City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

No wifi in the rooms. They advertise as simply "Free Wifi", but do not specify that it is only in the lobby and dining area which have limited seating. Location is absolutely terrible, it took me 20+ minutes on three separate occasions to get a taxi. It was insane. Eventually I just black-cabbed and paid the exorbitant amount for that... Rooms are very clean, staff friendly and food decent at the restaurant (great americano)

• 31st Oct 2014

Nice place the lounge is super comfy, a bit far away from most stuff in town though.

The shower and shower head was filled with black mold. There was so much mold in the shower it caused the whole room to have a moldy and mildew smell. The drain in the shower also didn't drain properly, causing water to full at the bottom of the shower.

Great place for young tourists or foreigners! I booked a single bedroom just for one night but I was pretty satisfied and the staff was very nice, too.

• 18th Oct 2014

shower booth could get much cleaner! it was dirty a lot :( but other than this! it was good! thank you

• 18th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Good hostel but wifi only works in the lobby which has limited seating. Also the location isn't the best as it takes half an hour and 2 metro lines to get to the bund.

It is still nice place, but 2 years ago it was cheaper, breakfast was included and most of all it was much more clean, now is absolutely not.

Nice location near subway station. Amazing staff. Fantastic international atmosphere.

• 13th Oct 2014
  • Latvia

2nd time staying here. The common area/bar is great, one of the best I've stayed in. It's great for meeting people, cosy during the day and often lively at night depending on the crowd. Stayed in the 4 bed dorm again and it is comfortable and cleaned regularly. Since I was here last year prices in the bar have gone up and it is now actually very expensive to drink in there. A bottle of Tsingtao for 20rmb is ridiculous.Lack of 'Happy Hour' or other offers here is a big negative too.

Everyone was really nice. We had a 2 person room and everything was clean and comfortable. It was overall a really great stay but we did not try the cafe they have.

• 6th Oct 2014

Great location, clean (for china) and atmosphere in bar area is great for socialising! But wifi is terrible and the whole place is designed to make you spend loads of money (no wifi in rooms, "conveniently" so you have to go cafe/bar) and buy something! So basically they don't care if you have a good time or not. All they want is £££££

Everything was great. The laundry facilities was a bit overpriced, but at least it included washing powder. Drying the clothes outside made me a bit nervous, but nothing was lost, and the clothes got clean!

Didn't spend a ton of time there because I was out and about in the city, but one of the great things about this hostel is its location. You can hop on the subway a block away (Caoyang Station), and it is very convenient to get all around the city from there. The staff was helpful and friendly. Their English is not bad, but I speak Mandarin so that wasn't a major concern of mine. The room was spacious and clean, and every night when I returned to my room I had fresh towels. No complaints here!

• 4th Oct 2014

Good value for the money and location. Metro is just around the corner and there is even a Carfour nearby. Common area with bar as well as pool table and fuss ball. Although, there is no WiFi in the rooms. At the time i stayed the bathroom on my floor wasn't cleaned for three days. Hope that was an exception! Beside that it was a good stay.

We stayed here for ten days, and we really enjoyed it. The staff is super friendly and helpful, the prices are good and the atmosphere is really nice.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Only two staff members seemed happy to help. One member of staff even walked away from me when I asked a question. I had two dishes from the restaurant. Both tasted terrible and were overpriced. The rooms were not cleaned thoroughly. And the location is bad. I would not recommend staying here.

We got upgraded for some reason unbeknownst to us. Heaps of folks from all over, spacious common area (cafe), and all the facilities and help you need. Staff was very cool too. Seems to be THE hostel in Shanghai!

I wish to get wifi in room too, not only lobby

Over all a good hostel with nice beds. Didn't like that people could smoke in the bar/restaurant. And staff were helpful with booking tours etc.. A big hostel with good bar, could be bit better used to create more of a atmosphere.

This hostel is more like an hotel. Wifi doesn't work on the rooms and there is no kitchen. We stayed in a room with a terrible smell but we asked to change and they gave us another room. We think that we had bedbugs but we only realized that after check-out so we didn't tell them; probably they would have changed our room again. It is close to the subway.