Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Average hostel, kind of noisy if you're in rooms 1-5 which open to a courtyard connected to a bar where the music is played until pretty late, around 1 am. They do have free locker- just for a depsosit that you get back. It's about a 10-15 min walk into the city centre so not super close. Breakfast was your average free breakfast fair. Overall I felt a bit overcharged for something not particularly good.

• 16th Jun 2015

Just an awesome experience. I love the age limit thing. It keps the atmosphere alive. Wifi worked great everywhere! The reception was extremely friendly. All in all I felt at home. Even the roomies were game for fun! Everything was clean and easy the use and fully secure. Wow!

I've found in several euro cities like Dusseldorf Berlin Warsaw or even Dublin, a quite bit expensive city, hostels at the same general good standard of qualities like Van Gogh, but at 12-15 euros per night, not 22 ....! Why Bruxelles are an expensive city, in hostels too?

Not that bad

People sleeping in our beds when we got there and were asked to just change the sheets and pillow cases ourselves... No hot water. And had to go across the street to get to room. Nice bar, decent breakfast. Fairly helpful staff

the hostel had a nice atmosphere, my grumble was the toilets and showers were quite smelly and the staff were not overly friendly or helpful. the location was ok but I felt a bit uncomfortable at night walking from one building to the other.

Probably the worst place I've stayed. The location is not too far from the city. Everything else ranged from bad to terrible. I'd recommend spending the extra money to stay in a nice place.

- Far away from the city center. But next to the underground. - Wifi wasn't good - The shower was the worst, it never get warm. - we stayed in different buildings - and we were very unhappy because we payed 23 euros.

The hostel is fine, just that!!! dont expect anything more... wi fi doesnt work in the upper floors and the guy at the reception is a complete idiot, disrespectfull and arrogant!! couldnt get his name if not I would publish it!!! At the end is just a place to sleep no more than that

Decent hostel... nothing spectacular by any means. Would try other hostels in Belgium before going back to this but would have no problems returning if it came down to it.

The showers where awful, and only two toilets for so many people is not good. Good service

The main advantage of the hostel is its location. It's about 20 mins' walk form the Grand-Place, there's also a metro station nearby. However I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. When we arrived nobody even showed us around the place. We even had to look for bathrooms and toilets ourselves. Our room was located in a separate building so to have a shower we had to go ouside. Not really comfortable especially when it's cold. In the kitchen there wasn't even a kettle to boil the water.

It is out of the city centre but near to the metro and trainstation Noord. The room was okay, the bed was comfortable. The staff was helpful and kind. The only problem was the breakfast... Damn! Worst ever! I asked for a coffee, I got one, but I would not consider it as a coffee. So the breakfast was quiet poor for the money I paid.

Smelly room, douches didn't invite to take a shower. Partyband played until 23.30h, sink was making noise at various moments. Walls between rooms are made of cupboard, woke up at 2.30 of a neighbor's call. Glad that I was wearing earplugs. Breakfast cheapest of the cheapest.

• 30th May 2015

Very nice hostel and they had a great free breakfast. Everyone was super friendly and easy to talk to. Staff was very nice and friendly. Would stay there again and recommend.

I'm sorry to tell but this is one of the worst hostels i have ever been in. I've been in 3 hostels in Brussels alone and in more than 10-15 in europe so I know how to compare. - Personel: absolutely not enthousiastic-talkative, felt like i was in a hotel line just waiting to give my money and for the rest shut up. - Bar is a nice concept and good, but I think much more could been made of it - Showers: no hot water, and disgusting - Toilet door: door knob almost falls off Location:++

Nice stay, cool people, great location!

For the price we payed for the room it was in a very poor condition, and the outside showers and toilet was over crowed and the showers in very poor condition one had to keep pushing on a button to get any hot water.

I try to avoid this huge hostels because they seem really unpersonal for me. This was an last time booking, because their price is very cheap for a city like Brussels. The staff and the breakfast were nice, but I would´t recomend it for one simple reason: I wake up full of bug bittes...So, if you don´t have another choice than this, take my advice, sleep in your sleeping bag!!!

• 24th May 2015
  • Spain

Hello, Thanks for your comment! We are sorry you didn't have a good time at the Van Gogh. You could had come at the desk and mention it directly to the receptionist! We checked the room after we saw your comment. Nobody else was bitten and the room had no bugs. Kind regards, Virginie

Average hostel. Places to store your things safely, working shower facilities. Rooms were a little cramped and musty, but bedding was clean and fresh. Breakfast included. About the only major downside is that it is a 30 minute walk from the city centre. Wifi does not work in the rooms.