Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Wonderful hostel! Thank you for such a lovely time and helping me get around! I enjoyed all of your staff members! I met a lifelong friend here, too! Xiexie! PS: Adding curtains, to your beds (for privacy) would increase my likelihood of returning (especially in the co-ed bunkrooms)!

• 7th Jan 2016

I have stayed here a few times and always enjoy it. Staff are friendly, common area is really nice and coffee is cheap and very good. Beds very comfy, bathrooms clean. Only potential downside is the location. It's located in the ZhongShan area which is nowhere near most of the "touristy" locations but I personally really like it as lots of nice restaurants nearby and quite a chilled-out neighbourhood.

I arrived at around 2am (and had warned the hostel) and at first when I arrived, I was unsure that I was going to be able to get in. But eventually the night worker came and it all worked out.

• 6th Jan 2016

We booked a basic double room and it was really tiny but for the price ok. We upgraded to the double room and it was worth it.

Our first hostel in China and a great start. Stayed in a standard double with en suite which was small but clean. We stayed an extra night so had to change to a more expensive twin room as we hadn't booked and it was much nicer than the double, large room and hotel quality. Breakfast was great and there are a few cheap street stalls nearby for dinner.

We loved it. Will be coming back!

A great stay!

A very nice hostel with big rooms. Big plus for convenient laundry service! Good transportation connections nearby.

一大早有人吵 能不能管管啊 毕竟不是开放的公共区域。wifi 永远处于连不上信号 电话也没有信号哎 工作人员一般般热情吧只能说。还有晚上能不能别断我热水 晚上房间的浴室只有温水 偏冷的温水 哎 位置车很难进都要走到路口打车 terrible wont booking it anymore

• 1st Jan 2016
  • China

It was a very good hostel, nice and friendly staff. It was cozy and clean.

The hostel is nice, but internet is too slow... People can not cook their own food or bring food from outside what I think should change, although the restaurant is really nice, the visitor should have the option to be able to enjoy the nice common areas with their own food!

The staff was generally very rude to us. Their policy to keep guests out of the lobby area after 11pm was ridiculous in itself, however on new year's eve it was a bit shocking.. They also kind of force you to check out on time by deactivating your card to the room 30mins earlier than the given checkout time. Not exactly a place I would recommend. Don't know how it became the best hostel. There's also no common area, no kitchen to cook, but you wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway..

• 28th Dec 2015
  • Hungary

this time the internet didn't work well - that's a big minus for me!

Rock&Wood is a great hostel. This was my second stay here and I loved it.

Wonderful hostel in the outskirts of Shanghai. 5 mins walk to metro and another 10 mins to reach city center. Great atmosphere and very worth the low cost

• 26th Dec 2015
  • Israel

Good hostel to stay in Shanghai

Recommended book it !

This is a great place to stay for the money. They have a good location close to the subway and nice facilities. Its a little tucked away but once you get there its beautiful inside. My husband does not normally stay at hostels but this is one he has been to twice now!

• 19th Dec 2015

Rock and Wood had a great staff and a very nice room for me!

I loved the atmosphere, the staff was also very helpful and nice. I did not, however, enjoy the food. i tried two dishes, one western and one Chinese and they were both quite bad. The prices charged for the food are at least the same if not more charged at real restaurants, therefore I feel that their overall quality and taste, especially of Chinese dishes, should be comparable.

• 11th Dec 2015