sleep has to pay for the night that's why you had to pay for your visitor (same rule in any hostel). If everybody does the same a dorm for 8 would become a dorm for 16 people! Kind regards, Virginie

very good

The staff was very pushy, especially in the mornin for checkout. It was 9:45 and a man barged into our room( of 2 girls) and reminded us that we were checking out and we already knew. Beds were uncomfortable. We asked for a mixed room of 6 and we were the only 2 in there so it was lonely. The bar downstairs is not a good enviornment, it's more of a solo drink than a place to hangout. Only thing I liked was the granola for breakfast. But this was the worat hostel I've stayed in.

No wifi connectivity at all in rooms...breakfast was good....no parking place for the hostel available . ...Staff was very friendly and cooperative...

• 18th Oct 2014
  • India
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Was a nice chilled out hostel. The only downside was that everyone was expected to leave their rooms between 11 and 3 for the staff to clean the rooms whether you were checking out that day or not. If I pay for a couple of nights then I expect to be able to utilize my room all day on the day I do not have to check out. it is find for cleaners to do their job, but surely they can work around you :) would rather that than have to make myself scarce for a couple of hours during the day.

We slept in the lobby although we choosed the arrival time. Why we choose the time while we can't get the room ? It was too bad.

Hello, The arrival time asked is in order to know if you'll arrive late at night or during the night in order not to cancel your booking. But of course if you arrive at 6 in the morning and the check-in is 3pm you can't get the room before that because people are still sleeping at the time you arrived... That's why in a hostel you always have a check-in and a check-out time! But we correctly explained you all this that day when you arrived in the morning. Kind regards, Virginie

The hostel itself was good, and the staff were great! However, the location was not good at all. It got very loud at night, and the other guests staying in the hostel were very rowdy throughout the night. The private room was nice and the bathrooms were alright. Not a bad stay overall, but wouldn't stay again if I had the choice.

It was lovely except for the walk from the main building to the other building at night. I feel if the street were better lit, we would have felt safer. The location was right next to a metro station though so it was safe in that regard. It was clean, good staff, and good map for free. Breakfast was ok, but not as good as advertised.

The hostel is pretty easy to find, several minutes walk from the metro station. Staffs are really friendly and helpful, plus the free map is awesome!!

A bit far from the main train station but it's a not hard to find. Breakfast is standard hostel fare but it's always nice when they offer it. The showers weren't the warmest but were clean and weren't too cramped. The bar has a good selection of Belgian beers, though it's not like you're bereft of choices of great bars in Brussels. Depending on how adverse you are to walking/taking public transport, I'd recommend this place.

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I appreciated receiving maps and recommendations on things to do in the city. The cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms were below average but was well worth it for the price. This was a great place to stay in order to get to see Brussels. Only a short walk away from Grand Place and all the best spots in Brussels.

• 10th Oct 2014

Really nice hostel, breakfast was great and rooms were spacious. Staff were very nice and trilingual, kitchen was big and very well stocked with all cooking needs. Will be returning!

noise at night is disturbing me to sleep at night.... especially music from bar. I think it should be closed or reduce music volume after 22 and, shower booth,,,, no curtain or anything else. My new clothes always get wet.

Not a bad place and location. Friendly staff cheap breakfast of course but that's expected.

Good place, close to everything but in a really quiet area. Kitchen and breakfast was good :)

There is one major disadvantage and it is that there are no lockers in the rooms and it's really unconvenient because you can't leave your stuff there but you have to bring everything to the other building. Or you should sleep with your handback in the bed to make sure nobody will take it and it's really not pleasant. The other thing is that the water in the shower stops too fast and you can't take a proper shower.

The Hostel was a really nice place. Staff very helful, they managed to put 5 of us in one room even though we made a reservation separetly. 20-minute walk from the city center. Breakfast included.

• 27th Sep 2014