Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

it is a reli good experience, the price is so reasonable and the staff n my roommates r so nice! i have met a lot of friends there :)

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

The hostel is fantastic. Great location, and a beautiful bar/lobby area to meet new people. I'd definitely stay here again. As with most hostels I've stayed in China, the internet is a bit spotty. But overall, I had a fantastic time here.

• 16th Jul 2014

The common area is very nice, but the bathrooms are unacceptable. They reek of * (even in the showers). I would not stay there again. They need to do a much better job of cleaning.

I'm very sorry to give you left a bad impression, so we will try to correct them before, strive to make every guest stay in our hostel are satisfied! We are looking forward to your visit again

What a gem of a hostel this one... Stayed here for one night only and loved it. The ambience, the music played in the lounge, the willingness of staff to help you all top notch. The feel of the hostel is super cool, complements to the designer. The food or drinks are reasonably priced and the directions to the hostel i got after booking were spot on. If i really have to choose any downside it would be the wifi... On and off. Other than that... All i'd say is look no further... Rating 11/10

• 10th Jul 2014
  • India

Thank you very much for your precious opinions, about wifi, we will improve as soon as possible, believe that will be improved

The hostel is almost perfect, it is clean, very nice atmosphere, staff is very helpfull and speaks English very well, a lot of facilities and we even watched the soccer worldcup games at 4.00AM. The 'only' downside of this hostel is that it is located 15 minutes from the metro station, however we did not experienced this as a very negative aspect. Therefor we highly recommend this awesome hostel. Keep up the good work!

My friend and I had a great stay here. I can't express how awesome the staff was, and I liked the location. Wuyi avenue was a cute street, and convenient to the metro. I will return if I ever make it back to Shanghai

• 8th Jul 2014

Thank you very much, look forward to your stay again

The nearest metro station from here is 'Zhongshan Park'(line 2 ; good for sightseeing), but taken 15 minutes by walking. A little bit tired. The room was very clean and air conditional was also well. I stayed 2 nights with family, I think it's not good for family, and usually western young tourists are coming. At first night, wifi wasn't worked!!! Next day it solved but I couldn't accept it at first. Staffs are kind and atmosphere is quite well. Except wifi, not bad.

Rock&Wood has nice double rooms and a very nice and spacious common area. Our double room (with patio) was very large, with large bed and good bathroom/shower. Staff is friendly and helpful. The hostel is located at about 10 minutes walk from Metro Line 2, which is very convenient when you want to travel to interesting sites in Shanghai (direct to People Square, East Nanjing/Bund, airport).

good hostel with a nice english speaking staff!

Nice hostel, friendly staff. Close enough to metro. Would have been good to know the room didn't have a window when booking.

The stay here was great. Our private room was spacious enough and in comparison to other hostels very clean. The facilities in the bathroom were also quite modern. From the metro station it is not even a 15 min walk (like described), max. 10 min. The location is very nice with many little shops and restaurants around the hostel. Recommend this hostel!

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, including their dog. The lounge was very cozy, because it provided many good books and comfy chairs. The drinks at the bar are reasonably priced as well. The dorms, washrooms and showers were very clean. The hostel is about a 10 minute walk from Line 2 which is convenient. There are a lot of little dumpling places and convenient stores located nearby as well.

The staff were great! Forgot my charger but they had me covered. tucked away in a quiet location. definitely gets my stamp of approval! ..a bit away from most of the sights... but still great!

It seems like Line 3 and Line 4 are closer to the hostel so it might be useful to add that to the directions.

This hostel doesn't really enforce its quiet hours. So do your best to not have a room near the communal bathrooms!

We recently spent two months traveling in China, and this was our favorite hostel. Beautiful, comfortable, great location, friendly staff. We felt relaxed and at ease there. The neighborhood was lovely, and we found it easy to get around. There's a fun coffee shop nearby (though the coffee at the hostel was also great).

Staff are super helpful! We found it a bit hard to locate as we got out of a different metro line exit. It is also a bit further away from main attractions but using the metro was great. Make sure you get a 24h metro pass it's much cheaper :)

• 17th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

A very nice place to stay for 1 or more nights!

Lovely location, close to subway and easy to find. Many restaurants in the neighborhood. Showers were good, good water pressure and hot water. Dorm room was spacious, large window, air con, private lockers, sturdy

Hostel was clean with comfortable beds and good facilities e.g. the bar and food service. Only let down for me was that the location wasn't particularly central but is close to the metro so you could access everywhere from there. Would definitely recommend to travelers and people who are working in Shanghai too

• 14th Jun 2014