Barnacles Quay Street Galway City Reviews

10 Quay Street, Galway, Ireland

Great location in the middle of everything and nice private room/bathroom that seemed clean. Windows were double paned to help drown out the street noise and worked quite well! Only downfall was some very loud guests, who seemed to think this was a college dorm (doors open and running around from room to room yelling loudly). Granted a fun atmosphere is ok and noise is to be expected, but wish more was done to encourage courtesy for other guests, as I've seen with other hostels.

• 22nd May 2015

Great location , friendly staff, didn't like there were some longterm residents which is fine if there nice but some werent other than that I enjoyed my stay in galway

This hostel was one of the first hostels that we went in where you could definitely tell that they kept the place super clean. when you're traveling you kind of get used to other peoples smells, but this hostel was so nice to come into and smell cleaners, bleach, you knew that they kept things clean. located right on Quay street you barely have to leave the main area. pretty quiet in the dorm considering there is night life right out your window.

I really loved this hostel because of the very central location as well as how clean and organized it was. It was a really nice room and had a nice atmosphere for staying in Galway for a couple days.

Nice hostel, i would recommend it. The only problem is the low wi-fi, sometimes it stops and you need to ask the staff to restart the modem/router. They have free past every sunday night =]. There is always someone who knows how to play the guitar in the living room.

Great place to stay, close to pubs/shopping/food... Check in was guaranteed at 3 however we weren't allowed into our rooms until close to 4... Tough after a long day of traveling.

Very secure hostel. They have guitars a drum box. Everything you could possible ask for a jam between fellow musicians. Bedrooms were cool. Would stay here agan

Excellent hostel in Galway!! I am a musician that was touring through and they had an acoustic guitar, classical guitar, uke, and a cajon available for anyone to use. The staff was very kind and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• 19th Apr 2015

Thanks for all the great music over the past week, we would love to have you stay with us again. Happy travels ~ Barnacles team

Hostel was great but staff were incredibly rude and there was no need. Be aware that they take full payment from your visa for the first night as a deposit and then refund it a couple of days later.I wasn't expecting to be €150 down as we were paying cash. Turns out that for a few days, I actually paid double until I wait for them to refund me. I've never heard of anyone else using this policy and they didn't even bother explaining it when I made the booming.

• 11th Apr 2015

People, we're very friendly and accomodating. I loved my stay and would stay again in a small room, not the large shared rooms. thanks!

I loved the hostel. Very kind staff.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Colombia

My only gripe was that the wifi was very slow. Everything else was very good. Very comfy, clean, and friendly place.

• 2nd Apr 2015

Best hostel I've ever stayed in my life. Better than the one at Dublin (same enterprise). In the last day of my staying I got 44€ stolen from my purse in my own bedroom but this was none of the hostel fault. I recommend to lock your stuff in the cage every time you leave the room and every time you go to sleep.

• 28th Mar 2015

I wasn't sure what to expect but this place far exceeded my expectations. Amazing staff, amazing location, free breakfast, cozy common room, activities at night and the rooms were clean and the showers were decent. I also liked that you could book day tours to the cliffs with the front desk and the bus comes right to the hostel to pick you up. I am not sure but I believe this is true for other day trip tours as well. Anyway, great place, would stay here again.

Very satisfied how everything worked out! The room was clean, the staff was vert friendly, and perfect location for a night out!

I did not sleep very much, room was quite cramped with people who would get up to go to work, the fact that it was ensuite made it worst because of noise between shower and toilets + broken air extracteur was broken so made even worst noise!

Perfect location in the idle of nightlife. It wasn't loud like others have noted. The staff were really helpful and assisted me in booking a room in their hostel in Dublin for the next night! I would definitely stay here again.

• 26th Mar 2015

I stayed here one night and it was very pleasant. They had a pretty decent breakfast they offered and the places to store your bags worked well if you bring your own lock along. The bathrooms where nice as well in the 12 room mixed dorm. The staff was friendly and helpful.

decent hostel, loved the area it was in.

• 19th Mar 2015

I slept one night at Barnacles and it was everything okay, but the second time not! Me and 4 friends (3 guys and 1 girl) booked beds in an 8-bed-room. The hostel is located right in the pedestrian area with pubs everywhere around you. We took some pints in the city and came home at around 2:30. A guy in his fities was not statisfied with how we behaved (which actually wasn't soundless but appropriate for five mates coming home after taking a drink) and we nearly got kicked out. Not for drinking!

• 18th Mar 2015