City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

I loved my stay at this hostel. It's not close to the main attractions but the metro is very close by. The staff was very helpful especially the guy manning the travel desk. The hostel also has a nice lounge where it is very easy to meet other travelers.

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

Lovely hostel. Pretty, clean, and spacious. Friendly and helpful staff. A hidden and underrated gem for sure. Moved here from staying at a hostel more centrally located near the Bund and couldn't be happier that I did.

• 28th May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your best comments! City Central Hostel is a big, friendly, honest, popular hostel in Shanghai, all people who choose our hostel will find this is nice place to stay. Wish you have a nice stay in Shanghai, China. Amelia

One thing needs to be highlighted here is that Internet was totally slow and almost impassible to function well, otherwise everything was just good

Disappointing experience. Staff were brusque and generally unhelpful. Bathroom floors dirty and generally unclean (eg hairs in soap). Good location for tube. Lots of long term residents but pretty dull atmosphere - not very friendly/chatty. No locks on room lockers, beds very hard, no wifi in room. Cheap - and you get what you pay for. Wouldn't bother staying again.

This hostel is locatel reasonably close to the city centre, near a metro station. It's very clean and the staff speaks rather good English. Unfortunately the internet connection worked really slowly, it was impossible to iron clothes and there was no place for guests to prepare their own food. The bar/restaurant offered very good meals but it made stay more expensive.

HI nihao, thanks for your good comments and share your experience with all people who will travel in China, we will try to improve and make all customer's stay more comfortable and enjoyable,thanks. Wish you have a nice stay and see you next time.

While we were staying there, some crazy Chinese guest was complaining to the owner that the people in her shareroom did not say hi to her and made her feel un-safe....which was absolutely ridiculous. I thought the owner dealt with it quite well. He was a good guy and have been helpful and friendly to us.

Thanks for your comments. Wish you have a nice time in Shanghai, China and looking forward to see you next time! Amelia

I only stayed at this hostel for one night, but I felt that it was awesome. The atmosphere was really good, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the other guests at the bar were exceptionally friendly as well. I felt that it was a great place to meet new friends, and exchange stories. I could go to the bar and have fun. But if I wanted to sleep, the noise from downstairs did not reach my room! Great!

HI nihao, we are so happy to hear that you have a nice stay in our hostel, as a biggest and one of the popular hostel in Shanghai, More and more customers would like to choose our hostel to stay, Definitely we will do everything better and better, thanks again! Best wishes. Amelia

It was difficult to sleep because of people talking in the corridors late at night. Apart from one staff member the others were often difficult to talk to and get help from. You always felt like you were a burden on them when you asked a question.

I had been in this hostel for four times and had great time! However for the last time, because of the miscalculation i made, i could not catch my flight if I go to airport in the morning, so i had to be there at night. They explained me how to reach to the airport, and why i can't catch my flight and at the end they returned my money back! Definitely great staff, nice atmosphere, and for me the only option in Shanghai to stay! Thanks guys!

Good to backpack traveller. Near subway station but close to railway a little noisy at night.

I had booked a 6 person dorm. When I got there, they told me that it wasn't available so they put me in a 4 person dorm (luckily they charged me the same price). The staff tried to be helpful but their English wasn't too good. There was one maintenance man who worked there who was adorable and always talked to me when I was sitting by myself. He was like an awesome grandpa. It was close to the subway which was helpful but far away from where everything was. Pretty average place.

HI nihao, thanks for your comments! Firstly, we upgraded you a 4 bed dorm cause there is some promotion that day when you checked in, that is why you do not need pay extra, there is some trainee here, I think that is way make you a little confused. Sorry for the inconvenience and make you misunderstanding. See you next time!

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and this was as good as any.

• 8th May 2014

HI nihao, thanks for your good comments, see you next time. Regards Amelia from the hostel

The security is not good enough. People can easily get into the hostel without staffs' notice. There can be a television provided somewhere for people who want to watch the local tv shows. Also, wifi signal can only be preceived in the lobby which should be improved that people in their rooms can also use the wifi.

Great hostel within easy reach of most places you want to go in shanghai all for a very reasonable price!

• 5th May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good comments, wish you have a nice stay in Shanghai, and see you next time! Amelia

Great value hostel. We stayed in a twin room for five nights and it was clean, friendly and excellent value. Although the location may seem far away, it's only afew minutes away from the closest metro which you can navigate blind it's that easy!

• 4th May 2014

This is a great, fun hostel in a good location in Shanghai. We live in a small town in China and definitely will be coming back on our next trip to Shanghai.

• 2nd May 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good comments! We will be better and better, see you next time! Regards Amelia from the hostel

The staff at the reception was very helpful and friendly. But the staff that worked in the kitchen and at the bar was too busy and unorganized. We waited 1 hour for our breakfast and 30 min for a coffee!

• 30th Apr 2014

Thanks for your good comments! You know, we always try to make everyone's stay more comfortable, I know you love our hostel very much. Due to the holiday time, there is many people order the food in the restaurant so that make your food slower than usual, hope your understanding and see you next time! Amelia from the hostel

the stuff were super friendly and helpful. they browsed even in the net when i had a special request. people and atmosphere were great. room was quiet and had really wide beds. facilities were clean and modern. nonetheless the hostel is to far away from the city center and had a really high rate during the labour day holidays. 100 RMB per night more than usual - which is my only negative point.

• 30th Apr 2014

we are really glad you are satisfied with the staying in our hostel,and we will try to make all the guests like you be willing to come to spend a special time with us in Shanghai, we also expect to see you again. Really thanks for your comment.

Great for meeting people and great communal spaces. The wi-fi is terrible though and only works in the lobby area, and then the signal is so weak that even then it only works sometimes.

The guy at hotel ripped me off for taxi, charged me 250rmb when price quoted on flyer was 200 ... But despite that only took 35mins , so would have been 120 on meter

• 27th Apr 2014