Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Hostel is a bit far from the centre but it has a good atmosphere. The staff are ok, they could have been friendlier.

I had a poor experience with housekeeping coming in at 10 am and waking us up even though we weren't checking out. I also had another run-in where my feet were actually swept. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they seemed interested in helping but any other time I had asked questions, I felt like I was bothering them. Also, the restaurant is very nice but they isn't a place you can eat your own food which is unfortunate since China offers such great foods. The place is spotless though.

If only the staff gave a s**t...

Rock&Wood was the best hostel I had in China since now. The staff is really nice and helps you with bookings or other stuff. The atmosphere in the bar or in the garden is really great. Good place to relax. Was also very clean and there where 2 metro stations, lots of restaurants, shops etc around. Keep it up!

Stayed one night in dorm, enjoyed the common area in the lobby. Staff was helpful and speaks good English. Bathrooms and showers are small, but clean. A little far from everything, but easy to get around with the subway, which is a 10-15 min walk from the hostel. Would stay again.

Great hostel, friendly staff. This is NOT a partying/loud hostel. The atmosphere is rather serene and quiet (also beautiful). But if you are looking for a hostel to go out during the night in Shanghai, look closer to the Bund. Still a great hostel if you are looking for a relaxing stay.

Excellent hostel. As luxurious as a hotel. Staff was extremely friendly. Beautiful little garden at the entrance. I stayed in a private room and the shower and bathroom were amazing. Would definitly stay there again!

Nice hostel. Beautiful location. But it was sad that there was no atmosphere. Everybody was just busy with its notebooks and it was hard to make contacts. For lonely travellers it is maybe not the best place to meet people. We were wondering about and found no answer about the 'why?!'. But the rooms were nice, we had a deluxe room, which was clean and beautiful.

Two bed rooms didn't have a window and the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly everyday. Soap would help a lot to clean the shower. We even got a used towel as a "fresh" one. But the staff was always friendly and changed them. The food is not the best but it is eatable and the hostel is very easy to find (10 minutes walk from the subway)if you follow the instructions to get there on hostelworld. Nevertheless I found it quite far away from the central city, that is why I wouldn't go there again.

The staff was extremely cool and extremely helpful. I left my room key at a travel agency and one of the staff went to pick it up for me so i didnt have to pay the deposit. Hostel is super chill and relaxing.Its nice to come in from the city and leave to somewhere quiet. Definitely would stay here again.

Had a great stay there, nice Hostel :-)

Nice place. a little hard to find. All in all a great value for the cost.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • EvanH

The hostel does not have an elevator, but everything else was good :)

The best hostel I've stayed at in China. It has a very relaxed atomsphere and very helpful english-speaking staff!

Staff had a "i don't care" attitude at times, but overall pretty good service. Everything else was killer

• 3rd Sep 2014

One of my favorite hostels in Shanghai... I only wish it had a elevator and was closer to the subway.

The hostel itself was good, great room with ensuite, staff mostly spoke English, one guy wasn't too helpful when we asked about what was available in the local area, but we were able to borrow a map and city guide. The hostel at the time of our stay was 98% French students who pretty much refused to speak English so it wasn't a great atmosphere but that's not obviously the hostels fault.

you must consider a better comon areas, or use a part of the bar, to stay open as a common area

Very very nice place, very pretty and clean. There is a wooden terrace with water passing by, a big patio in which they show movies on a projector at night (not sure it is every night, but I saw it a couple times). Single rooms are really big for 220RMB (25€) per night, and staff speaks good English. Very good atmosphere, I definitely recommend the place. Only point for tourists: the location isn't very very central, but it's close enough to all the places you will want to go I think.

• 27th Aug 2014

Staff were not that outgoing but helpful when needed and spoke English well enough. Nice big common room/bar. It should be a good place to meet other travellers although there werenot manyfriendlypeople there while I was. The location is quite abit away from the centre although it is only a 5 min walk to the metro station.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6