Mingtown People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

No.35 Yong Shou Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

Awful for 2 reasons: 1) The entire ceiling in our room was covered in black mould. The first morning we woke up and felt like we had pneumonia. Upon asking to change rooms we were told we had to pay extra. A sponge, bucket, and 1 week to dry out would resolve this problem, but the staff really didn't seem interested in our welfare, or fixing this for future guests. 2) It's above a market so the whole place stinks. If you'd like pictures of the room: t.w.gant@gmail.com

• 9th Nov 2014

Nice location. Very near by People's square and nanjing east/west rd. Also you can reach to waitan in 15-20mins on feet. But room condition isn't very good. There are fungus on the wall and poor soundproof. If you have allergy, you need to be awared.

• 5th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

We stayed there 4 of us. All male backpackers between 25 and 35, and we've got a 4 people room. Quite comfortable. Bathrooms was always big enough so no need for waiting. The staff is attentive but really slow, especially the one in the bar. We had breakfast there twice and we spent more than one hour, Chinese style, let's say... Ah, the bar (and actually the hostel) looks beautiful. There is a market just down the street, and yes, stinks, but it's China :D Close to the center, no complains :)

This is a great secure hostel just a short walk away from the Bund. Large lockers are provided in the rooms. Security card are required to enter the dorm areas and your own room. The restaurant/bar serves great food and the staff were really helpful. Only bad thing was the beds. I don't class a piece of thin foam as a mattress and didn't sleep well either of the nights I was there.

I have stayed in Mingtown Hiker YH before which is really nice so my expectations were rather high, but I was quite disappointed in People's Square YH. I booked 6-bed dorm, but when I got there they didn't have space in the bigger rooms, so me and my friend still had do stay in the supertiny 4-bed dorm. There was also really awful smell in the hostel and also out in the street. Instead of this hostel I'd recommend the Mingtown Hiker YH on Jiangxi Middle Rd.

The hostel is absolutely ok. But outside the hostel entrance door is the waste collection place smelling very bad.

There is no air in the building,in the room.bad smell from bath.humid.

3박 머무는중 하루 청소하고 이틀은 청소하지 않음. 변기의 물은 내려가지 않아 사용할수 없었고 침대시트, 이불, 배게의 천이 매우 오래된듯 청결하지 않았다.

• 19th Jun 2014