Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Great place, extremely helpful staff - facilities were pleasant

Most of the staff were amazing and very helpful.

Our room was on the other side of the street, so we couldn't get any wi-fi connection. The bathroom in our room wasn't that great (open shower and poorly hinged door) and the staff was a bit careless. The bedroom was nice and clean and the beds comfortable, the common room is nice and the kitchen full equipped. The breakfast was OK, with cereal, toast, juice and coffee. I expecially like the patio and the small pub in the hostel.

Issue with beds in the room given to me, they where kind of bent downward. Still confortable the one chosen thanks to the matress. Issue with exchange of air in the corridor where the room was: it could have been better. Otherwise good hostel, nice inner yard where breakfast is taken, nice bar, large kitchen, etc.

The location is good, the breakfast is better than most complementary breakfasts and the ‘what you pay for what you get’ factor is good. On the other hand the outdoor bar means (not unbearable) noise well into the night and the locker room has several lockers with busted doors raising questions over how secure your gear is. Also while not awful the whole place feels like it would benefit from a good clean. All this considered it’s not a bad place to stay and I would return.

Awesome atmosphere & good location. Would definitely stay here again.

The location of the hostel is very good, it only takes 5 mins to walk to the center. The atmosphere is excellent, if you want to meet new friends from all around the world, you should stay here. There is one important thing I would like to mention, the hostel provide limited (40 seat) FREE DINNER on each day at 18:30, but you have to arrive earlier to reserve the seat. The dinner is not bad! All in all, it is worth to stay here!

Adding venting would be fantastic, so the rooms don't become super hot.

I stayed in this hostel only one night. That is of course very short time, but I found this hostel is quite good place to stay. The staff there was very kind. She was eager to give me a help whenever I asked something. Moreover, the breakfast was abundant. It is offered like a buffet, so you can take as much as you can. The only problem is that the door of the room I stayed is a bit rough to open. I tried several times until I succeeded opening the door.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

I had a nice stay at the hostel and no problems prolonging my stay by a night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Some signs for the way to the shower would be helpful as I had some problems finding them the first time :)

Thanks for your comment, we're currrently building signpost for the showers :) Danke

The bathrooms are so poor, on the showers, the water is so hot, you can not control the temperature, everything so ugly. The beds are not good too. There are no lockers inside the rooms and every day you have to do a kind of check out, you have to let your room at 11h and just come back at 15h. The price is so expensive for these structure of hostel. The luggage room is so dirty and a lot of lockers are broken. Definitely I didn't liked this hostel.

Nice bar with good beers

Excellent facilities and very friendly staff.

I had been there only 1 night. I tried to go there from north train station and ı succeed. But when you go out from train station everywhere smells pie and when ı went there around 7 pm and there was lots of homeless and it was scarry. If u ask someone how to go it shows u the way friendly but must be careful who u ask. And if u are from Turkey, place is perfect for u because hostels district is Turkish district. Btw you should try to find CHAB not van gogh youth hostel ;)

A good hostel for the cost. I really like the bar, with great deals on a great selection of Belgian beers. It did help since there wasn't many close places to go at night that were close to the hostel. Otherwise good location close to the train station. We had a lot of little kids staying there for some kind of field trip, which made it a little loud in the morning. But the atmosphere was nice. The breakfast was also not so great but that was expected. Overall, clean, secure, and I recommend.

Nice hostel, really good breakfast, helpful staff and friendly common area!

quite nice hostel.....reasonable price with good service

Overall an OK hostel. The biggest downside was location as it was in a sketchy neighborhood and over 15 minutes from Grand Place. Looking back I would have rather spent a couple extra dollars per night and stayed near the center of town...

The Staff were so lovely and helpful, gave me free printing! The location is a little set off, but it's really not that bad of a walk. A nice breakfast is included and i found the rooms and common areas to be very tidy and clean, with nice thick, starchy sheets. The washroom facilities were fine, the push button for showering was a bit of a nuisance but not horrible. A kettle in the kitchen would have been nice. Overall, recommend it!

We were expecting a better breakfast in the morning but it had very less choices.

• 30th May 2014