Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

2052 Total Reviews

Super awesome, the atmosphere is great there. i like its lobby and balcony very much, and the room is clean. Its a very special first hostel experience.

• 22nd May 2015
  • China

nice place to stay. half chinese, half foreigners. close by were some small street food places. took us about 15min by subway to downtown.

Awesome Possum

As with all YHA hostels, the quality is assured. Staff are friendly and speak good English, rooms are clean and comfortable, location is great for metro etc. The email from the hostel containing useful information (directions etc) is a great idea.

I had fun at this hostel and met a good group of people. Staff were friendly and spoke good English. Quite a few long term guests in the dorm rooms. Food is standard and a bit pricey. Showers are quite small. Wifi was almost always bad.

The lounge is awesome and the staff fantastic. Food relatively cheap. Location is convenient as it's very close to the metro. However, the 6 bed dorm felt a little cramped and the showers are a bit unpleasant, they were somehow always wet. Also, why no toilet paper in the toilet?

A great hostel experience. Best location! Thank you!

• 5th May 2015

It was a very pleasant stay in the Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel, we received way more than we expected! Only one thing left a bad impression: we experienced very poor safety regulations at this hostel! Three examples: 1) Helping to open a bag by force without controlling our identities. 2) Opening the room in the middle of the night without controlling my identity. 3) Pick up bags at the reception on the last day without controlling our identities. That is really concerning.

• 5th May 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Nice clean place. Didn't like that I couldn't bring outside food into the lounge, but still a good place to relax.

Totally fine hostel, a little hard to find but close to Zhongshan Park and a few tube stops. Bar is really nice, though not the most social - mainly people on laptops, but that's China hostels for you really. Staff were great, very clean, would visit again.

It was affordable price, I didn't expect so much. However It was so good :) I highly recommend this hostel. If you want to expect to be relax and apart from downtown, Book now :)

• 1st May 2015
  • South Korea

I have stayed at this hostel before and enjoyed it both times, though I had a better time the first stay. The staff behind the counter are very friendly and helpful, the cleaning staff however woke me up and 6:45AM by almost yelling at each other in their normal conversation. They continued all morning. That however is the only complaint I have.

Great hostel!! Love the atmosphere. Recommend it to anyone. Not a fan of communal showers and toilets, but that's how it is with hostels. Will be back!

At first, staff were confused and disorganized when dealing with my multiple bookings at the Hostel (a bit annoying). Then, my bed was filthy and contained trash from the previous visitor so communication between staff was an issue. However, everything was great! Staff members were helpful with directions and information regarding city sites to see and helped me with cancelling bookings at other hostels. The lounge/Cafe on the main floor is beautiful with excellent Cappucinos!

We stayed at the Rock&Wood IYH for one night only, but it was a great hostel. It's tucked away in an alley with a lovely walled garden & pond and very spacious lounge. Helpful staff. We had a very clean, big room with a nice view on the first floor. Clean bathroom with a good shower. Decent breakfast & good coffee. Wish it were located a little closer to the city centre, but would stay here again definitely.

This was truly one of the loveliest hostel environments I've ever been in. It's relaxing, especially at breakfast time where you can sit by a lovely water feature. 10 min walk to a subway and surrounded by lots of shops and restaurants. Staff are friendly and helpful. All round great stay. Only disappointment was that my side of the building faced a primary school so I would wake everyday from the noise.

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Very nice place to stay for a couple of days or more. You can have a cheap beer while playing pool for free or enjoy the cute little garden.

Thanks! Hope to see you next time!

Very good, value for money hostel in the heart of Xining. Near (walking distance) of all the mosques, the park and has great supermarkets and eateries across the road. Staff were very helpful too when you needed anything. Only minor issue was that Wi-Fi was a bit slow and inconsistent at times but otherwise, thought the place was great. Would definitely recommend it to anyone travelling to XIning.

Convenient position, near the metro. Both the staff and my roommates are kindly, and the shared bathroom is also clean. Great hostel.

Thanks! Hope to see you again!

The staff is very nice and cooperative and fluent in English. We chose the most expensive room category which was still quite cheap, especially compared to Germany. The room was a bit small but very nice (large bed and large bathroom with own shower and WC). The maid came every day to change the towels and to clean the room. The garden was very beautiful. Sometimes it was a bit noisy during the night as there were guests talking outside close to our room. I would definitely recommend this place.

• 13th Apr 2015