May De Ville Backpackers Hostel Reviews

1 Hai Tuong Lane, 24 Ta Hien str,Hoan Kien District, Hanoi, Vietnam

This is now like an hotel than a hostel, very quiet and clean but hard to meet people. PRICES ON HOSTELWORLD DIFFER FROM ON-LOCATION. It was still affordable, just frustrating.

Really good stay here. The staff were excellent throughout. They're all very friendly and organised transfers, trips and even our onward travel. We stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm which was clean as was the bathroom. Really good VFM.

Location is quite good. Close to (right in the center of) the old quarter and you can walk to most museums. Many bats and street restaurants nearby. Staff was ok in their English. But interpretations is needed. Room was very nice, the a/c was not to cold and the bed was very good. They had big lockers. The bathroom was ok, no locks, but not really needed. A bit tight space but nothing really to complain about. Breakfast was ok. Their toys might be more expensive than others.

Horribly rude staff. To busy playing on there smart phones or computers to give a damn about being helpful. Don't book tours or train tickets with them as the mark up is pretty substantial. Go to the train station and buy your ticket there and save yourself 15-20 bucks. Bed sheets are stained from God knows what and there is mold in the bathrooms. The location is the only thing this place has going for it.

Not a Backpackers, it's a hotel. Not good for meeting people.

The best thing about this hostel is its location. It's right in the middle of the Old Quarter, which is convenient if you're looking to shop at markets, find both touristy and street food, and go to bars. Its downside is that it doesn't really have a common area where backpackers can gather, even though it advertises a game room. No one was in there when we stayed. The dorm rooms are really awkwardly shaped--long

The staff was way too pushy on what I should do in Hanoi. They basically were about to book all these trips for me without even asking if that was what I wanted to do. I can't stand when staff are trying to sell trips left and right without even asking the customer what they want.

Great hotel in small Hanoi Ally. Very impressive for dorm room hostel. Breakfast included and good wifi. Close to everything in old quarter.

Great photos, just terrible reality. Worth staying for the location, but the place is a dump. The first room I was given had some weird parasite that bit my up. I think moved to another room, but even then I wasn't sure if they cleaned it too often. I stayed there a total of 4 nights, which was enough by the end. Also, I disliked the breakfast service: they lay all the food out at 6:30am, they don't stop people packing takeaway bags, so if you come by 8:30 there's nothing left.

• 4th Sep 2014

Dear Customer. Thanks for your commet. We would like clear the comment as below : Fisst of all, you just book superior room without windown. However, we have already free upgrage you to Deluxe room with niceer room . Your room number is 706 is really nice room for sure.Second , you alway wake up late like 9.30AM - 9.45 AM instead 8.30AM as comment you post. We server breakfast only until 9.45 AM. That reason why the food is almost finish when you come to have breakfast.

Nice hostel, clean, superb location, and really good breakfast. I missed a bit social activity, theres not really a room to meet people, nor any pubcrawls. Take care when booking thru their travel agent in the lobby, for example i payed 100USD for a 2 day Halong aby trip, whereas on the same boat there were ppl who payed 60 USD thru another travel agency.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Czech Republic

Most hotel-like hostel I've ever stayed in, nice and clean, free breakfast is great and really helpful travel service to help book extra trips or plan the rest of your journey. Brilliant location in the middle of the old town.

great staff, location, and really nice ensuite bathroom. loved it

• 21st Aug 2014

we ended up getting upgraded to another May De Ville around the corner from the backpackers which was 4 star! The staff were amazing and went above and beyond for everything we asked. would highly recommend the May De Ville on Gia Ngu street in the old quater !

Really nice rooms and really good for value we booked our halong boat trip with them and it was great :)

A decent hostel with a great location. Rooms very smart and clean. Breakfast was decent enough. Didn't have time to check out the games room but it certainly sounded popular.

I enjoyed my stay with Maydeville. I love that the hotel is right in the middle of the Hanoi action. I was pleasantly surprised that I got so much value for my money. To be honest, it was my first time to stay in a hostel for a trip abroad, I didn't expect that the facilities would be comparable to a good hotel. The room was clean and adequately furnished. The toilet was spotless and the hostel staff were friendly and efficient. Will definitely recommend it to friends traveling to Vietnam.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Clean rooms although layout meant limited space. Staff tried to make you book on their tours and were pushy but when my friend left her phone they were really helpful and kept it safe for her. Breakfast was nice. We didn't use their movie room or pool table. Location was great in center of old quarter. Overall nice hostel with hotel feel.

Good location, very clean, buffet breakfast included. Only thing, dormitory very small, room looks like a corridor... But still a nice place to stay.

Super nice place! Our bed was super comfy and the room was clean. Breakfast was above standard, and the staff were all friendly. We booked a tour and our night bus with them and were disappointed with what we ended up with; a common theme in SE asia, and not their fault directly.

Mostly very good, poor exchange rate on my Aussie $.. And a very damp room..Mold and smelly..