Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Keep looking

The bathroom was just terrible. Not very clean and horrible shower

Staff was really helpful, hostel was a 15 min walk from the Grand Place, but the only big problem is that it doesnt have lockers. I'd love to see them add this feauture.

nice place with friendly staff. lack in plugs and towels.

Hostel is all right, nothing special but okay if you're just on a city trip and offers the basics you need. Breakfast is good though and was for free.

I expected only adult travellers in the hostel but unfortunately all other rooms on my floor were taken by school trip that was very noisy during the night (running around the corridor, jumping from beds etc.). The hostel is close to the centre and provides breakfast but unfortunately my experience was spoilt by children next door who probably should have not stayed in accommodation that is designed for adults.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Poland

It was great.

It's better to have locker in the room.

Average hostel, not bad, just nothing special. I wish they would be lockers in the room or just those like cages under the bunk beds so you don't have to store your things downstairs.

The locker room seems to be in a real state of mess. There could be a useable TV in the living room. Other than that the place seems nice. There could be some more bathrooms and washrooms available, though I never faced any problems.

The shower in the hostel is pretty bad, as well as the locker room. We were leaving in a private room. The beds and pillows are not comfortable. Overall the hostel is pretty old and dirty. But there is wifi available in the rooms and stuff is quite nice.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Russia

The staff that I dealt with were just not friendly at all. When I arrived at the hostel I walked up to the front desk and was ignored by the person sitting right in front of me until I coughed and said "hello?" I felt like an intrusion, a hassle, very unwelcome. However, other than the staff, I really liked the hostel itself--it has a lovely courtyard and plenty of places to go relax, as well as a bar with Belgian beers which I also enjoyed. The bathroom was kind of dirty. Breakfast was good.

• 17th Apr 2014

One of the best!

One of the worst hostels I've stayed in. Lockers are beat up, had to tug door of one open and it came out with such force it cut and blacked my eye for a week. Staff is not really helpful. Asked for doctor notes to be scanned so I could keep for records on computer, took going through 3 staff members to get it done finally. Some homeless guy took my sheets and pillow 2nd night, I just slept in my sleeping bag rather than ask the staff for anything. Bathroom/ shower is outside of building.

The hostel was a bit inconvenient as it was in two buildings diagonally opposite each other, with reception and facilities only in one which made for a lot of hassle. There was a good kitchen and bar area, but the lighting in the stairwells and hall ways for the rooms was terrible! apart from that it was an enjoyable stay.

the hostel was fine but NEVER for the price they ask for. the rooms didnt have WiFi, i had to stand in the corridor to get a little bit of signal, enough to tell my family I was ok. the beds didnt have proper matresses, they have a plastic matress instead the breakfast is according to what you pay you cant ask for more finally, the staff wasnt attentive and helpful about the inquiries above or any other in particular

Excellent breakfast. Nice rooms. Nice showers. Front door didn't lock, so there some people at breakfast who had just come in off the street (!) Lovely bar in the evening though.

Really loved the place ! I think its perfect, really didn't face any problems at all. Maybe to be extra demanding, I would ask for a better breakfast, but thats it :)

thanks for your comment! We 're working on improving breakfast :)

Rooms look like a prison cell, dorm door doesnt close properly unless tugged strongly, no hot water shower, location in a dodgy area near a red light district. Prepare to walk.

This is absolute bare-bones accommodation. The rooms were clean, but that's about all that can be said for it. Not a central location, a minimal and unappetizing breakfast, and weak wifi. The showers were push-button, giving you about ten seconds of water at a time, and the floors were wet even outside the shower stalls. That being said, for 36 Euro I could get a single room, which would not be possible at any other hostel. Just know what you're getting into!

• 8th Apr 2014