Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

1949 Total Reviews

I had booked a four-bed room but they put me in a six-bed room. I had booked way in advance so at the time I thought it strange but didn't give it much thought. If I had, I would have complain because it's not fair and I should have gotten a price reduction or the right type of room!!

There are lots of foreigners and the lobby is comfortable. The staff are cold sometimes. Maybe I will choose it next time,

• 6th Feb 2015
  • China

In my experience, staying in three hostels in Shanghai during he past year, this is the best one in the city, and about as good as they get in any city, anywhere in the world, and at 71, hostelling since I was 23 in too many countries to count, I should know. My only ding was to facilities because the great common area/bar/cafe area is too cold and drafty in the wintertime. I understand from both local westerners and Chinese, this is the budget lodging they recommend to friends and contacts.

• 3rd Feb 2015

A very nice and well equipped hostel including key card entry to rooms, lockers and a terrific lobby/bar/common area. Note that location wise it is about 1-1.5 hrs away from the Pudong airport by metro. That aside it is within 10 minutes walk of a major metro station hub and plenty of nice areas, restaurants and coffee shops are in walking distance.

• 2nd Feb 2015

Sound insulator should be added between rooms, can hear every single word the neighbours are talking abt

The Hostel is very nice, it's well located (just a 7 minute walk to a main metro line. Staff is very kind and helpful (shout out to Amy and Mr. "Very Man"!) Our only problem was that we arrived 2 hours later than what we had put down on our reservation, and they cancelled it. Thankfully, they gave us a private room for that night, although we had to negotiate for a bit to get the same price we had before.

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Argentina

Perfect at the end of our trip when we needed a little more rest and comfort. The lounge and outdoor area is beautiful! Nice staff

This hostel is really beautiful and also really well priced. The common area has a great atmosphere and offers good food and drinks. It's close enough to the centre of town, but far enough to be peaceful and quiet. Highly recommended!

wifi could be faster could be warmer in the sitting area

• 25th Jan 2015

I was impressed with the facilities available, the friendliness of the staff, and the atmosphere of the bar downstairs.

Just 5-minute walk to metro circle line, by which you can go anywhere in 30 mins. However the neighborhood is a little bit poor, with barely food stores or convenient shops. The staff is nice and funny. The best part is the public area, providing food of different countries and fast Internet connection. Besides, the atmosphere is good. It is never hard to see people talking and making friends here.

The staff are AWESOME. Will go out of their way to help you if needed. Facilities always clean and comfortable. Good for a one night stop or for a few months. This place has a good communal vibe and you're guaranteed to meet people here.

• 23rd Jan 2015

This hostel was a good stay, a little more than we had paid in Beijing, for good reason. The king size bed was almost too big :) the shower excellent in private en suit. Hotel staff always did best to help even with language barrier, Making calls etc Some taxis couldn't find the place easily even with hotel flyer, may be to do with them rather than the location. It's easy to find the Station and quickly get to main parts of the city center. Food is good, free pool table and wi fi all over.

The resting area is pretty cozy. There are two dogs and a fat cat wandering the hostel. They tend to open and close the door (to the resting area) quite a lot, making it very chilly. Turning up the heat by standard wouldn't hurt or putting some blankets everywhere.

• 13th Jan 2015
  • Belgium

New and clean with a nice-looking bar and lounge area complete with cat. Staff were friendly and competent, though the night manager didn't look too happy when I needed to leave at 6am. Hostel is not well signposted from the road and the toilets and showers on my floor were not well indicated. Clientele mainly Chinese when I stayed. Handy to subway line 4, but in a quiet area not near a busy part of Shanghai, so you need to travel to do anything. Local supermarket etc. nearby.

Great plece, nice people!

This hostel has a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, and the employees are super friendly. It's also home to three pets: two dogs and a cat. If you're an animal lover like me, you will love the place. The wi-fi works much better in the dorms than it does in the lobby, and so does the heat. There's a giant heater in the dining area, but only the top part of it blows warm air; the bottom part blows cool air. I strongly advise against sitting too closely to it. The common areas are fabulous.

가격대비 괜찮은 호스텔이라 생각 합니다. 샤워 침대 거실 좋앗으며, 아쉬움 점은 위치이네요... 지하철역과 거기가 상당히 멀어 한번 들어오면 나가기 귀찮습니다.

Too far from city centre....6 stops from skyline

Overall the hotel is good. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm and everything was great and comfortable. The location is a bit far from everything, but you can easily get to the metro stations close by. Nice neighborhood as well as hotel staff. Breakfast was not as good and in general the hostel menu is a bit expensive. There was a huge cat walking through the kitchen and all over the place, not sure if it had a try of my food as well. The hotel ambiance was top notch. Recommended.