Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Location was excellent and staff very helpful. Facilities are great for the price and having a kitchen, a bar, pool table (sometimes a bit noisy with balls hitting the floor) etc. is really a plus for the whole experience. The only thing I was against was the wearing of street shoes into the sleeping rooms. I really think there should be a sign asking everyone to remove their street shoes before entering the whole facility or before entering the sleeping rooms. Less to clean for the cleaners.

• 9th Dec 2014

Nice stay, only there for one night on the way back to London. Lovely staff, the receptionist helped me with getting my cell phone topped up using her own phone account. She didn't have to, but went the extra distance. Nice.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Very comfortable hostel. Surprisingly comfortable bed for China. Warm room. Good breakfast (you pay for).

Nice place and staff. Just recommend to update the map. Since there are two kaiyuan school so people won't get lost when locating the hostel. Will go there again.

I love this place, very nice place and well located.

Really nice place to stay, good location, clean and comfortable. The downstairs communal/bar area is really good. Nice place to chill out, meet people and play some pool.

I had a nice stay there, bed is very comfortable. The downside is that the room is tiny, the bathroom is not very clean. But it's good price for sh, what else can i say.

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • China

Privates are a bit pricy, and can get a bit noisy (walls are very thin). But still it's a good choice in terms of location and facilities

I lived in Shanghai R&W Youth Hostel. Actually, I'm a little disappointed. My roommates made the room dirty and messy...and some were rude and misbehaved... That made me want to leave ASAP but the hostel manager wouldn't care about you. Facilities were old but ok. Washing machine and the clothe dryer were convenient. It was great that there were many outlets for recharging. I'd recommend the environment of the community--very comfortable, kind, convenient and beautiful. I prefer the community.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

A short subway ride from town but nothing extreme. The staff are quite nice and can speak English. The building has no lift so if you get one of the upper floors you'll be doing some leg workout (not a negative in my opinion!). Bed was comfortable, shower rooms decent and WiFi worked. Couldn't really ask for more. Did the job!

There was work going on while I was staying which was a bit annoying. Located quite far from the centre (ie. the Bund), but only 5 minutes to the subway with a direct line to the centre.

The hostel location is great. Two metro lines are very close and the directions to reach it are straightforward. We found great fruit markets and restaurants, reasonably priced, nearby. We were able to catch a bus to Zhu Jia Jiao ten minutes from the hostel for a day trip. The staff were friendly and helped with questions about our plans or Chinese pronunciation. The common room area is nice and spacious. The twin room was tight on space but the bathroom was clean.

Not hugely impressed after hearing good things. The thing that got to us most was the building works that were going on in the reception area. Other than being dangerous and noisy, it woke us up every morning at around 8.30am. Not something you want in any hostel/hotel. We were mostly annoyed that this was not told to us before we arrived and you could hardly hear the staff when they were talking to you. The room was very small and dingy (no window) and the breakfast very cold! Disappointed!

Good to stay here!

• 11th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Great bar and lounge area but you not allowed to bring your own food so everyone brings good the the room which makes it messy and dirty. My room was quite dirty and messy (but it could also be bcos of the ppl staying there) it doesn't have a hostel atmosphere it feels more like a hotel. Which is ok if you not looking to meet people.Staff very helpful! The girl with classes that stays at the reception during the day was very sweet and have me a lot of tips on what to do and where to go

First time in Chinese Hostel, was a bit worried but easily recommend it. Distance from Bund might be an issue for some but bare in mind Shanghai is a huge city. Toilet cleanliness can and should be improved.

This was a really lovely hostel with an excellent communal/bar area and outside garden-y bit too, 5 mins walk from the nearest metro station. I'm only marking it down on cleanliness because the room we stayed in had a fair bit of black mould on the walls which gave my asthmatic friend a bad night's sleep (didn't bother me at all). Otherwise it was very friendly and welcoming, comfy beds, great showers, great value.

Had a wonderful stay in one of their rooms. The only thing I dont like is the glass door in my room's bathroom. I can see it when my gf is using the bathroom. Either that glass door should be opaque or they need to install another wooden door.

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Malaysia

It is a pleasant place to stay in Shanghai. I have been there several times over the years. It's a safe place where I feel good in Shanghai.

Good location a short walk from the metro from Hongqiao station, did what was needed before my flight in the morning.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6