Beijing Drum Tower Youth Hostel Reviews

No.51 JiuGuLou Da Jie, XiCheng District, Beijing, China

This hostel was in a pretty central location which was great (Close to the Hutong area) and very easy to find from the Guloudajie metro stop on the line 2 (blue line). The staff were helpful but very slow on the reception. One person handling calls and all check ins/outs (there were often other staff there who didn't seem to have to sense to help out when there were people waiting). My dorm was what you come to expect (a place to put the head down. Wash facilities were dirty. No atmosphere.

• 2nd Oct 2013

Not the best place to stay in Beijing. I was placed in a tiny room with no windows, so a bit gloomy. I spent only a night in there but I was glad I had another night booked in a different hostel. Probably this review is influenced mostly because of the room I stayed, so probably I would have a better opinion if I had been placed in a different one. Well-located, though.

Booked five nights at this hostel, only stayed for one. Room was horrid. I got 'upgraded' to a four person dorm which was tiny. two bunk beds squished into the smallest space possible, no windows, one dingy lamp, hair on the floor. ensuite was dirty and due to no windows or ventilation the room was dank and smelly. I woke up the next day and saw two cockroaches. Cleaning lady didn't clean at all and instead of changing the bedding, just rolled it up again. Gross.

Showers did not work very well (one was broken, in the other one water pressure was really low so barely any water) and bathrooms were not too clean. Location is good though.

Location is too touristy for my taste but nicely situated by a subway stop. Comfortable mattresses. But just so dirty!!

Stayed for 6 nights and nothing was cleaned inside (or outside) the room. The toilet roll holder was covered with what looked like years of scum and the shower leaked everywhere. The location was good and some staff better than others - some didnt seem to care.

• 10th Sep 2013

We enjoyed staying in the room on the 4th floor. A great view south over the city. The staff were friendly and tried to help. However there were big gaps in their knowledge, especially of the Hiking tour to the Great Wall that we booked though them. Their English was basic and not up to offering useful tourist advice ( though our Chinese is much worse).

Nice place.

A nice place to stay. The staff were very helpful. Great location! Not the most beautiful place I've stayed in but it was very clean and offered everything I needed. I will stay here again!

The staff were SO helpful to me, and the place had character and is well kept up. I can tell they change the duvet covers between guests, which is great. Location was convenient, though less fun after all the recent bulldozing (boo!). The price was a little high, but that's Beijing - it was competitive. The only negative thing was that my bathroom smelled like maybe the drainage wasn't quite right, but I think this is very common in old Beijing buildings. A good hostel!

Staff, especially volunteer staff, were very helpful. However, my room (#110) was in very poor condition with broken door and strong mold/fungus problem. Walls stained with mold and smell very strong. After 7 hours, staff was successful to find me a better room upstairs. I believe room #110, in present condition, should not receive guests. Staff are very hard-working, but facility condition has deteriorated since 2 years ago.

• 19th Jul 2013

A simple clean up would turn this place into a great hostel. Showers and toilets are manky.