Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Nice hostel in a great neighborhood. Facilities are very clean and nice, but the atmosphere is always dead.

Due to flight delay, we arrive hostel at 3pm. We orignally mark the arrival time at 2pm. The staff of this hostel cancel our room and say because we are late and have not inform them before 2pm. First, how can we inform u before 2pm in the flight?!Second, we have made the deposit for booking.Why the staff can cancel my room just within one hour after the arrival time and without the premission.of customer? Dirty bed sheet. Have good experience 2years ago but this time I feel worst.

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Hong Kong

It was very quiet the week I was there so the atmosphere was non-existant. The breakfasts were average quality. However, the fruit museli and coffee was always good. As other people have stated the location is not the best but it really isn't that far to walk to one of the two nearby metro stations which will take you all over Shanghai. The hostel staff were friendly and helpful. Nice room, good internet and hot shower.

It's a nice enough hostel - not the best I've stayed at, but location is pretty good, got a good night's sleep and it is excellent value for money compared to the hostels my friends were staying at.

Very disappointed in the room. We walked in and left after 1 minute because the wall was falling apart due to water damage. There was black mold on the ceiling and it smelled VERY dank and wet. I've stayed her MANY times and have never had a room like that. The staff were not apologetic and seemed unfriendly. For the price the room was very unacceptable; my friend and I left without staying here and went to the Jin Jiang Inn around the corner for the same price with a much nicer room.

• 14th Nov 2015

I really liked it here. Good location, a short walk from subway line with many major sites along it. Above the subway is a vast shopping centre with loads of places to eat and a cinema. The common area is lovely. Good bar good breakfast, pool table, books etc excellent wifi. It is a large space and there can be a tendency for everyone to stare at their phones/computers rather that chatting! Showers are on the third floor, a bit of a pain but they were good ones.

Pros: Washing machine and dryer! Great atmosphere, lots of backpackers Cons: Dryer only works a few hours and no one told me, had wet cloths for days Location. pretty far from the bund.. about 20-30 mins by metro Staff not very informed about things to do

Location a little far away from the main attractions but at least the hostel is near a subway station. Private room on 4th floor is basic but adequate, clean and quiet. Great lobby area to hang out for meals and drinks.

It was great that the hostel was so flexible to change my booking so that I could stay 4 nights in the same room!

It was gret that it was possible to change my booking at the middle of the night when I arrived to stay in the same room for 4 nights!

Location is good, right next to the subway. Staff is nice and the atmosphere is alright. Good value for money. Will defo come again.

We had booked a double room to be more comfortable. Unfortunately, after three quiet nights, we changed to another double room that turned out to be the noisiest room we have stayed in. There was a constant loud booming and zooming of the house's water hot water boiler or air conditioning that was fixed to the other side of our bedroom's wall and it was not possible to turn the noise down. Even earplugs that we used did not help.

Honestly the staff could be a lot friendlier. Also, expect the to rent towels and buy a tourist map. Staff will be of zero to no help.

• 4th Nov 2015

Better customer service with your staff Clean, clean, clean, your facility better Upgrade you rooms/facilities (i.e. get stronger toilet, better hairdryers that are not a threat of fire) Just create an overall better experience for your customers, but start with the look first

• 3rd Nov 2015

I would say it was a solid and good hostel. The lobby area is cool and the rooms were clean. However I found the staff and atmosphere was not very conducive to making friends or helping set up tours and events. Location is a short subway ride away from the center of Shanghai. If you are looking for a clean place to sleep- this is your place. Also they burn quite a bit of incense and found the smell a little overwhelming.

Good atmosphere, I really like the bar and the jazz music during the nights.

One of the most beautiful places I've stayed, including fancy-pants hotels. The koi pond is particularly gorgeous.

Nice neighbourhood nearby with lots of eateries and convenient stores. However, its slightly out of the way to the main city area. Good backpacker hostel with a nice cafe and lobby to chill. For the amount of money paid, its definitely a good catch.

Very comfortable, very nice café and garden where you meet cool travellers, good neighbourhood, convenient ... everything was better than might be expected given the cheep price of the rooms

Nice place. I just wish that people working there were less moody and more helpful.