City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

I would have liked stronger locks on the lockers. However I felt safe in our room. Also, the place was very clean and well kept. The people we met there were mostly 20-30 years old. There was also a bar attached to the hostel which was nice. The only major setback for me was that the wifi was only accessible in the main lobby. Our room on the 4th floor did not have access to it.

• 28th Jun 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

Some of the wooden lockers provided in the dorms had broken hinges and doors, wifi didn't work in rooms, no communal kitchen, beautiful chill area and decent food. Perfect location! Could walk to the bund, french concession, yuyuan gardens, peoples square, and very near subway station. Tricky to find!

Location is good, right near Caoyang Lu metro station, but the atmosphere is not that friendly. Also the bar and restaurant are expensive, even when compared to Shanghai.

City Central is a great stay. They have both self-service washers and dryers, which is somewhat hard to find in my search of hostels. Wifi is poor in the lobby but it forces you to hang out with other guests at the bar area! There is an odor in the bathrooms, I would recommend to the hostel to put air fresheners in the halls and individual rooms. Overall pretty good stay, very close to hongqiao and worth the money.

Beds were very confi and rooms are clean.

The room was bit damp. I think the clothes I was trying to dry only got wetter during the night. But asides that a very nice hostel and good value for the money.

This is a relatively big hostel, location is good, but the staff is not very helpful and somehow kinda rude.

Thanks for your staying with us, see you next time.

The bathrooms are not cleaned up frecuently, there are bad odors and even I saw a cockroach around. Bedrooms are more less cleaned, but there is neccesary they have deodoraizer boxes. The common areas are ok and the rest of the Hostel appareance is acceptable.

The staff is very nice, the atmosphere is nice, have a bar in the hostel is just great, and the breakfasts are very good but I was in a room of 6 people, there was not enough lockers for everyone, so I had to leave my stuff in the room like that, I was not calm when I left the day. The true black dot is the cleanliness of the bathrooms and toilets: urine smell, no soap to wash hands, nothing to wipe, really dirty shower with a drainage problem.

• 20th Jun 2014

Nice clean rooms with air conditioning wish they had better lockers. But really nice the bar wasn't bad either

• 20th Jun 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

This is an amazing hostel, the bar area is great and the bedding was clean.

HI nihao, we are so happy to hear that you have a nice stay in our hostel, as a biggest and one of the popular hostel in Shanghai, More and more customers would like to choose our hostel to stay, Definitely we will do everything better and better, thanks again! Best wishes. Amelia

Staff were okay, just not particularly chatty/helpful. The location is okay, it's reasonably central but expect to take two subways to get into the centre of the city or to the bund etc. The rooms were okay but beds were not particularly comfy. There was nothing wrong with our stay it just wasn't particularly great or anything. If I was in Shanghai again I'd probably try somewhere else.

I had to cancel last minute but the staff was great and actually helped me cancel without charging me.

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, see you next time! Amelia

First I did not recognize it was not a YOUTH HOSTEL with the logo until I went to there. Much higher than average price in Shanghai Hostels like Blue Mountain where I usually stay, and even I booked it 75 RMB for mix room online. When I went to there, it was 90 RMB rack rate, and the reception said becasue I booked online cheap, so I can not get 5 RMB membership discount. This is the first time I met. The atmosphere in there is like a hotel but not a hotel. I mean, not good in common room.

Thanks for staying with us, see you next time!

Hostel was pretty good for its value, though I thought its facilities could have been cleaner, and I wasn't so sure about the cleanliness of the sheets. I also think that it would be nice to have a space to eat food that one brings in, but outside food isn't allowed in the bar area (which is actually quite a nice and comfortable space) and we were asked to leave. The wifi also needs a boost since it essentially doesn't work in the evenings when many people are trying to access.

• 13th Jun 2014

Its a nice hostel, a bit to far away from the bund but it is close to the subway. There is a nice bar in the hostel with good atmosphere. The beds are nice and clean and the staff speaks good english

I had a good stay for three nights. One thing I was not satisfied was that the upper bed was super-hard. I am personally OK with a hard bed but still had some problems sleeping.

• 12th Jun 2014
  • Japan

Really Nice stuff. Everyone is speaking fluently english. The directions to the Hostel could be better on their homepage. Great location. In short time easy to access all the important places. Would recommend 100% this hostel and would even use it again. Thanks for the great time.

During our trip in China we stayed in 5 different hostels and although this is a good hostel, it was probably the worst of the 5. The staff are all right, not unfriendly but not very friendly either. No wifi on the rooms was annoying since the wifi in the lobby is slow. Breakfast was quite nice but when we tried the pasta and hamburgers it was awful. What bothered me most was that when my friend who stayed in a dorm booked a single room in the middle of the night she was met with great suspicion

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your comments,see you next time!

It would be really convinient if there is wi-fi in the private room. Hope the staff can be more friendly to Chinese guests!

• 6th Jun 2014