Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Please clean the mold!

It is a little remove from the main tourist strip, which is nice, because it is a bit of an escape from the hustle of that area. Its a great base camp to go out and explore the city. I thought the rooms were very clean and had aircon. The main floor is also a great space with a bar (food and drink), pool table and nice courtyard. I would highly recommend this hostel. Everything in Shanghai is only a subway ride away, and a cheap cab ride back, if its late, so dont let the location fool you.

Perfect stay, as always! Loved the Deluxe rooms, so nice! Best place ever, enjoyed every visit so far! See you next time!

Really good hostel, love the facilities. Good and clean rooms, nice beds! Showers and toilets were good.

Good Location near Zhongshan Park, just a small walk (10 min) away from the subway. I liked the quite surrounding and unobtrusive staff. I stayed in a Pvt basic room with no windows. Decent for a sleep after a long day away with clean bathroom, towel supplies but no toiletries. Staff was cordial and cooperative and helped me to book my tickets Con: Pvt room a bit expensive as I could have got a decent hotel at the same price. But location close to line 2 was an advantage.

I took a double-bed room with a friend and it was quite comfortable. We found the location to be ideal as all placea were close by taxi. There are many stores and restauranta close by that are open all night. The downside is that the closest metro station Zongshan park is at least 15 monutes walk and that they change the sheets and clean the room only once in four days. This is not good when you consider that the price we paid for the double-bed room was the same as some budget hotels there.

Ah it's all good as normal hostel.

• 30th May 2014
  • China

Lovely hostel. Staff were polite and friendly and they even let me borrow a guide book during my stay, The only thing that was messy was the other people in my room (making it hard for the cleaners to work out who the mess belongs to!). Other than that I would recommend this place 100%!

The hostel was nice and had comfortable bedding. The showers were not clean. They could do a better job cleaning the showers. Easily I would suggest soap when cleaning the floors.

• 28th May 2014

Quite difficult to find the hostel - taxi drivers often don't know where the road is and the building is not easy to be seen, especially when arriving during the night. Anyway, that was the only bad thing: the hostel itself is great and the staff is always helpful!

Nice and comfy place next to the lake. The beer is a bit expensive, and the food could have been better, but all in all a place to be recommended

There were a couple of dogs wandering around the hostel, possibly belonging to owner or manager. I am not a dog person and mildly allergic to dog hair so this was quite uncomfortable for me on occasion.

Nice hostel - great common areas and helpful staff. I found the facilities to be very clean. However, location is a little out of the way of the main sites, not unmanageable but just a little far.

• 23rd May 2014

The hostel should at least let people eat outside food in the dining area. There's no kitchen, and the staff was not very polite/accommodating. I'm surprised this is so highly rated.

Dear customer, I understand your feeling, and I wish you could understand why we have to do this. First of all, I appoligize if one of us was not very polite to you. Secondly please allow me to explain why we have to do this. We do not have public kitchen, but we have a bar that you can oder food, the kitchen has opening time like the other restaurants, like the other reastaurants we pay lots of money to rent this place. You could have your outside food not in the bar but anywhere in hostel. :-)

There on a weekend so there were lots of people, which made for a good experience. It also has a really good common area to hang out but it's not open terribly late. Clean bathrooms and good rooms. Not too far from the metro and lively streets.

Of 8 Chinese hostels, this one in Shanghai has been my best. Front desk staff - always more than 1 - are fluent in English and very responsive. Location is on top of 3 different metro lines. A goldfish pool and flower garden set the tone outside; lounge areas are attractive and busy inside. Beds are comfortable, with top sheets large enough to actually tuck in. Towels are changed daily, rooms are kept very clean. Internet access was constant and unbroken. Great in every respect.

Thank you very much! Hope to see you again! James^^

Beautiful and laid back hostel with a very nice common area. It's a bit out of the way of the sights, but it's worth it to come back to a place like this after a hard day's sight seeing. And the metro is close enough.

The hostel i easy to find and located not far from the metro. Derm beds are soft and clean and airco works fine. Good public area with pool table and overpriced food cafe and bar. Staf very friendly and helpful.

Nice quite place!

This place is very clean and according to one of my roommate, it is one of the cleanest that she has stayed in. The whole place is quiet and peaceful and the breakfast was awesome! Will want to stay here again!!

• 13th May 2014