Mingtown Etour International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.55, Jiangyin Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

Great little restaurant where you can order food/a drink or just relax and chat with fellow travelers. Nice, hot showers which was much appreciated in the cold winter. Not too far of a walk to the main attractions or the closest subway station.

the hair dryer is not good enough, can not dry hair...

Me and my friend REALLY ENJOYED staying in this hostel. The atmosphere is great and relaxing. The rooms are spacious and clean. We met nice people and had a great time. The location also is very good. I would recommend it to everyone. =)

• 22nd Nov 2014

Great location and great hostel. Pros: Location is great. Right in heart of people's square. Safe area. Easy walking distance to shops, food, and metro. Staff was very helpful and professional.. All spoke English very well. Room was clean. For the price it can't be beat. Common area had friendly vibe and great bar/food service. Cons: Spotty wifi in room. But wifi strong in common area. Spring mattress could have been better. No private bthroom option stinks. Highly recommend.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Very good location for downtown Shanghai. Quite expensive food and drinks given the proximity to many other eateries. Only real negative that sticks out for me is having to make and strip my own bed, but that said it is a budget hostel so what should I expect really..

my room was for 8 persons but the staff add 1 another persons into those small room, so it becoming 9 persons in the small room!! the internet doesn't reached my room so if I want to use it, I have to move out from my room or go into the lobby. it sucks

Good - Location and Laundry facilities! Cafe / Bar was also great and the 6RMB Tsingtao at reception was a good bargain! Poor - Communal bathrooms and toilets were not clean enough and often the toilet paper bins were full of dirty, smelly tissues (maybe consider using sealed or covered bins in future). There seemed to be very few showers compared with the number of guests. The seal around our door was not good too so there was often a lot of noise coming in from the hallways.

extremely good hostel. good food, good service, extremely good location. the rooms and facilities are very good. there is even a drier for the cloths after washing them, i would recomend the hostel to add some more place for hanging cloths after washing because the space available is very small thus it tend to be packed with cloths that is difficult to dry at air.

Stayed here for four days and really enjoyed my time. The place is central and has great food. The only downside to this place is that it has no atmosphere...if your looking to meet loads of fun people I'm not sure if this is the place.

I found the staff really nice. They helped us out on a couple occasions when planning where to go and what to see.

2nd time I have stayed here. Some staff really helpful, some not so much, but over all very satisfied. Location fantastic, small quiet side street in very central area lots if shops and restaurants. Will stay again next year.

• 25th Sep 2014

The staff (especially reception desk) seemed a lot happier last year when I stayed. They seemed quite grumpy this year. You can't fault the location for Shanghai, very close to the peoples park. The rooms are a bit small - it's quite hard to get around the bed, and there's not much room for your clothes, but for short stays this is fine.

• 25th Sep 2014

This place was awful. Besides the location there's nothing positive to report. I haven't felt so unwelcome in a hostel before and I wasn't the only guest complaining about it. The staff let's you wait, don't give any information and everything is too much to ask. I ended up avoiding the reception all together. They have a nice common area, but the bartenders don't even get up. You can say goodbye to your deposit. The rooms are dirty, cramped and damp. Some walls are covered with fungus.

The hostel is a 3 minute walk from the li jiang, 20 minutes from the locally famous BBQ skewers street and is opposite a bar that serves decent western food. The hostel has very good dorms, clean, with bed lights, sockets and lockers. The bathroom was clean, the water pressure good and had a western style toilet. The staff were exceptionally friendly and fun, Angela, Tina and Betty all have high energy and help create a great atmosphere. The hostel has a great common room too.

• 20th Sep 2014

There was only one shower and one bathroom, but they were always free anytime that I needed them.

Me and my friend stayed in a double room. Much nicer than we had expected and the beds were very soft and nice. The atmosphere was very closed off and not city like - which we liked very much. We shared one bathroom and two showers with three other rooms which worked perfectly fine. The bar has a good variety of western styled breakfasts in addition to good coffee and drinks.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Norway

Not as good as I expected! except one girl the staff was not too helpful and seemed annoyed or shy..rooms were too small,very dark, ac too cold,mattresses were really bad.. on the other side location is perfect, and bar area very nice but little expensive. its ok to stay there but I've seen much better hostels!

Hostel has an amazing location but the place was very damp and smelt damp. Bedroom very mouldy. Unfortunately the staff were extremely unfriendly and rude. Didn't want to help with directions or things like how to use the laundry facilities. The bar/communal area was quite nice apart from the smell when it rained and food was good.

• 11th Sep 2014

Location and price is perfect, but cleanliness is not much good! As well, stuffs are so so. (Someone is kind, other is so so).

Location is great and easy to find from People's Square station from the directions. Rooms were a little shabby but ok. The bar area is very pretty with the pond filled with fishes and greenery. The very annoying thing though is the wifi. It has a crazy two-step login that didn't work for me most of the time. Please just use a wifi with general password - no individual logins. This is a real downside, especially as I arrived here and needed the internet to plan the rest of my trip.