Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

Absolutely loved my stay at the bungalow! The staff were so welcoming and very approachable. The entire hostel in itself was such a great place, met so many other travellers and had the best time! The free day tours were also quite great, and worth going to! I will definitely be back next time I'm in maui! Banana bungalow felt like home away from home!

The atmosphere of this hostel is awesome, mostly young people who wanna have a good time. Excellet wifi, nice staff, really good trips offered for free. The location is not that good if you don't have a car, but in my opinion, you will need one for every place in the island or you can just use their free trips. The bathroons are shared so they are not that clean, but the private rooms are definitely ok, a lilttle bit noise.

I expected the hostel to be more central or at least closer to shops & restaurants. You have to walk about 30 mins one way to the next Safeway. The atmosphere was good, very mixed people - old and young - which i really liked. Unfortunately there is no window in the rooms - therefore no ventilation at all! Some of the stuff tend to be a bit rude, others were very friendly and helpfull. Liked the private bathrooms, eventhough they could be more clean.

• 23rd Apr 2014

I stayed one night and the staff and guests were friendly, and the free tours are well received so it is good for meeting people to do trips with. Though the dorms and bathrooms were cramped and dark. I have stayed in so many great hostels and being slightly older decided to move to another local hostel which I found more comfortable with great people also.

Had the week of my life at the Banana Bungalow - I would absolutely stay here again. Staff were great and the tours basically made the trip. Lots of great people here. That being said, there are no lockers in the room, so aside from putting things in the safe, you don't really have a secure place in your room to lock things up. I saw roaches here and there - but this comes with the territory of warm climate, humidity and an old building. I would absolutely recommend to an open-minded traveller

Amazing stay, was recommended this place a few years ago and I can see why! Awesome atmosphere and the free tours are great, it's so good that I extended my stay. If you want a good vibe and great tours stay here

It was amazing!! The staff is the best, everyone is friendly, great vibe! It has a hot tub, drinking games every night, you feel like everyone's your family. The tours included are awesome! Make sure to tip the drivers/guides at least 20$, they live out of tips and they are very cool guys, especially Charles the canadian guy, funny dude. One of the best hostels I've stayed in my life! And I've been staying in hostels since 1998 so I know what I'm talking about. The Banana rules! Go Bananas!!!

Would not recommend staying here. No staff at site during the night/no security. Not a comfortable room. Options for room were to leave windows open with assorted bugs coming through damaged and poor fitting window screens or close windows and sleep in sauna-like temperatures with floor fan running. For number of rooms difficult at times to get the opportunity to gain entry to a bathroom. Loud noises/disruptive guests till 2AM. Stranger gained access to our room!!!

• 5th Apr 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

No towels were provided, they entered the room without letting us know when we were out and removed only half of our rubbish, they took a $55 "Deposit" which was suppose to be deducted from the total end charge and further charged us upon departure with authority on my credit card. They were just dumb. Anoyying and dissapointing.

• 27th Mar 2014

Great hostel, decent rooms and wifi. Slightly old school facilities (e.g. shower) but great location, staff and the bonus of the tours as part of the stay is excellent.

I Highly recommend this hostel!

• 25th Mar 2014

Amazing experience. The staff was awesome and the guests were from all over the world. The free tours were fun and well organized.

• 24th Mar 2014

Fantastic atmosphere. Great free trips out. Highly recommend. Hot tub is an absolute bonus.

• 13th Mar 2014

Really enjoyed our stay there. ANNIE was a star, runs a very tight ship. Room was very comfortable, clean and quiet. Facilities are great, lots of space to socialise, or have quiet time. Great value for money.

Definitely recommend, great way to seethe island with daily tours. Great ppl n great place!!

• 27th Feb 2014

Cleanest hostel I have been to. Not what I would call a party hostel, but it had a great atmosphere. The location is not good, but they do free trips every day to the beach and other places. I'd recommend it for sure.

• 26th Feb 2014

The best hostel in Maui! Super cool staff, nice

Clean, fresh paint, newly renovated washrooms. Staff were friendly for the most part, but those that took us on the tours seemed more interested in receiving their tip at the end of the day rather than actually being good tour guides. People were social and always up for a good time. The fan in our room drowned out any noise from others. Within walking distance to grocery store. Would stay again but would rent our own car to explore on our own or just follow the tour vans. Clean kitchen to cook.

Wonderful hostel to meet people and experience Maui! The facilities were fine and beds comfortable. Great call for quiet time in the evening gives those wanting to sleep the opportunity to do so.

• 10th Feb 2014