City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

Recently stayed for 3 nights, the first in a 4-bed dorm and the other 2 nights in a private room. On the first night, the receptionist allowed me to swap rooms as one guy's snoring was unbearable. Staff very friendly, private room comfortable, with decent internet speed. Easy to get talking to other travellers at the hostel bar :)

This hostel is brutal. Yes it's cheap, but it also has the feel of a prison. The showers are bad, the staff is slow and not very friendly..and unlike many hostels out there, they don't rent towels...oh wait let me rephrase that, they tell you they rent towels for a depoist of 40 RMB, but when you go to return the towels another staff member says... no we don't rent towels, you own that towel now. I would never stay here again.

• 14th Nov 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, good location, clean rooms, good value for money.

The location of this place is awful. Called the 'City Central' but way out on line 3 and well away from the city centre. Awful busy road (6 lanes of crazy traffic) to cross from MRT. Hostel itself nickel and dimes over everything. Drinks/snacks twice the price of the local shops for the same thing, they charge for a padlock for the lockers, plus for towels as well as using internet! No soap in the showers either and were out of loo paper when I needed. Staff next to useless and unsecure

• 7th Nov 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

Me and my friends were staying for 3 nights at 'City Central International Hostel'. Unfortunately, in the 2nd night, we were woken up at 6am by a Korean man, who entered our room with the excess key randomly given by one of the staff members accusing us of stealing his passport. He tried to violently force us to give him back his passport. It turned out that one of the staff members randomly accused us and just gave the guy an entry key to our room. THIS HOSTEL IS NOT SAFE! DO NOT BOOK IT!!!!!

• 6th Nov 2014

overall a good hostel. no real complaints, but wifi is only accessible in the lobby.

Staff is not very friendly and very disorganized. I have been to this hostel many times and each time it takes at least 20 minutes or more to check in. They are slow and don't put the customers first.

No wifi in the rooms. They advertise as simply "Free Wifi", but do not specify that it is only in the lobby and dining area which have limited seating. Location is absolutely terrible, it took me 20+ minutes on three separate occasions to get a taxi. It was insane. Eventually I just black-cabbed and paid the exorbitant amount for that... Rooms are very clean, staff friendly and food decent at the restaurant (great americano)

• 31st Oct 2014

Nice place the lounge is super comfy, a bit far away from most stuff in town though.

The shower and shower head was filled with black mold. There was so much mold in the shower it caused the whole room to have a moldy and mildew smell. The drain in the shower also didn't drain properly, causing water to full at the bottom of the shower.

Great place for young tourists or foreigners! I booked a single bedroom just for one night but I was pretty satisfied and the staff was very nice, too.

• 18th Oct 2014

shower booth could get much cleaner! it was dirty a lot :( but other than this! it was good! thank you

• 18th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Good hostel but wifi only works in the lobby which has limited seating. Also the location isn't the best as it takes half an hour and 2 metro lines to get to the bund.

It is still nice place, but 2 years ago it was cheaper, breakfast was included and most of all it was much more clean, now is absolutely not.

Nice location near subway station. Amazing staff. Fantastic international atmosphere.

• 13th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

2nd time staying here. The common area/bar is great, one of the best I've stayed in. It's great for meeting people, cosy during the day and often lively at night depending on the crowd. Stayed in the 4 bed dorm again and it is comfortable and cleaned regularly. Since I was here last year prices in the bar have gone up and it is now actually very expensive to drink in there. A bottle of Tsingtao for 20rmb is ridiculous.Lack of 'Happy Hour' or other offers here is a big negative too.

Everyone was really nice. We had a 2 person room and everything was clean and comfortable. It was overall a really great stay but we did not try the cafe they have.

• 6th Oct 2014

Great location, clean (for china) and atmosphere in bar area is great for socialising! But wifi is terrible and the whole place is designed to make you spend loads of money (no wifi in rooms, "conveniently" so you have to go cafe/bar) and buy something! So basically they don't care if you have a good time or not. All they want is £££££

Everything was great. The laundry facilities was a bit overpriced, but at least it included washing powder. Drying the clothes outside made me a bit nervous, but nothing was lost, and the clothes got clean!

Didn't spend a ton of time there because I was out and about in the city, but one of the great things about this hostel is its location. You can hop on the subway a block away (Caoyang Station), and it is very convenient to get all around the city from there. The staff was helpful and friendly. Their English is not bad, but I speak Mandarin so that wasn't a major concern of mine. The room was spacious and clean, and every night when I returned to my room I had fresh towels. No complaints here!

• 4th Oct 2014