Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Decent hostel... nothing spectacular by any means. Would try other hostels in Belgium before going back to this but would have no problems returning if it came down to it.

The showers where awful, and only two toilets for so many people is not good. Good service

The main advantage of the hostel is its location. It's about 20 mins' walk form the Grand-Place, there's also a metro station nearby. However I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. When we arrived nobody even showed us around the place. We even had to look for bathrooms and toilets ourselves. Our room was located in a separate building so to have a shower we had to go ouside. Not really comfortable especially when it's cold. In the kitchen there wasn't even a kettle to boil the water.

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Poland

It is out of the city centre but near to the metro and trainstation Noord. The room was okay, the bed was comfortable. The staff was helpful and kind. The only problem was the breakfast... Damn! Worst ever! I asked for a coffee, I got one, but I would not consider it as a coffee. So the breakfast was quiet poor for the money I paid.

Smelly room, douches didn't invite to take a shower. Partyband played until 23.30h, sink was making noise at various moments. Walls between rooms are made of cupboard, woke up at 2.30 of a neighbor's call. Glad that I was wearing earplugs. Breakfast cheapest of the cheapest.

• 30th May 2015

Very nice hostel and they had a great free breakfast. Everyone was super friendly and easy to talk to. Staff was very nice and friendly. Would stay there again and recommend.

I'm sorry to tell but this is one of the worst hostels i have ever been in. I've been in 3 hostels in Brussels alone and in more than 10-15 in europe so I know how to compare. - Personel: absolutely not enthousiastic-talkative, felt like i was in a hotel line just waiting to give my money and for the rest shut up. - Bar is a nice concept and good, but I think much more could been made of it - Showers: no hot water, and disgusting - Toilet door: door knob almost falls off Location:++

Nice stay, cool people, great location!

For the price we payed for the room it was in a very poor condition, and the outside showers and toilet was over crowed and the showers in very poor condition one had to keep pushing on a button to get any hot water.

I try to avoid this huge hostels because they seem really unpersonal for me. This was an last time booking, because their price is very cheap for a city like Brussels. The staff and the breakfast were nice, but I would´t recomend it for one simple reason: I wake up full of bug bittes...So, if you don´t have another choice than this, take my advice, sleep in your sleeping bag!!!

• 24th May 2015
  • Spain

Hello, Thanks for your comment! We are sorry you didn't have a good time at the Van Gogh. You could had come at the desk and mention it directly to the receptionist! We checked the room after we saw your comment. Nobody else was bitten and the room had no bugs. Kind regards, Virginie

Average hostel. Places to store your things safely, working shower facilities. Rooms were a little cramped and musty, but bedding was clean and fresh. Breakfast included. About the only major downside is that it is a 30 minute walk from the city centre. Wifi does not work in the rooms.

Toilets were really stinky and not clean at all, the room was also a mess and the fact that the shower is crossing the garden it is not comfortable at all, could be more helpful if you put available some showers nearby to the outside rooms. The kitchen near to the room 5 was also a mess not even clean it was not possible to use it because everything was dirty . The location is not near by the city center as you describe, it take around 30 min walking to get to the hostel.

Hello, Thaks for your comment. We are sorry you didn't find the kitchen cleaned enough. We'd like to mention that the kitchen is cleaned every morning by the staff. After that, every guest is supposed to clean once he has done using the kitchen... Walking distance from the hostel to the Grand'Place is max 20min (see also on g00gle map). We are always ready to show you on a map at the desk the fastest way to go! Kind regards, Virginie

Great staff, very friendly and helpful, but I had to leave my room, climb down stairs to get to the toilet and the showers. The showers and the toilets are also in two separate places so it made it a bit more difficult in the morning. The showers were clean enough but not that nice, and also the crowd was friendly but a bit shady and started chatting at around 7am in the room, so I didn't get much sleep. A good, cheap solution in the city but not much comfort to be found.

Probably a fifteen/twenty minute walk from the city center. Average hostel, nothing overtly wrong with it. Staff was very friendly with me.

I would not recommend for young girls travelling alone, I felt very unsafe around the hostel! But the actual hostel is good, would be great to have some soap in the bathrooms to wash your hands. And need new showers but great staff, breakfast is good

I stayed for one night in this hostel and I slept well. I wouldn't really recommend this hostel as the first one to pick in Brussels. Rooms are very basic and especially the pillows are rubbish, bring your own! The bathrooms have had their best time. Really annoying is that you have to press a button every 20 seconds to have some water in the shower. A shower curtain would help a lot as well. That said, the free breakfast was not impressive but good and the staff was very helpful and friendly

• 8th May 2015
  • Belgium

It could be a bit cleaner, it could had a toilet more and fresher air.

Friendly staff however unclean rooms and no double glazing so woke up shivering

I live in another building across the road. Lockers, laundry and breakfast are in the receiption building. No lockers in the room, very incovenience. Breakfast has ham and cheese. Take at least 20 minutes to walk to the city centre.

It is a good choice when you are looking just for staying/sleeping at the hostel. The comfort is not actually a primary advantage. The staff was great, the location is also good and it is a good deal for staying and visiting Belgium for a couple of days.

• 29th Apr 2015