Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

This was a wonderful stay with excellent staff and friendly guests. There is no elevator here so one of the staff members offered to bring my 50lb luggage up 4 flights of stairs. I presume most guests at the hotel travel much lighter than I. The only negative thing I have to say about this hostel is that their internet upstairs isn't the greatest, but the connection on the first floor solves that.

• 24th Jun 2015

Really enjoyed my stay at Rock & Wood - it has a really nice atmosphere. As it's quite a new hostel, everything feels really fresh & bright. Really like the extra wide dorm beds! The communal areas feel super friendly & pleasant for socialising or recuperating. Helpful staff. The only problem I found was the wifi speed, which wasn't great. The location is convieniemt to get to other parts of the city but not any area you'd necessarily hang out in.

It's this kind of hostels that put 90% of their investment in the living room/reception/cafe for a wow feeling when you get in and then you realize the rooms don't match that feeling. I was there 6 days and they never came in once to clean the floor which build up more hair, dust and trash from people who checked out. If you're looking for a cozy place to read/enjoy a meal a coffee and don't care so much about private/comfortable time in your room then this is perfect.

Great hostel. The common area is amazing, best I have seen in a hostel. Pool table, couches, huge wooden table, outside lounge area, bar that also serves food. The location is great, just a couple minutes from the metro Line 2, which is the only one you will need in Shanghai. Though be aware there is a school next to the hostel so you will hear the morning bells in your room. Highly recommend if you are just passing through or staying for a week.

This was already the third hostel I have been to in Shanghai. And I have to say it also was the best one even though the other two where also very good. It definitely has an excellent atmosphere with very nice furniture and a small garden downstairs. The breakfast is also very good and prices are fair.

Probably the dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed at. We booked a 4 bed dorm but could only put us in a 6 room dorm. The dorm had so much dust it was ridiculous, there were also cigarette butts in our room, which were left there for the duration of our stay. The toilets and sink on each were foul and never cleaned once. Appart from that, the beer and food was relevatively well priced, except for their coffee which is about 5$AUD per cup. If they improved cleanliness this would be a good hostel

Really cool environment, indoor and outdoor. Friendly staff, big comfortable dorm beds and large lockers. Toilets were clean and smelled good (incense!) and the showers were good too. No complaints!

very enjoyable

• 6th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Great shower and perfect breakfast possibilities. Close to metro station, so getting into town is easyJet.

not very close of the attractions but good price... have no kitchen !!! so,you need to buy there(not cheap). Regular internet,good bathrooms.

Good hostel to meet people. Not exactly centrally located, but in a nice area of its own.

Both the inside and outside of the hostel were beautiful. Our room was small and window-less, but it was very clean and had a very comfortable bed. We loved the location-- very close to two metro stations. The Zhongshan park metro station is also located within a great mall with a cheap grocery store and a very convenient food court.

Probably the best stuff in a hostel I ever had. They helped me calling other hostels and planning my trip several times. Rooms are small but clean. Definitely a recommendation

Booked super last minute, becuase of delayed flight. Also checked out really early, but it was no problem to get everything done first moment the staff started working. Slept well in the dorm, clean place. Would stay there again.

Great hostel, helpful staff, very quiet and relaxed. It's a little bit out of the way from the major tourist locations, but that's not entirely a bad thing. My only complaint is that the hostel doesn't have anywhere to bring your own food and eat it. I wanted to relax in the sitting area downstairs with some food I bought outside, but the guy from the cafe came over and told me to leave.

Super awesome, the atmosphere is great there. i like its lobby and balcony very much, and the room is clean. Its a very special first hostel experience.

• 22nd May 2015
  • China

The hostel was a little far East from the most interesting spots, but still close enough to the metro lines 2, 3, and 4. The lounge area is nicely decorated, and we enjoyed having a few drinks there in the evening. It is by far the cleanest hostel in Shanghai, and the staff is welcoming and always friendly. The only downside is that there is no wifi in the whole hostel, which will be annyoing for anyone who plans to stay longer than a few days.

Not bad! Nice atmosphere and close (enough) to the subway. Very relaxing, decent food. Keep in mind the showers and toilets are shared. I didn't mind but some might. The biggest downer for me was that the doors were crazy loud to open/close. For whatever reason the door will continually beep when someone closes it (awesome when you're roommate comes in at 3am.....)

Wifi is horrible here, and non existent almost. Staff are friendly and helpful, and the bar is a good place to meet other travellers. Beds are comfy also. Nothing really amazing about the place, but there is plenty of good food nearby

nice place to stay. half chinese, half foreigners. close by were some small street food places. took us about 15min by subway to downtown.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6