Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

1977 Total Reviews

nice common area and atmosphere. food was terrible. mouldy smell in the room.

The Rock&Wood is good hostel in easy access to the subway line in Shanghai. It has a great bar area with garden. The private rooms are clean and tidy. My only complaint is the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything from your neighbours.

• 27th Mar 2015

pros: the armosphere is really nice. it is easy to get to know new friends from all over the world and everyone seems open. the common area is a good place to meet people and friends and is really comfortable. cons: i moved to another bed after the dirst night bc the matress was horrible and i couldnt sleep. the second one was much better and quite comfortable. the doors cant be closed from the outside without smashing them, so everytime someone left the room i woke up. there is no kitchen!

Very friendly staff!!!

We didn't get the rooms we booked - staff was moderate friendly and helpful - I don't know how they got the cleanliness award but our room was so dusty and not very clean - floor and sinks were full with hair. Location was not that great, ca 10mins walking distance to next underground. the lobby though was very nice, pool table (great idea!!), nice seating area, that looked really perfect. An elevator would have been nice - stayed on the 4th floor, (after a long journey, heavy luggage...)

A very nice place to stay--reasonable price, lively atmosphere in the bar area, very polite staff, clean bed etc... Except that the hostel is a little bit far away from the nearest metro. Anyway, 5 stars recommended.

Thanks, hope to see you again!!!

nice place

• 8th Mar 2015
  • Taiwan

I arrived late at night and could check in without any problems. Not the easiest place to find since it's located in a small alley, but the descriptions given at this site should be enough to get you here. About 10 minute walk to the nearest subway (line 3 and 4). Only negative comment is that when I was still sleeping the housekeeping came in my room (10am.) to clean the bed next to me.

I'm sorry to bring you bad experiences, we will correct the deficiencies before and look forward to your next time to stay!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! They took in an abandoned puppy in a box on their doorstep just a few days before I came, that warmed my heart! The staff is helpful and speaks English well. The 8-bed-dormitory I stayed in was comfy, I liked it there. A little cold in the lobby when I was there (early March) but otherwise a nice place to socialize (bar and pool table!). Free use of the computers in the lobby and long hot showers are provided as well. I'll definitely come back!

Staff were very very nice at the reception, but not so at the bar. Good location next to metro station, decent environment, large and clean room. Highly Recommend this.

I arrived at this hostel, not sure what to expect. But I followed the directions they gave me straight from the airport, and it was so easy. The whole time I was there, I had so much fun and I met so many new friends! I was travelling alone, and from the minute i walked into the hostel, I made friends in the amazing big communal bar and had friends to sightsee with in the day and drink the night away with. The hostel has such a good social atmosphere, and I really couldn't fault them at all! :)

• 25th Feb 2015

Great overall!

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Norway

Amzing, nice place, nice food and good atmosphere...!!! Will book it again!!!

I booked the twin ensuite during the Chinese New Year. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Many non-Chinese speaking guests in the hostel. It's about 5-10 minutes' easy walk from Metro Station. Or 10-15 minutes' easy walk from another Metro Station with a shopping mall (a Carrefour and lots of eatery in it). I loved the small eatery just around the corner behind the hostel.

Pros: cozy common areas, comfortable beds, great roommates, cute pets, inexpensive meals, separate toilet and shower stalls with locking doors and hooks for clothes, speedy solutions to problems when manager is present. Cons: floors that smell dirty when mopped, doors and windows left open in winter, unfriendly neighborhood merchants, temperamental Internet connections, mostly slow funeral-like music, a few apathetic or argumentative employees, poor customer service when manager is absent.

The atmosphere in the hostel was great, the common area really allowed people to meet and chat to each other. There was wifi throughout the hostel but unfortunately I couldn't connect to the lobby wifi, for some reason it just wouldn't work for me, the upstairs wifi did though so it didn't matter too much about the lobby wifi. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the security was good, including key card entry to the dorm rooms and doorbell entrance into the hostel during the night time.

• 22nd Feb 2015

Good hostel 5 minutes walk from Line 2, so easy to get anywhere. Nice rooms and bathrooms. Recommended!

This is definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at everything was just perfect...really convenient location the atmosphere at night is chill and friendly, nice decoration and the most important part everything was cleas, also the staff was really helpful with info about huangshan...I will definitely stay here again the next time I go back to Shanghai

The hostel is a little to hip for me. I like quiet hostels in convenient locations and this one seems to have a lively social atmosphere which is not conducive to sleep. It's also a bit far from the nearest metro if you are carrying more than a single bag. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean and secure.

Not as centrally located as some hostels, but makes up for it with very good service, friendly staff speaking excellent English, and a great social area. Would stay again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6