Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

very good staff hier and very helpful,perfect service !!!

• 29th Dec 2013
  • China

Thank you, we will do better!!!

We were two girls sharing a double bed room. And our room only had a glass door to the bath room. That might be nice for couples, but we would have appreciated more privacy while sitting on the toilet :) And there was no hand soap provided. We sincerely hope the hostel owner does know that we like to wash our hands with soap after going to the toilet!

• 27th Dec 2013

위치는 중국어를 못한다면 찾기 힘든편입니다. 나머지는 전부 평균 이상이에요

There were no towels in room. Went down to collect myself, reception staff promised to send, but never did. Went down again after 1 hour and found that the staff who promised to send, had ended her shift and gone home.

Thank you for your comments regarding your questions, this is our work negligence, we're sorry, we guarantee that a similar situation will not happen again in the future. Looking forward to your next stay

the bed is clean and comfy, surprised to have rain bath shower the common area has good atmosphere PS1: if there's a TV in the room, it will be the best hostel in SH:P PS2: there's a short cut to the hostel - passing through the Kaiqiao Greenland (the park rite outside the MTR exit) to Zhaohua road, it takes only 5 mins to the hostel!

Thank you for your valuable advice, we will do better Look forward to your stay again!

Very good location, perfectly organized and in good conditions.

Thank you for your valuable evaluation, Look forward to your stay again!!!

Superb as always! Extra plus for your committed boss!

Thank you for your valuable evaluation, we will convey your compliment to our boss. Look forward to your stay again

One of the best hostels where I have been. Extremely recommend. Confort, and cleanliness are above than expected. Excellent.

• 17th Dec 2013

The hostel reception and common room were freezing during my stay in December. I think Rock&Wood hostel should invest in replacing the main doors and folding doors with doors that close properly and prevent the cold air coming in. I also believe Rock&Wood should invest in double glazed windows - this will be expensive but will save you money in the long term. The great atmosphere in the common room is ruined by the freezing temperature!

• 15th Dec 2013

It is my favorite place to stay in China, but the Internet is downright terrible. Don't go there if you need to be doing work while you play.

Stay there almost everytime when I'm in Shanghai - just love this place! Staff is very friendly and helpful, location is great, thank you for everything!

This hostel has the potential to be awesome but my guess is that they became stricter and in my opinion worse because they tried to change for a few lousy reviews on here. On our first night we started chatting with some other travellers so we all bought beers at the bar. 10 minutes later at 11:30 all the lights were turned off and we were left sitting there in the dark. They also lock you in/out and you can only get in by waking up a grumpy man who then starts whinging about you being out late

After all the good reviews I read, I was disappointed in the Rock and Wood hostel. The common area (outdoor garden and bar) was very nice, but the rest of the facilities were pretty run down and need a decent overhaul. Our double room with ensuite was OK, but just OK. The bathroom was nice, but the bedroom was just drab and had a depressing view over a some manufacturing facility. The location is pretty far from the center of things, though there are some good bars and restaurants nearby.

I really loved this hostel. Althought it was a bit far from the subway station and not really located in the city center, it's a beautiful place to stay. I liked the cleanliness and the atmosphere. Definitely the best hostel I have ever been.

The 1st day I arrived, i have to wipe the room. The table, cup tray and bed frames were dusty. The bath room has not been clean properly all these while, and the sink table is cover with mold at the edges. When I hang the "clean" tag at the door, I noticed they change only the bath tower. Everyday the sink is not clean because I can still see the too paste bubble stain remain on the sink ....

• 20th Nov 2013
  • Malaysia

It is a really peacefull palace. The common area is really nice and the rooms are comfortable. The food is nice too. Location is really good, being walking distance from two metro stations. The city is amazing and the hostel makes your stay even better.

• 19th Nov 2013
  • Colombia

lobby wifi up to 10mbps, in the rooms it can get slow and poor signal. New towels every day is nice and ensuite is clean. The twin bed room is huge while the basic double room is very small. Rooms are fairly dim too. Location is

Great hostel! I have lived in other hostels in shanghai, this one has been the best. The hostel has a good social atmosphere, events are organized regularly (every wednesday night is a movie night). The staffs here are very friendly and helpful, they working hard to make travelers's staying comfortable. The location is good with about 5 mins walk to metro station, and its about 3 stops to all the hot tourist spots. The rooms, bathrooms, lounges are cleaned very frequently. Thumbs up!

• 16th Nov 2013
  • China

The hostel was really nice and cosy. However there were a lot of people who lived at the hostel. Those people were friendly, but they have other intrests than people who travel. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just good to know

We found that breakfast was a little pricey and limited. Also the main lounge was cold in the mornings due to all the doors being open that time of year. Nice helpful staff and clean place/room .