Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Very nice hostel. Very calm and chill place. I messed up my reservation and they let me sleep on the couch a night till my room opened up very nice and helpful staff.

A huge hostel with large cafe and bar, good place to socialise if there are the right people there. Goof facilities and nice clean rooms with good air con! Easy to get to and staff were helpful!

I really enjoyed my stay here. Good location with the Metro and lots of shops nearby. A really nice bar area where they even screened a film one of the nights I stayed. The price was great and I met some cool people. The WiFi was a little slow though, people had lots of food in my dorm so there were some fruit flies and toilet paper was kept outside the toilets which was inconvenient. Apart from these small things, everything was great and I would recommend staying here.

Second time I've stayed there, a great hostel; comfortable beds, good atmosphere, near to metro, and staff are helpful and keep the place clean.

Rooms are clean, staff does speak english but very bad communication concerning the payment. Apparently you had to pay on the second day (which wasn't communicated). As a result we came back at the hostel (at 4am after a good night out; fun local bars) and we couldn't enter our room. The person at the reception desk didn't want to let us in at first and asked to claim our passports. After calling his manager (at 4:30 am....) he finally opened our room. Not a pleasant way to end our night.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • Belgium

Had a fantastic stay in a Double Bed room at Rock & Wood. Everything was clean and tidy. Made my stay in Shanghai very pleasant. Staff were very helpful with an early check in too. Thanks!

Great hostel with a relaxed and tranquil atmosphere. Plenty of room is available. The facilities are very good. The way they've organised the plant display and the fish pond beats it all. My only criticism is to get thicher or bigger pillows.

The was rock. AND wood. Wasseaayyyy

The location is central enough in Shanghai though there's a 10-min walk from the underground lines 2, 3 and 4. There's a street of restaurants after a 15-min walk. Inside the hostel, there's a cosy common room with a pool table and bar. No kitchen but a refegerator is available. The staff was helpful though not very friendly. The hostel was in general very clean and comfortable. I would recommend this hostel.

There's a 10-minutes walk from the underground station to the hostel. The common room and bar were very cosy. The room was clean and spacious. The staff was helpful and efficient though not very friendly.

Really nice common area, the burger is good but that's about it. Stick to beers, cocktails were not very good. Wifi in the lobby never worked for me, staff was unhelpful too. I had a corner room and the wifi signal was very weak, mostly no service in the room. Room was clean but they don't sweep or dust. They replace towels and toilet paper everyday. Location is awful, smelled like a cess pool with feces and trash hanging along the street. Location is far from the big attractions.

This was a wonderful stay with excellent staff and friendly guests. There is no elevator here so one of the staff members offered to bring my 50lb luggage up 4 flights of stairs. I presume most guests at the hotel travel much lighter than I. The only negative thing I have to say about this hostel is that their internet upstairs isn't the greatest, but the connection on the first floor solves that.

• 24th Jun 2015

Pros: front garden, comfy beds, big lockers, cafe Cons: slow internet, dogs in common areas, no chair for computers

Really enjoyed my stay at Rock & Wood - it has a really nice atmosphere. As it's quite a new hostel, everything feels really fresh & bright. Really like the extra wide dorm beds! The communal areas feel super friendly & pleasant for socialising or recuperating. Helpful staff. The only problem I found was the wifi speed, which wasn't great. The location is convieniemt to get to other parts of the city but not any area you'd necessarily hang out in.

The staff was professional and the facilities are nice.

This place is great I have been there many times and it's always good. The environment and facilities are excellent, it's a rare place that actually looks better in person than the pictures. The staff are friendly too

It's this kind of hostels that put 90% of their investment in the living room/reception/cafe for a wow feeling when you get in and then you realize the rooms don't match that feeling. I was there 6 days and they never came in once to clean the floor which build up more hair, dust and trash from people who checked out. If you're looking for a cozy place to read/enjoy a meal a coffee and don't care so much about private/comfortable time in your room then this is perfect.

Very nice place with big rooms. Nice Bar/restaurant with good and reasonable priced food. Helpful staff. But still quite far to the subway. In comparison to other hostels I've been to in SH. Showers could be better. Sometimes really dirty although getting cleaned every day.

Great hostel. The common area is amazing, best I have seen in a hostel. Pool table, couches, huge wooden table, outside lounge area, bar that also serves food. The location is great, just a couple minutes from the metro Line 2, which is the only one you will need in Shanghai. Though be aware there is a school next to the hostel so you will hear the morning bells in your room. Highly recommend if you are just passing through or staying for a week.

This was already the third hostel I have been to in Shanghai. And I have to say it also was the best one even though the other two where also very good. It definitely has an excellent atmosphere with very nice furniture and a small garden downstairs. The breakfast is also very good and prices are fair.