Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

I lived in Shanghai R&W Youth Hostel. Actually, I'm a little disappointed. My roommates made the room dirty and messy...and some were rude and misbehaved... That made me want to leave ASAP but the hostel manager wouldn't care about you. Facilities were old but ok. Washing machine and the clothe dryer were convenient. It was great that there were many outlets for recharging. I'd recommend the environment of the community--very comfortable, kind, convenient and beautiful. I prefer the community.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

There was work going on while I was staying which was a bit annoying. Located quite far from the centre (ie. the Bund), but only 5 minutes to the subway with a direct line to the centre.

The hostel location is great. Two metro lines are very close and the directions to reach it are straightforward. We found great fruit markets and restaurants, reasonably priced, nearby. We were able to catch a bus to Zhu Jia Jiao ten minutes from the hostel for a day trip. The staff were friendly and helped with questions about our plans or Chinese pronunciation. The common room area is nice and spacious. The twin room was tight on space but the bathroom was clean.

Not hugely impressed after hearing good things. The thing that got to us most was the building works that were going on in the reception area. Other than being dangerous and noisy, it woke us up every morning at around 8.30am. Not something you want in any hostel/hotel. We were mostly annoyed that this was not told to us before we arrived and you could hardly hear the staff when they were talking to you. The room was very small and dingy (no window) and the breakfast very cold! Disappointed!

Good to stay here!

• 11th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

First time in Chinese Hostel, was a bit worried but easily recommend it. Distance from Bund might be an issue for some but bare in mind Shanghai is a huge city. Toilet cleanliness can and should be improved.

This was a really lovely hostel with an excellent communal/bar area and outside garden-y bit too, 5 mins walk from the nearest metro station. I'm only marking it down on cleanliness because the room we stayed in had a fair bit of black mould on the walls which gave my asthmatic friend a bad night's sleep (didn't bother me at all). Otherwise it was very friendly and welcoming, comfy beds, great showers, great value.

Had a wonderful stay in one of their rooms. The only thing I dont like is the glass door in my room's bathroom. I can see it when my gf is using the bathroom. Either that glass door should be opaque or they need to install another wooden door.

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

It is a pleasant place to stay in Shanghai. I have been there several times over the years. It's a safe place where I feel good in Shanghai.

Good location a short walk from the metro from Hongqiao station, did what was needed before my flight in the morning.

Great hostel and what you expect in a big city. Nothing super special that stands out. Felt more like a hotel than a hostel but still good.

Hostel looks great. Very nice beds and awsome shower. Unfortunately there was a lot of noise due to construction work. This woke us up too early with a headache. I wish they had informed us in advance. Its quite far walk from the metro with all your luggage. Also, there are many people lying around on the couches for hours (not very lively and bad for the atmosphere). This is a pity cause the hostel has so much potential!!

Hostel is close to the subway but not near any of the highlights of the city without using the subway. Free lockers, good wifi-connection, comfy beds (with own light and powerpoint) and many (western) toilets are a big plus. Didn't like it that you have to do the laundry yourself since other hostels do it for you, it is much cheaper though but if you have little time like me, you would prefer the service. Large but cosy common room.

2nd Time We were there. And We would do iteverytime again! Very helpfull staff and nice Bar with Pool table. Dorm was 4 instead of 6 people,so quite Good for us! Super- Clean aswell

Pretty close to the subway, good location in a quiet neighbourhood. The room was huge, comfy bed and clean bathroom. Would recommend and I plan to stay here again!

Nice budget hotel. Does not have the backpacker vibe as most hostels do.

Good location, excellent staff, relaxed atmosphere. Better than many hotels I have stayed in in China!

The place has an incredible common area.

• 26th Oct 2014

the hostel is a bit far from the Bund or the French Concession, but located close to two main metrolines. My room is kinda small, but hot shower works -- and that is not something you can say about a lot of hostels in China. it has a very nice hangout area -- with a bar, a pool table, a small fishpond, and several sofas. Great place to meet other travelers that way.

It's a wonderful experience for staying at the Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel, everything is awesome here!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6