City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

It's a youth hostel, so you can't expect too much. With that said, this place was great. The staff are excellent and accommodated me and a group of 10 students at the last minute. The rooms and facility were clean. The location is just so-so, but it's near a subway stop, so you can get anywhere. Decent little lounge downstairs with food, drinks, and coffee if you're feeling jetlagged or just lazy. On the whole, a good spot if you need a cheap room in Shanghai.

• 6th Jun 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

Very good hostel, easy to find from subway. Good comfortable room and a nice big bar. Friendly staff, especially when I was leaving. But didn't tell me anything about Shanghai or what to do when I arrived. Actually didn't tell me anything about the hostel either. It would be a good idea to have a list of best things to do and places to go in Shanghai. I didn't ask, but I shouldn't really have to. Overall though it was very good and I would stay there again.

I booked for 2 nights but only stayed for 1 night. I stayed in the dorm and feels the hostel quite creepy, Dark corridor and seems like no life there. Wifi also only can accessible from the lobby. If you're only looking a cheap place only to crash and you don't need internet connection all the time then it won't be a problem for you to stay here

Slowed wifi ever , onfriendly staff and fare away from the bund. Hostel was clean

This was my 2nd time at this hostel. Dirt cheap, unassuming staff and a relaxed atmosphere made for a very pleasant stay. Not really near the more touristy areas of Shanghai, but served our purposes well and is across the road from a metro station, which is extremely convenient and easy to use. Very clean place, with the only negative being a slightly unpleasant odour in one of the common toilets.

Nihao,thanks for your staying and highly comment to our hostel,as you know, we are always ready to serve all the custemers buth from home and abroad.Hope you really enjoyed a nice day in shanghai with us.We will also try our best to do better in order to reach your satisfaction. Sincere appreciation to you and we wish for your next staying here. Best regards.

If you miss the right subway exit the hostel is quite difficult to find. A map attached to the welcome email would definitely help. Hostel is nice and clean.

I loved my stay at this hostel. It's not close to the main attractions but the metro is very close by. The staff was very helpful especially the guy manning the travel desk. The hostel also has a nice lounge where it is very easy to meet other travelers.

Lovely hostel. Pretty, clean, and spacious. Friendly and helpful staff. A hidden and underrated gem for sure. Moved here from staying at a hostel more centrally located near the Bund and couldn't be happier that I did.

• 28th May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your best comments! City Central Hostel is a big, friendly, honest, popular hostel in Shanghai, all people who choose our hostel will find this is nice place to stay. Wish you have a nice stay in Shanghai, China. Amelia

One thing needs to be highlighted here is that Internet was totally slow and almost impassible to function well, otherwise everything was just good

Disappointing experience. Staff were brusque and generally unhelpful. Bathroom floors dirty and generally unclean (eg hairs in soap). Good location for tube. Lots of long term residents but pretty dull atmosphere - not very friendly/chatty. No locks on room lockers, beds very hard, no wifi in room. Cheap - and you get what you pay for. Wouldn't bother staying again.

This hostel is locatel reasonably close to the city centre, near a metro station. It's very clean and the staff speaks rather good English. Unfortunately the internet connection worked really slowly, it was impossible to iron clothes and there was no place for guests to prepare their own food. The bar/restaurant offered very good meals but it made stay more expensive.

HI nihao, thanks for your good comments and share your experience with all people who will travel in China, we will try to improve and make all customer's stay more comfortable and enjoyable,thanks. Wish you have a nice stay and see you next time.

While we were staying there, some crazy Chinese guest was complaining to the owner that the people in her shareroom did not say hi to her and made her feel un-safe....which was absolutely ridiculous. I thought the owner dealt with it quite well. He was a good guy and have been helpful and friendly to us.

Thanks for your comments. Wish you have a nice time in Shanghai, China and looking forward to see you next time! Amelia

I only stayed at this hostel for one night, but I felt that it was awesome. The atmosphere was really good, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the other guests at the bar were exceptionally friendly as well. I felt that it was a great place to meet new friends, and exchange stories. I could go to the bar and have fun. But if I wanted to sleep, the noise from downstairs did not reach my room! Great!

HI nihao, we are so happy to hear that you have a nice stay in our hostel, as a biggest and one of the popular hostel in Shanghai, More and more customers would like to choose our hostel to stay, Definitely we will do everything better and better, thanks again! Best wishes. Amelia

It was difficult to sleep because of people talking in the corridors late at night. Apart from one staff member the others were often difficult to talk to and get help from. You always felt like you were a burden on them when you asked a question.

I had been in this hostel for four times and had great time! However for the last time, because of the miscalculation i made, i could not catch my flight if I go to airport in the morning, so i had to be there at night. They explained me how to reach to the airport, and why i can't catch my flight and at the end they returned my money back! Definitely great staff, nice atmosphere, and for me the only option in Shanghai to stay! Thanks guys!

Good to backpack traveller. Near subway station but close to railway a little noisy at night.

I had booked a 6 person dorm. When I got there, they told me that it wasn't available so they put me in a 4 person dorm (luckily they charged me the same price). The staff tried to be helpful but their English wasn't too good. There was one maintenance man who worked there who was adorable and always talked to me when I was sitting by myself. He was like an awesome grandpa. It was close to the subway which was helpful but far away from where everything was. Pretty average place.

HI nihao, thanks for your comments! Firstly, we upgraded you a 4 bed dorm cause there is some promotion that day when you checked in, that is why you do not need pay extra, there is some trainee here, I think that is way make you a little confused. Sorry for the inconvenience and make you misunderstanding. See you next time!

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and this was as good as any.

• 8th May 2014

HI nihao, thanks for your good comments, see you next time. Regards Amelia from the hostel

The security is not good enough. People can easily get into the hostel without staffs' notice. There can be a television provided somewhere for people who want to watch the local tv shows. Also, wifi signal can only be preceived in the lobby which should be improved that people in their rooms can also use the wifi.

Great hostel within easy reach of most places you want to go in shanghai all for a very reasonable price!

• 5th May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good comments, wish you have a nice stay in Shanghai, and see you next time! Amelia