Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, including their dog. The lounge was very cozy, because it provided many good books and comfy chairs. The drinks at the bar are reasonably priced as well. The dorms, washrooms and showers were very clean. The hostel is about a 10 minute walk from Line 2 which is convenient. There are a lot of little dumpling places and convenient stores located nearby as well.

The staff were great! Forgot my charger but they had me covered. tucked away in a quiet location. definitely gets my stamp of approval! ..a bit away from most of the sights... but still great!

It seems like Line 3 and Line 4 are closer to the hostel so it might be useful to add that to the directions.

This hostel doesn't really enforce its quiet hours. So do your best to not have a room near the communal bathrooms!

We recently spent two months traveling in China, and this was our favorite hostel. Beautiful, comfortable, great location, friendly staff. We felt relaxed and at ease there. The neighborhood was lovely, and we found it easy to get around. There's a fun coffee shop nearby (though the coffee at the hostel was also great).

Staff are super helpful! We found it a bit hard to locate as we got out of a different metro line exit. It is also a bit further away from main attractions but using the metro was great. Make sure you get a 24h metro pass it's much cheaper :)

• 17th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

A very nice place to stay for 1 or more nights!

Lovely location, close to subway and easy to find. Many restaurants in the neighborhood. Showers were good, good water pressure and hot water. Dorm room was spacious, large window, air con, private lockers, sturdy

Hostel was clean with comfortable beds and good facilities e.g. the bar and food service. Only let down for me was that the location wasn't particularly central but is close to the metro so you could access everywhere from there. Would definitely recommend to travelers and people who are working in Shanghai too

• 14th Jun 2014

Almost like a boutique hotel!

Please clean the mold!

It is a little remove from the main tourist strip, which is nice, because it is a bit of an escape from the hustle of that area. Its a great base camp to go out and explore the city. I thought the rooms were very clean and had aircon. The main floor is also a great space with a bar (food and drink), pool table and nice courtyard. I would highly recommend this hostel. Everything in Shanghai is only a subway ride away, and a cheap cab ride back, if its late, so dont let the location fool you.

Perfect stay, as always! Loved the Deluxe rooms, so nice! Best place ever, enjoyed every visit so far! See you next time!

Really good hostel, love the facilities. Good and clean rooms, nice beds! Showers and toilets were good.

Good Location near Zhongshan Park, just a small walk (10 min) away from the subway. I liked the quite surrounding and unobtrusive staff. I stayed in a Pvt basic room with no windows. Decent for a sleep after a long day away with clean bathroom, towel supplies but no toiletries. Staff was cordial and cooperative and helped me to book my tickets Con: Pvt room a bit expensive as I could have got a decent hotel at the same price. But location close to line 2 was an advantage.

I took a double-bed room with a friend and it was quite comfortable. We found the location to be ideal as all placea were close by taxi. There are many stores and restauranta close by that are open all night. The downside is that the closest metro station Zongshan park is at least 15 monutes walk and that they change the sheets and clean the room only once in four days. This is not good when you consider that the price we paid for the double-bed room was the same as some budget hotels there.

Ah it's all good as normal hostel.

• 30th May 2014
  • China

Lovely hostel. Staff were polite and friendly and they even let me borrow a guide book during my stay, The only thing that was messy was the other people in my room (making it hard for the cleaners to work out who the mess belongs to!). Other than that I would recommend this place 100%!

The hostel was nice and had comfortable bedding. The showers were not clean. They could do a better job cleaning the showers. Easily I would suggest soap when cleaning the floors.

• 28th May 2014

Quite difficult to find the hostel - taxi drivers often don't know where the road is and the building is not easy to be seen, especially when arriving during the night. Anyway, that was the only bad thing: the hostel itself is great and the staff is always helpful!