Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 258 Tianjin Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

For many years still my favourite hostel in Shanghai.

Good place, very central location close to the Bund

I have been here for 2 nights. There is no better hostel than here. Very close to line 2

• 17th Apr 2014
  • South Korea

Excellent location, 1 min walk from metro station and Shanghai's biggest shopping street is just downstairs. 5-10 mins walk to the Bund which is really convenience. Not much interaction inside the hostel but if you love to stay in a lively heart of big city this is perfect. Bathroom and toilet were inside the dorm shared by 6 of us. They clean it every morning so cleanliness is ok too.

Didn't get the room I booked because the room had a bit of flooding due to rain the previous 2 days. However the staff sought to call me up in advance and warn me I couldn't have my room but had to share with 3 other girls and there was no problem.

• 13th Apr 2014

I've stayed in the Mingtown youth hostel in Nanjingroad, Shanghai for 5 days in early Apr 2014. The hostel has a best location to travel Shanghai - We could get to the Nanjingdong-ru subway station on foot within 5 minutes, and the Bund within 10 minutes! And the staffs are very kind and empty our wastebasket and change the towels everyday (For changing the towels, you should put the used towels in water basin before you leave the room.). The room has a card key, and also a door lock.

• 1st Apr 2014
  • South Korea

Great location for metro and local sights. Staff very friendly and helpful and room looked like it had been refurbished the bathroom was very clean and new looking. Would recommend. We are 2 ladies in our 60's and felt very safe.

• 31st Mar 2014

The hostel's location is convienient, but it smell so bad inside the hostel also arround the hostel. And they give us a room which is cheaper than we booked, but still have to pay the same money. The stuff start to work so early and make many nosie, since the Soundproofing is quite bad, so you couldn't have a good sleep when the stuff working or customer passing.

• 28th Mar 2014
  • China

Excellent location! I'll recommend to my friend again. Super near to the famous shopping street- Nanjing Road and subway East Nanjing Road Station. All staff are being helpful and friendly. Just the kitchen facilities are not up to my expectation as compared to some of the hostel I stayed. They provide basic well kitchen amenities. Able to get some nice local foods nearby.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions to our hotel,we will try to improve and welcome your coming again and you can recommend Mingtown to your friends^^

Is in the main shopping district rigt by a train station. It is a very good base to go off and explore. The dorm rooms are medium size, heating in the rooms is ok, but hard to balance between the top and bottom bunks. There is minimal plates knifes etc to use, but there is a good communal room. There is a washer /dryer but it does not dry your clothes at all so if you are here in winter it will take a few days. This hostel is fairly a average. There was construction on during our stay. V load!

The bedroom was great, inside the room was a shower and toilet, air conditioner and heating, bedding sheets and even a table night for each bed with a light for everyone individually. I didn't like the mattress was too hard, maybe it is about the country but it is mainly foreigners who go and should consider softer mattress. The computers at reception are free to use and wifi works fine. Lockers in the room are great and with key so you don't have to bring your own padlock. Small but confortable

• 8th Mar 2014
  • Argentina

All in all, nice place to stay. Pretty close to a Nanjing road and a metro station.

Booked 6 beds female dorm and they assigned 3 males to the dorm throughout my stay. It's ending up I was the minority in the room. Checked with the staff and their answer was 'single-sex dorm could be turned into co-ed dorm at anytime...'. A bit smelly at the hallway due to uncleaned waste bins. Hygiene improvement is needed. 原订女生宿舍,但入住当日竟有3位男生同住一房,完全不能接受,感觉很不安全。

locate very good. i was 2 wices.

Amazing location, staff, rooms and bathrooms. Showers and toilets were between 6 people not a hundred as some hostels are. Private plugs and lamps in each bunk. Bunks didnt squeak.....always a bonus. Amazing showers. Great bar downstairs, washers and dryers available. Bad points-kitchen facility's werent the best for how many people were at the hostel..... But this is china. You eat street food all the time. Our floor in the room needed a good sweep. It was pretty dusty. But amazing hostel

1. Our room was located at the end of the building so the wifi connection is very bad as no connection at all. Maybe the hostel can think of adding some wifi relays. 2. Interesting international guests but the environment does not really promote the interaction between the guests. Seems everyone like the isolation. 3. Staff are very attentive but need to be more careful when communicating with non-chinese speaking guests.

• 21st Feb 2014
  • Malaysia
  • All Male Group, 41+

I arrived late (2am), and even though I emailed the hostel saying I would get in at this time, there was still some fuss when I arrived and they couldn't provide a room key for me (they manually let me in the room). Besides this problem, the dorm was very warm, quiet and comfortable. The shower and toilet facilities were also very nice and clean, and the water in the shower was very hot. In the morning, the staff were very friendly. This was the second time I came here and I will come again!

Very pleasant atmosphere and best locality

I stayed in a double bedded room- 403.Some things have changed over the years that I stayed..Most notable is that face towels are no more available.You need to buy them now.But I think this item is necessary.Secondly bath towels should be wholesome- not having a notable hole in them.This looks CHEAP SERVICE.If you stay 2/3/or more days mopping of the floor should be thorough.Jason does a good job nevertheless.TQ AND HOPE TO BE THERE MID YEAR SUMMER HOLIDAYS. I AM A MALAYSIAN

• 29th Jan 2014
  • Malaysia

Located around the corner from a metro station in one of the busiest areas of Shanghai, both for tourists and locals, which makes for easy access to the rest of the city. The way leisure spaces were organized and divided was a little jarring, but generally they were well-equipped.