Mingtown People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

No.35 Yong Shou Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

The location of the hostel was very easy to find, it was about a 5 minute walk from the metro. However, when I tried to check in the lady at the front desk said she had no resercation for me. When I tried to find it on my gmail, she told me that no one can access gmail in China. I was supposed to pay 30 CNY for the room but she told me I had to pay 80CNY. I had already paid a 12% deposit! Such a scam! I think she lied about me not having a reservation to try and take my money.

• 30th Dec 2015

The building is disgusting, it smells like pee. The rooms have no direct natural light or ventilation ! The bathroom has mold , the toilet and shower leak ! It is cheap but not worth it . Dont stay here

We arrived at 1am and were told that our booking was not until the next day, even though we had emailed to change the date and got a confirmation email. We then had I pay more money to stay in a double room rather than the dorm we had booked. The beds were extremely hard, just like a wooden plank with a thin piece of foam over it and the wifi would not work on our phones for the whole time we were there. Didnt really enjoy our stay :(

It is good hostel with friendly staff. The toilet is not clean enough, but location is great. It is good for travelers who have low budget

It's a very convenient hostel, well located. The room was correct but a window was missing so it was very noisy and a little bit cold! Possibility to let the luggage if you wanna go for a trip without them (but it's not for free). To me, it's not the best value for money in Shanghai.

This was a really clean hostel! The location was ok though at first it was hard to get around. The staff however is excellent! We had a lot of bags and the staff helped us bring them to our room and they also booked a cab for us: would recommend again.

The hotel had a great location. Just a few minutes walk from Nanjing Pedestrian Street and the People's Square subway station which made it easy to travel around the city. The rooms were pretty clean but a bit old looking and it could use a few updates. Overall the hostel is alright but I would definitely stay again just for the price and location.

• 27th Nov 2015

It is a really good hostel, I staid 3 days and I didn't have any problem, the beds are good, the bedrooms is not as clean as it should but always with hot watter, the bar really nice place to stay, the location is excellent! I really like this place, if ill go back to Shanghai I will stay there again!!. Thank you!!

• 26th Nov 2015
  • Mexico

Well located and very close to Dashijie metro stop, but the directions given from People's Square Metro were hard to follow and I got lost on the way there. But otherwise no complaints! One of the best and cleanest hostels I've stayed in in China.

• 13th Nov 2015

I will definetly use Mingtown again, if I am travelling to a city where they have a hostel!

The hostel is next to a seafood factory/market or something so there's always a fishy smell to it. I guess that's why some rooms don't have windows. Don't recommend it for a long stay but if you want to stay in a very cheap hostel that's quite central (near People's Square) then it's ok. Don't really like the bathrooms or toilets, remind me too much of public ones.

Before i complain, the location is amazing, but at a DIRTY price! The horrid kitchin had a resident rat, no plates etc, only dingy microwave. Toilets basic but did not even provide handsoap, two out of 5 ladies showers were unusable, some washing facilities broken too. Wifi shocking Beds horrendous. Grumpy staff did not speak english as listed, with one exception! Cafe food ok, but service horrible. Would not stay here again, even with the good location.

Excelent hostel! Well located and clean and amazing area. Cheaper and delicious food inside. The people that work are really helpfull. I recommend!!!

Toilets and bathroom were dirty, also the mattresses and the covers had blood marks... Otherwise the room was ok,

• 11th Sep 2015

This is very nice place to stay !

The beds are a bit too hard but all these rest was cool. The music choice was nice