City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

Hostel was pretty good for its value, though I thought its facilities could have been cleaner, and I wasn't so sure about the cleanliness of the sheets. I also think that it would be nice to have a space to eat food that one brings in, but outside food isn't allowed in the bar area (which is actually quite a nice and comfortable space) and we were asked to leave. The wifi also needs a boost since it essentially doesn't work in the evenings when many people are trying to access.

• 13th Jun 2014

Its a nice hostel, a bit to far away from the bund but it is close to the subway. There is a nice bar in the hostel with good atmosphere. The beds are nice and clean and the staff speaks good english

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

I had a good stay for three nights. One thing I was not satisfied was that the upper bed was super-hard. I am personally OK with a hard bed but still had some problems sleeping.

• 12th Jun 2014
  • Japan

Really Nice stuff. Everyone is speaking fluently english. The directions to the Hostel could be better on their homepage. Great location. In short time easy to access all the important places. Would recommend 100% this hostel and would even use it again. Thanks for the great time.

During our trip in China we stayed in 5 different hostels and although this is a good hostel, it was probably the worst of the 5. The staff are all right, not unfriendly but not very friendly either. No wifi on the rooms was annoying since the wifi in the lobby is slow. Breakfast was quite nice but when we tried the pasta and hamburgers it was awful. What bothered me most was that when my friend who stayed in a dorm booked a single room in the middle of the night she was met with great suspicion

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your comments,see you next time!

It would be really convinient if there is wi-fi in the private room. Hope the staff can be more friendly to Chinese guests!

• 6th Jun 2014
  • China

It's a youth hostel, so you can't expect too much. With that said, this place was great. The staff are excellent and accommodated me and a group of 10 students at the last minute. The rooms and facility were clean. The location is just so-so, but it's near a subway stop, so you can get anywhere. Decent little lounge downstairs with food, drinks, and coffee if you're feeling jetlagged or just lazy. On the whole, a good spot if you need a cheap room in Shanghai.

• 6th Jun 2014

Very good hostel, easy to find from subway. Good comfortable room and a nice big bar. Friendly staff, especially when I was leaving. But didn't tell me anything about Shanghai or what to do when I arrived. Actually didn't tell me anything about the hostel either. It would be a good idea to have a list of best things to do and places to go in Shanghai. I didn't ask, but I shouldn't really have to. Overall though it was very good and I would stay there again.

I booked for 2 nights but only stayed for 1 night. I stayed in the dorm and feels the hostel quite creepy, Dark corridor and seems like no life there. Wifi also only can accessible from the lobby. If you're only looking a cheap place only to crash and you don't need internet connection all the time then it won't be a problem for you to stay here

Slowed wifi ever , onfriendly staff and fare away from the bund. Hostel was clean

This was my 2nd time at this hostel. Dirt cheap, unassuming staff and a relaxed atmosphere made for a very pleasant stay. Not really near the more touristy areas of Shanghai, but served our purposes well and is across the road from a metro station, which is extremely convenient and easy to use. Very clean place, with the only negative being a slightly unpleasant odour in one of the common toilets.

Nihao,thanks for your staying and highly comment to our hostel,as you know, we are always ready to serve all the custemers buth from home and abroad.Hope you really enjoyed a nice day in shanghai with us.We will also try our best to do better in order to reach your satisfaction. Sincere appreciation to you and we wish for your next staying here. Best regards.

Good location, close to metro. The dorm is spacious and have plenty of common bathroom and toilet, never have to wait in queue. The common room is pleasant, although the wi-fi is a bit suck and super slow. But still, is it a good value for the money.

If you miss the right subway exit the hostel is quite difficult to find. A map attached to the welcome email would definitely help. Hostel is nice and clean.

I loved my stay at this hostel. It's not close to the main attractions but the metro is very close by. The staff was very helpful especially the guy manning the travel desk. The hostel also has a nice lounge where it is very easy to meet other travelers.

Lovely hostel. Pretty, clean, and spacious. Friendly and helpful staff. A hidden and underrated gem for sure. Moved here from staying at a hostel more centrally located near the Bund and couldn't be happier that I did.

• 28th May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your best comments! City Central Hostel is a big, friendly, honest, popular hostel in Shanghai, all people who choose our hostel will find this is nice place to stay. Wish you have a nice stay in Shanghai, China. Amelia

One thing needs to be highlighted here is that Internet was totally slow and almost impassible to function well, otherwise everything was just good

Disappointing experience. Staff were brusque and generally unhelpful. Bathroom floors dirty and generally unclean (eg hairs in soap). Good location for tube. Lots of long term residents but pretty dull atmosphere - not very friendly/chatty. No locks on room lockers, beds very hard, no wifi in room. Cheap - and you get what you pay for. Wouldn't bother staying again.

This hostel is locatel reasonably close to the city centre, near a metro station. It's very clean and the staff speaks rather good English. Unfortunately the internet connection worked really slowly, it was impossible to iron clothes and there was no place for guests to prepare their own food. The bar/restaurant offered very good meals but it made stay more expensive.

HI nihao, thanks for your good comments and share your experience with all people who will travel in China, we will try to improve and make all customer's stay more comfortable and enjoyable,thanks. Wish you have a nice stay and see you next time.

While we were staying there, some crazy Chinese guest was complaining to the owner that the people in her shareroom did not say hi to her and made her feel un-safe....which was absolutely ridiculous. I thought the owner dealt with it quite well. He was a good guy and have been helpful and friendly to us.

Thanks for your comments. Wish you have a nice time in Shanghai, China and looking forward to see you next time! Amelia

I only stayed at this hostel for one night, but I felt that it was awesome. The atmosphere was really good, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the other guests at the bar were exceptionally friendly as well. I felt that it was a great place to meet new friends, and exchange stories. I could go to the bar and have fun. But if I wanted to sleep, the noise from downstairs did not reach my room! Great!

HI nihao, we are so happy to hear that you have a nice stay in our hostel, as a biggest and one of the popular hostel in Shanghai, More and more customers would like to choose our hostel to stay, Definitely we will do everything better and better, thanks again! Best wishes. Amelia