City Central International Hostel Reviews

No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District, Shanghai, China

Everything was ok but there is an obvious flaw...why is everyone always at the first floor? There is no wifi anywhere else so everyone is stuck there fighting for places to sit down where there is wifi.

• Singapore

Incredibly rude staff, middle of nowhere, overpriced crap food! Stay at mingtown Nanjing road, cheaper and better

The place is good except AC was not working in my room so it was really hot.

• Tanzania

I booked a six bed room and got an upgrade to a 4 bed room, due to availability. Asking the people in the hostel, many of them did so. They only have one 6 bed room. The beds were bigger than average in china. The room was clean and then bathroom was ok, you should bring flip-flops for showering though. Met nice people to check the sights and going for partying. I would recommend this place!

• 5th Jul 2014

the staff knocked the door on 7:00 am to get the passport info, which they missed the day before. and did not even say sorry. that is rude.

Great place to chill out, wash cloths, and grab some food.... overall excellent experience. ...

HI nihao, we are so happy to hear that you have a nice stay in our hostel, as a biggest and one of the popular hostel in Shanghai, More and more customers would like to choose our hostel to stay, Definitely we will do everything better and better, thanks again! Best wishes. Amelia

Great place to stay in Shanghai, although not in the centre of the city itself it was really close to the subway so everything was in easy reach (and the subway is really cheap, much better than getting taxis). Fantastic atmosphere and the bar cocktails were amazing, definitely would recommend before a night out. Beware of little kitten that has a habit of trying to eat you, but other than that devil I will definitely be back! Also dorms were the best I stayed in in China.

Lovley hostel! Very close to a shanghai metro stop but a bit harder to get taxis late at night back to hostel from city centre as it is a bit far out. Couldn't fault the hostel had a fantastic stay :-)

• 28th Jun 2014

I would have liked stronger locks on the lockers. However I felt safe in our room. Also, the place was very clean and well kept. The people we met there were mostly 20-30 years old. There was also a bar attached to the hostel which was nice. The only major setback for me was that the wifi was only accessible in the main lobby. Our room on the 4th floor did not have access to it.

• 28th Jun 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

Some of the wooden lockers provided in the dorms had broken hinges and doors, wifi didn't work in rooms, no communal kitchen, beautiful chill area and decent food. Perfect location! Could walk to the bund, french concession, yuyuan gardens, peoples square, and very near subway station. Tricky to find!

Location is good, right near Caoyang Lu metro station, but the atmosphere is not that friendly. Also the bar and restaurant are expensive, even when compared to Shanghai.

City Central is a great stay. They have both self-service washers and dryers, which is somewhat hard to find in my search of hostels. Wifi is poor in the lobby but it forces you to hang out with other guests at the bar area! There is an odor in the bathrooms, I would recommend to the hostel to put air fresheners in the halls and individual rooms. Overall pretty good stay, very close to hongqiao and worth the money.

Beds were very confi and rooms are clean.

The room was bit damp. I think the clothes I was trying to dry only got wetter during the night. But asides that a very nice hostel and good value for the money.

This is a relatively big hostel, location is good, but the staff is not very helpful and somehow kinda rude.

Thanks for your staying with us, see you next time.

The bathrooms are not cleaned up frecuently, there are bad odors and even I saw a cockroach around. Bedrooms are more less cleaned, but there is neccesary they have deodoraizer boxes. The common areas are ok and the rest of the Hostel appareance is acceptable.

The staff is very nice, the atmosphere is nice, have a bar in the hostel is just great, and the breakfasts are very good but I was in a room of 6 people, there was not enough lockers for everyone, so I had to leave my stuff in the room like that, I was not calm when I left the day. The true black dot is the cleanliness of the bathrooms and toilets: urine smell, no soap to wash hands, nothing to wipe, really dirty shower with a drainage problem.

• 20th Jun 2014

Nice clean rooms with air conditioning wish they had better lockers. But really nice the bar wasn't bad either

• 20th Jun 2014

HI nihao, Thanks for your good review, wish you have a nice time in Shanghai and see you next time! Amelia

This is an amazing hostel, the bar area is great and the bedding was clean.

Staff were okay, just not particularly chatty/helpful. The location is okay, it's reasonably central but expect to take two subways to get into the centre of the city or to the bund etc. The rooms were okay but beds were not particularly comfy. There was nothing wrong with our stay it just wasn't particularly great or anything. If I was in Shanghai again I'd probably try somewhere else.