Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Our stay was overall not bad. we stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm, and there were only us in the room. Nobody had left their luggage or staff, so we thought nobody would come. Yet in fact there were two other guys in our room who came at 4 am and they were drunk and they woke us up. Rather than this misfortune the hostel was cool. They serve a great breakfast in the morning.

I enjoyed my stay here, staff were friendly and helpful, it was slightly annoying that there were not lockers inside the room, every time i wanted to get one of my valuables I had to go from my room upstairs outside to the lockers behind reception which was fine, was just a lot of back and forth if i forgot something. Also there were ten beds in the room, but only three plug sockets, not really catering to the amount of people staying in there. Breakfast was great

The facilities need a desperate upgrade. Especially the upstairs showers. It's basically a hole in the wall. The bar down stairs was reasonably priced but wasn't open all that often. There was no wifi at all on the top floor. It wasn't too far from the city, it's definitely a budget hostel, but fine for a few nights.

Although the toilettes and showers were not kept very clean, for example the showers didn't have a curtain or anything to stop water from getting onto the floor and there was always hair in the drain, the hostel was very much worth the price.

• 18th Sep 2015

Only stayed for one night. Staff very friendly and helpful. Allowed me to push my motorcycle through reception into the centre courtyard. Dorms standard and clean. Showers downstairs though. Atmosphere quite good. Kitchen area. Standard breakfast for a hostel, bread, cheese, meat, cereal, jams, tea and coffee. A little bit out of the centre but only a 20 minute walk. Would stay again.

Very nice service and cool staff, I was hesitant because of the age limit and that I'm apparently too old for this stuff (32), but it's ok, nice people. Location is just bit off the centre, you can get there by public transport though and north station is near. The bed in the private room was a bit noisy.

There is one member of the staff that stays overnight that clearly doesnt like his job and apparently he's got the interest of showing people this. He was kind of rude when required to deal with people in normal backpacking trouble (what's the point of a hostel?). That really made me feel unconfortable and definitely not welcome. The rest is good in general, good atmophere. Beds may have not individual plugs.

• 14th Sep 2015

Cool place but little far from downtown

Beautiful outside area and area for just relaxing, nice place and good people, close ish to the city centre.

I booked this hostel last minute and I was pleasantly surprised. I love that the dorm was only a 4 person and not extremely crowded like other hostels' I've stayed at. The beds were clean and comfortable and the location was quite at night meaning I actually got to sleep. I love that there was a sink and mirror in the room (again after traveling for a year, the little things count). The Italian receptionist was super nice and friendly. Oh and I loved the bar and the people that worked it!! Great

It's easy to like the place. Nice atmosphere, SUPER cool staff. The location isn't far from city center (10-15 min walk). The pub inside the hostel and the breakfast are nice pluses. The biggest problem would be getting a decent bath in the place. Some days hot water, others don't. Is too much ask for decent showers? Internet signal very poor in the bedrooms. Cleaning was ok. I'd come back for sure.

This was my first stop on a long solo trip, and I felt comfortable and secure (for me and my belongings) the whole stay. The bar and lobby vibe were great – the hostel is a good size for meeting people. Bathrooms and dorms were relatively clean, and I never had to wait too long for a shower. The hostel is a bit of a hike to the city center, though – I averaged a 15-minute walk to get to Grand Place Market. It can be a bit of a drain on your time (and feet) but isn't a prohibitive distance.

The rooms were basic, as you would expect from a hostel. We were upgraded from a shared bathroom to a private bathroom on arrival, but the bathrooms are very tired and a bit grimey. The rooms seemed clean enough. The bar was cheap and there was always a few people around. Staff on reception were very helpful and friendly when we prspoke to them. The area is 15-20 minu walk from town, and a 15 min metro from midi train station so good location.

• 1st Sep 2015

Really brilliant hostel possibly the best hostel I've ever stayed in ! Inside is very nice and almost of a hotel standard the rooms are big, clean and well kept. The hostel is roughly ten or 15 min walk from the centre so location is also fine. The best part of this hostel is the social side of it there's a really cool bar with all the famous Belgian beer for the cheapest price in town!! There's a big kind of common area next to the bar and in the garden where everyone hangs out :) love it!!

• 27th Aug 2015

Really great hostel- we stayed there in the summer and forgot to leave a review. Great staff and good rooms too !

Great location , and good breakfast. The atmosphere is nice and people are friemdly. Would go back ! So close to down town .

The rooms are quite large and clean. I stayed in a bungalo type dorm, though, so there was no easy access to a toilet or a shower (all in a different building). Good location for site seeing, however it felt a little sketchy after dark. All in all it was definitely good value for money.

Absolutely loveley staff! Really friendly atmosphere with a nice bar. Felt extremely safe leaving our rucksacks in their lockers in the day! Showers and toilets basic but clean, close to metro station. Would definitely recommend!

• 17th Aug 2015

Good hostel and very cheap, showers and toilets dirty but great place to meet with other travellers. Staff very friendly and helpful

• 15th Aug 2015

Good stay here and an enjoyable time in the city. Good access to transit and within walking distance of many attractions. I recommend.