Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

The hostel located in the old street. Staff is nice, environment is good.

The staff at the reception was very nice and welcoming and it was very pleasant to have someone speak English so well considering how difficult it is to speak Chinese when you're a foreigner. The only bad thing I guess would be that we were in a private room just across the washroom and we heard all the noises so we couldn't sleep so well.

• 15th Apr 2014

The hostel was great, the sleeping arrangements are pretty much the same for all places but the downstairs lobby space was great for working and I suspect when it's busier it's good for social aspects. The location is good too, not too far from metro and shops nearby. One of my favourite hostels in Shanghai and I've stayed in a few

• 14th Apr 2014

Thank you very much for your review, we wish everyone enjoy their stay here like you you had. Welcome to here anytime! :-)

I loved the luxury of the private room!! Very good value for my money!

Thanks, see you next time!!

Comfy beds, big rooms, great showers and bathrooms, nice lounge area. Wifi usually works decently, though it's slower than western China. The long termers are the best part of the hostel, I think. They're eager to talk with English speakers and share and learn and teach, and make staying in the hostel much more enjoyable. Staff is helpful, though some speak less English than others. There's a wonderful, cheap little Chinese food buffet if you turn right, then right, the fifth store, open often.

The Hostel ist Really the nicest One i've ever been to! It's not in the center of Shanghai but near a good metro Station. And the Hostel itself is really nice with a great courtyard, Lounge, very helpfull staff! We had the private Rom which was totally cool with a Big bathroom, rainshower and a little private terrace in Front of our door. I loved to Stay there and Would recommend it to everyone who wants to come to Shanghai! Its in a Little, quiet street with some chinese Marktes nearby.

• 9th Apr 2014

Quiet hostel with a nice relaxing outdoor area. Easy to get there, although located a bit out of the way. 4-bed dorm room was on the small side, but it didn't feel too cramped. Mattress was firm and comfortable.

Have stayed at Rock&Wood two times now and couldn't be more satisfied. Though a bit smelly where the toilets are.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Great breakfast, good value for money. Beautiful lobby/lounge area. Loved the dogs. Nice rooms.

• 4th Apr 2014

I had a twin bed room for myself. It's ok for a few days. Don't expect that they have shampoo and shower gel for you. In those few days they didn't make up my room even once. You really have to ask for it. But I get clean towels everyday, that's more important to me. After 4 days they should have changed the blanket, but you really have to ask for it too.

• 2nd Apr 2014

All in all a really good hostel, welcoming when I arrived after a long flight and difficult journey from the airport. Very traditional feel, the location was also in an area that felt very authentic. It could be a little intimidating if you're on your own and maybe not too confident about travelling because the streets are not well lit at night and is a considerable (but actually quite interesting) walk from the most convenient metro station. Great street food nearby! So cheap and very quick too

• 28th Mar 2014

Thanks for like our hostel, we will do better and better!

Travellers must be prepared for the fact that this is not your regular 'youth hostel'. Most of its dorm room spaces have been sublet out to long-term stayers who are from the outer provinces looking for a job, or are currently working in Shanghai. As such DO NOT expect the youthful and dynamic culture expected of a youth hostel. It is almost like a factory dorm with minimal interaction. The only reason one should stay here is for the cost.

We are sorry for your inconvenience, we will pay attention to correct deficiencies prior to strive to do better! Looking forward to your next stay!!!

Great stay, as always! Very helpful staff, nice rooms, nice location, perfect atmosphere! Will definitely stay here again on my next weekend trip to SH! :-)

Thanks for like our hostel, we will be better and better.

Good, clean hostel, the second time I stayed here. Showers were under construction, so the new ones should be nice. Very nice sitting/lobby area when the weather is warm.

A bit more expensive, but one of the best hostels I've stayed at!

Thanks, hope to see you again!

Well, the location is not as good as the Mingtown one but the facilities are way better. Anyways, great place to stay.

Thanks, we will do better!!

Large hostel in a bit of a further-out neighbourhood in Shanghai. The lobby of the hostel is awesome: great recreation/bar area. Very modern. Definitely a bit of schlep to get to the major tourist sites of Shanghai, unfortunately.

We liked the area with good access to the metro. The staff were really helpful and the rooms nice and clean.

A fantastic hostel, great location, lovely rooms and really helpful staff

I had a lovely stay here and I thought the environment was great for travellers, tourists and even for business travellers. Staff member Crispy was always very happy and helpful.

• 2nd Mar 2014

Thanks! we will do better!!! Hope to see you next time!!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5