City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

Food and beer is too expensive. The hostel is very nice and the atmosphere too!

The hostel is not central, but it is close to the subway and the distance from the hostel to central shanghai was really no problem. There is one change to rewch line 2, and frim there you can travel to places of interest very easily. Alternatively, taxi is cheap and also convient. The staff were really helpful and positive, they do a good job! The room was really clean and comfortable enough. Just hard bed (but in china harder beds are popular!). Hey, for what was £10 for one night !

It was a very disappointing stay. The whole place stinks cigarette the moment you walk into the front door. Ppl just smoke everywhere there - in the room, corridor, bathroom. Everywhere. I only stayed the night but bcos I had previously booked and paid. The beds itself are ok tho and bed sheet clean.

Decent location and pretty close to subway. However, poor showers as water pressure was lousy.

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • Singapore

Great hostel! The bar & restaurant is fantastic,the food is incredible tasty with comfortable room lived, and Amelia is amazing friendly and helpful,very convenient to the metro, would stay again and highly recommend.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • China

Staff extremely friendly and helpful. On my first night I was allowed to switch rooms as one guys snoring was actually unbearable. The next two nights I had a private room, comfortable bed, quite fast internet connection. The hostel bar area, is a great way of getting chatting to other travellers. Yes, crossing the road to the hostel can take some time, but this is China. Also, check out the shopping mall opposite, for some cheap eats :)

Recently stayed for 3 nights, the first in a 4-bed dorm and the other 2 nights in a private room. On the first night, the receptionist allowed me to swap rooms as one guy's snoring was unbearable. Staff very friendly, private room comfortable, with decent internet speed. Easy to get talking to other travellers at the hostel bar :)

The reception tended to have problems understanding requests in English and turned out to be mostly unhelpful. The rest of the hostel was nice. A fine place to stay, but a little bit out of the way.

Friendly English speaking staff. Clean premises. nice bar for hanging out with friends.

This hostel is brutal. Yes it's cheap, but it also has the feel of a prison. The showers are bad, the staff is slow and not very friendly..and unlike many hostels out there, they don't rent towels...oh wait let me rephrase that, they tell you they rent towels for a depoist of 40 RMB, but when you go to return the towels another staff member says... no we don't rent towels, you own that towel now. I would never stay here again.

• 14th Nov 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, good location, clean rooms, good value for money.

The location of this place is awful. Called the 'City Central' but way out on line 3 and well away from the city centre. Awful busy road (6 lanes of crazy traffic) to cross from MRT. Hostel itself nickel and dimes over everything. Drinks/snacks twice the price of the local shops for the same thing, they charge for a padlock for the lockers, plus for towels as well as using internet! No soap in the showers either and were out of loo paper when I needed. Staff next to useless and unsecure

• 7th Nov 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

Me and my friends were staying for 3 nights at 'City Central International Hostel'. Unfortunately, in the 2nd night, we were woken up at 6am by a Korean man, who entered our room with the excess key randomly given by one of the staff members accusing us of stealing his passport. He tried to violently force us to give him back his passport. It turned out that one of the staff members randomly accused us and just gave the guy an entry key to our room. THIS HOSTEL IS NOT SAFE! DO NOT BOOK IT!!!!!

• 6th Nov 2014

had a great time at this hostel, despite a rocky start. the arrogant receptionist didnt want to accept our booking and tried charging us more money, despite a hostelworld booking. She wouldnt let us check in until 21:00, even though we had arrived at 10:00. we waited for her to go on a break and then checked in with the other staff (who were extremely helpful!) nice spacious rooms and great facilities. clean showers! and great bar/restaurant. I would definitely recommend!

overall a good hostel. no real complaints, but wifi is only accessible in the lobby.

Staff is not very friendly and very disorganized. I have been to this hostel many times and each time it takes at least 20 minutes or more to check in. They are slow and don't put the customers first.

No wifi in the rooms. They advertise as simply "Free Wifi", but do not specify that it is only in the lobby and dining area which have limited seating. Location is absolutely terrible, it took me 20+ minutes on three separate occasions to get a taxi. It was insane. Eventually I just black-cabbed and paid the exorbitant amount for that... Rooms are very clean, staff friendly and food decent at the restaurant (great americano)

• 31st Oct 2014

Nice place the lounge is super comfy, a bit far away from most stuff in town though.

The shower and shower head was filled with black mold. There was so much mold in the shower it caused the whole room to have a moldy and mildew smell. The drain in the shower also didn't drain properly, causing water to full at the bottom of the shower.

Great place for young tourists or foreigners! I booked a single bedroom just for one night but I was pretty satisfied and the staff was very nice, too.

• 18th Oct 2014