Mingtown People's Square Youth Hostel Reviews

No.35 Yong Shou Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai, China

I have stayed in Mingtown Hiker YH before which is really nice so my expectations were rather high, but I was quite disappointed in People's Square YH. I booked 6-bed dorm, but when I got there they didn't have space in the bigger rooms, so me and my friend still had do stay in the supertiny 4-bed dorm. There was also really awful smell in the hostel and also out in the street. Instead of this hostel I'd recommend the Mingtown Hiker YH on Jiangxi Middle Rd.

The hostel is absolutely ok. But outside the hostel entrance door is the waste collection place smelling very bad.

There is no air in the building,in the room.bad smell from bath.humid.

3박 머무는중 하루 청소하고 이틀은 청소하지 않음. 변기의 물은 내려가지 않아 사용할수 없었고 침대시트, 이불, 배게의 천이 매우 오래된듯 청결하지 않았다.

• 19th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

I got a room 4 people, mixed and I booked for 6 people female. I don't mind but someone might. But I did mind the room, it was next to the bathroom and took in lots of noise. It was small so some needed to have there bags in there bed because they did not fit on the floor. Worst was that it was so dirty. In my bed corner there was much dust, old tissues and bugs, dead and alive. From the bed above me there where treads of dust hanging down. I change room after 1 night and it was much better.

Room was not cleaned as promised, air-con was not not working proberly and was not fixed after asked for, room had no window and reception and hall smelled like garbage (flies including) on all three days

• 24th May 2014

The temperature in the rooms got very hot, and it's not even summer yet.

The girls at the reception did not speak a word of English. Their first response to any of my questions was "no". Finally, there was a horrible smell everywhere in the hostel and its located behind a KTV or something else very noisy.

카운터에낮에일하는 여성분정말불친절하시고 호스텔앞에냄새장난아님 종종안날때가잇긴하지만 복도에는빠지지않고그대로 진동.

Kinda boring place, no atmos because it's alot of young Chinese peeps staying in Shanghai for work. But it's clean, friendly and pretty well located.

Next to the hostel there are many rubbish collecting containers which are likely the food waste from the near by restaurant. The smell of it is not a welcoming sign as guest reach the hostel. I hope the owner can do something about it. If the rubbish containers are not around, this hostel is a good choice for quiet stay.

The hostel is well located but really noisy and a bit smelly. I had to take off the linen from the person before me!!

The hostel itself is in a great location and benefits from a lovely café bar and great décor. The bar staff were excellent however two things let this place down. Firstly, the girl at reception was by far one of the most surly people I have ever been greeted, or should that be ignored, by. As the person who is the first point of contact, it would benefit the hostel in having someone who smiles and says hello. Secondly, the hostel smells strongly of dirty water. Use clean water and incense!

Very nice and cheap hostel. I recommande to stay if you need an central accommodation. People are nice and friendly and triying to help.

• 17th Mar 2014

good location, very weak wifi in the room and unfriendly female staff was weakness of this hostel.

Bad and good things about this hostel. Bad: Very hard to find. The directions given by the hostel are vague. Some of the rooms are freezing due to the windows being old and the heating being weak. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. Even people speaking at the opposite end of the corridor can be heard perfectly in your room. There are old pipes making banging noises at night. I slept extremely badly both nights I was here. Good: Pretty interior. Cafe onsite. Cheap

A perfect Youth hostel to stay in shanghai!!! Cheap ans pleasant!and a staff available to help you!;)