Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Best hostel I've EVER stayed in. Can't recommend it high enough!!

• 5th Feb 2014
  • South Africa

Great, fun, clean, hostel. Dorm rooms are nice, and the Private rooms are just as good as any hotel!!! Great wifi, great access to the subway, and good breakfast.

Very friendly staff the hostel is minutes walk from the train line that can take you almost anywhere you require. We would return

Stayed in a private room. Arrived at 4:00pm. Our room was still dirty from the previous occupants. We then had to wait over an hour for our room to be cleaned. It would have been nice if we were offered a free drink while we wasted our time, but no, in fact we weren't even given an apology. Aside from this annoyance the place is ok. It is relatively clean and quiet. The location is a bit out of the way, but it is close to a line 2 stop. Would only stay here again if there were no other options.

• 3rd Feb 2014

Hi dear customer, first of all, we are sincerely apologize for what happened to you, we had a lot of rooms check out on the day you arrive, and we did your room clean late it was true, and sorry for that we didn't consider how you feft, and thanks for letting us improve our service. Sorry for late reply. ---- R&W Team

-Very nice staff -Good location

Many thanks for your review. :-)

1.Capacious lobby as a bar always with enjoyable jazz,rock and roll. 2.Stylish yard with baboos, artificial spring flows gentlely to a small pool. 3.Chinese food and western food,many kinds of alcohol and soft beverage. 4.Nice staffs and warm atmosfere,and you can always see smile faces and hear sounds of pleasant laugh. Recent years, I have lived in more than 10 or 15 hostels in China,Japan,and Thailand,I evaluate Rock and Wood as the best of all of the hostels of I have lived.

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • China

Many thanks!!!!

I like it very much!

We are glad to hear that. :-) Please visit here again when you are in Shanghai next time.

I loved staying here. Although I had a private room, I always had someone to talk to because the common area is a great place to meet people. The rooms remind me a little of summer camp, but everything is clean and works well. The bar has cheap beer and decent food. Although this is not right in the middle of the city, it is easily reachable by subway and the French Concession is within walking distance and/or the bus. This is a solid, chill hostel that I will definitely staying at again!

Thanks for your comment, we wish you have a better experience here when you visit us again. :-) Cheers!

Very enjoyable stay, many thanks, will certainly recommend! WiFi was a bit patchy at times but worked well overall.

Thank you very much for sure, we will continue to strive to do better

The hostel is very organized and very well decorated, though the bar prices are really high for China standards. All the staff has a very well english level and they were all very helpful. We missed the usual city info with giveaway maps and folders but they managed to make it up to it by recomending an awesome chinese restaurant in the surroundings. The thing is though, if you are arriving with heavy luggage be advised that they don't have a lift and that you might get a room at the 4th floor.

this hostel is definitely best hostel, ever i've visited in china. even though, it is not located downtown it's still close and easy to go to many places. staff were really friendly and useful and they spoke english very well. they have nice rooms and you can enjoy hot showers anytime, and the garden and common area is ideal place to relax.

Great place to stay, location is a little bit of a walk from the nearest metro but not too far. Declan was a great help and helped us to sort out all of our train tickets around China, which saved us a huge amount of time and hassle. Restaurant does good food and cheap happy hour drinks.

The staff was standard. The location was perfect distance from metro-station, feels like a suburban area but its close distance (5-7 mins) to the metrolines 3,4 which easily connects to 2 and 10. 2 and 10 brings you to all of the city's attractions. The rooms were clean enough, but the best part of the hostel is the lobby, bar and open hangout spots. I was there the first of January, and it was busy enough but I think warmer months would be perfect as they have nice outdoor space.

In short, I had a fantastic stay there. Very clean beds, rooms and bathroom and toilet facilities; value-for-money, friendly and accommodating staff who can speak good English, warm even in winter, very social atmosphere, excellent ambience and lighting. I would absolutely stay there again next time I'm in Shanghai. Location isn't excellent, a bit hard to find the first time, but it's near ZhongShan Station on Metro Lines 2,3 and 4.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Singapore

たしかにお洒落な外観です。 場所がわかりにくいのと、通路 部屋が暗い シャワーはぬるいので初日以外は外にお風呂入りに行きました。 夏場ならいいでしょう。

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Japan

Nice interior & exterior, cozy common area with musics from the bar. Staffs are friendly & I had a quiet new eve ever during my stay :)

The public area is beautiful, shower water not hot enough but still acceptable. But the area under bed is really dusty and dirty, mold on the wall

Thank you very much for your precious opinions, we will correct the deficiencies before, as the hot water problem is very sorry. That's because the water heater is something wrong, We have repairs completed. Look forward to your next stay!

very good staff hier and very helpful,perfect service !!!

• 29th Dec 2013
  • China

Thank you, we will do better!!!

We were two girls sharing a double bed room. And our room only had a glass door to the bath room. That might be nice for couples, but we would have appreciated more privacy while sitting on the toilet :) And there was no hand soap provided. We sincerely hope the hostel owner does know that we like to wash our hands with soap after going to the toilet!

• 27th Dec 2013