City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

Met amazing people and the staff were ok. Hey will help you if you ask the right questions but on the whole it was an amazing hostel. It's close to bus stops and the metro so it's easy to get places. definitely recommend it to everyone who is looking for a good atmosphere, party hostel.

room is not so big. although there are cleaners keep maintaining cleanliness in common area, no one came n change my bed sheet and blanket during my over two weeks' stay here since i know shanghai quite well so location is not a problem fir me. inlt issue is wifi. we dont have wifi connection in room. so everyone should go to lobby area to use internet however the space is limited there and connection is poor.

• 19th Jun 2015
  • China

First of all. It's not in the City Centre. But close to line 4. And that's actually great. You can get everywhere pretty easy. I experienced it twice, that you check in and once you are in the dorm no bed is free. But in cases like this the friendly staff helps you out pretty good.The Bar is cool somehow . One the one hand it's a nice place to relax and meet new people but it smells like smoke the whole time. Somehow you feel like a smoked salmon there. But all in all a nice place to stay.

The bar and downstairs area felt very sociable but the upper floors were still quiet, which was good. Rooms were clean and beds quite comfortable. The AC in our room didn't go low enough so it was too hot and they didn't provide us with towels - the only option was to 40 RMB for one, which is way too expensive in my opinion. Bathroom facilities were mostly clean. No wifi in the rooms or plug sockets near the beds, which was inconvenient.

• 12th Jun 2015

I stayed here for 2 nights, together with two friends in a private deluxe 3 bedroom. the room was clean and spacious. It is claimed that there is wifi in the hostel, but it's just on on one side of the building. So for wifi we had to go to the restaurant downstairs. In daytime the location is quite convenient as it is located near subway station Caoyang Rd. But for going out at night in the area near the bund, it's less convenient; it will take about half an hour by taxi and cost around 40 RMB.

• 12th Jun 2015

no wifi in the room dirty

3 nights basically...horrible location if you want to sightseeing the city, the bed was very good, kind of big, the bathroom and toilet were probably the most awful things in the hostel (bad smells, always dirty, no toilet paper), the atmosphere was bad if you are young and you want to meet people, the bar is extremely overpriced, no WiFi at the rooms... was safe, but boring, kind of ugly and I would like to suggest you to pick something else with the same price like rock and wood...

it is a good hostel. the bar area is cool good place to chill out and meet people. rooms are good value but it is over priced for beer and food

It's a really nice place. You will like the restaurant !

Very convenient 24-hour check-in/check-out with clean bathrooms and common areas. As other reviewers have mentioned, the wifi is only accessible in the common area. The hostel is close to the subway, grocery store, and mall. Great value for my one night stay.

Location is not great for Shanghai sightseeing. Probably best to stay somewhere off Nanjing Rd. Staff spoke poor English and was not helpful in getting a cab, even though I told them in advance. All that could have been forgiven if the location was good.

I lived in a single room, was in Shanghai for an exhibition. The room was small compared to the price, location was okay, most staff were very nice and friendly. The bar and atmosphere was decent, but I expected it would be more social. However, the cleaning is bad I assume, cause I found a bug on my bed, which was really scaring.

• 16th May 2015
  • China

The staffs were helpful and friendly. The facilities were great, I washed my clothes there. They gave you the laundry detergent when you pay to use the washing machine. The location is not bad but I felt like it was dodgy as compared to other areas. Best suitable for those travelling in pairs or groups. The bathrooms and rooms were clean. One thing I was disturbed by was that I saw boogers on the wall next to bed where I sleep. I slept on the top of the bunk bed (can't remember room number).

The staff was great. The common area and bar were excellent. Great price for beer and the bar staff was super helpful. Location is a little out of the way, but a cab or metro is very convenient. I would most definitely stay here again.

• 14th May 2015

Very unfriendly staff, they tried to charge you for nearly everything. Light in the hostelroom wasn't working. Internet was not working. Really bad feeling being there. Definately one of the worst hostels i've ever been.

Some staff was not helpful.

It's the 5th time that i choose this hostel ... at this time i went with my parents too. Maybe the best one in shanghai ... and i will never change.

The staff were extremely impolite. I've lived in China for three years, so I've seen some impolite service, bit this was a whole new level. Even just asking questions on how to get around seemed like a massive task to them. Internet was terrible. I usually go to Rock & Wood Hostel - I'll be sticking to that choice from now on as the rooms there are cleaner, nicer, have wifi and the staff are extremely friendly and eager to help.I think the price is around the same, even if it's more,worth it.

Had a lot of fun staying here. The atmosphere is very conducive to meeting other people in the hostel. I recommend that you arrive on a Friday, as I did, so you can meet people at the "dumpling party." The first floor has a hug cafe/bar area, and it's a nice place to go before you go out to some of Shanghai's famous clubs, which are a 30-50 rmb taxi ride away.

• 8th May 2015

Great bartender! Nicked named him Smiley. Would recommend to friends. Truly is central, close to subway and great cheap street food.

• 8th May 2015