Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

2053 Total Reviews

I arrived late at night and could check in without any problems. Not the easiest place to find since it's located in a small alley, but the descriptions given at this site should be enough to get you here. About 10 minute walk to the nearest subway (line 3 and 4). Only negative comment is that when I was still sleeping the housekeeping came in my room (10am.) to clean the bed next to me.

I'm sorry to bring you bad experiences, we will correct the deficiencies before and look forward to your next time to stay!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! They took in an abandoned puppy in a box on their doorstep just a few days before I came, that warmed my heart! The staff is helpful and speaks English well. The 8-bed-dormitory I stayed in was comfy, I liked it there. A little cold in the lobby when I was there (early March) but otherwise a nice place to socialize (bar and pool table!). Free use of the computers in the lobby and long hot showers are provided as well. I'll definitely come back!

Staff were very very nice at the reception, but not so at the bar. Good location next to metro station, decent environment, large and clean room. Highly Recommend this.

I arrived at this hostel, not sure what to expect. But I followed the directions they gave me straight from the airport, and it was so easy. The whole time I was there, I had so much fun and I met so many new friends! I was travelling alone, and from the minute i walked into the hostel, I made friends in the amazing big communal bar and had friends to sightsee with in the day and drink the night away with. The hostel has such a good social atmosphere, and I really couldn't fault them at all! :)

• 25th Feb 2015

Great overall!

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Norway

Amzing, nice place, nice food and good atmosphere...!!! Will book it again!!!

I booked the twin ensuite during the Chinese New Year. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Many non-Chinese speaking guests in the hostel. It's about 5-10 minutes' easy walk from Metro Station. Or 10-15 minutes' easy walk from another Metro Station with a shopping mall (a Carrefour and lots of eatery in it). I loved the small eatery just around the corner behind the hostel.

Pros: cozy common areas, comfortable beds, great roommates, cute pets, inexpensive meals, separate toilet and shower stalls with locking doors and hooks for clothes, speedy solutions to problems when manager is present. Cons: floors that smell dirty when mopped, doors and windows left open in winter, unfriendly neighborhood merchants, temperamental Internet connections, mostly slow funeral-like music, a few apathetic or argumentative employees, poor customer service when manager is absent.

The atmosphere in the hostel was great, the common area really allowed people to meet and chat to each other. There was wifi throughout the hostel but unfortunately I couldn't connect to the lobby wifi, for some reason it just wouldn't work for me, the upstairs wifi did though so it didn't matter too much about the lobby wifi. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the security was good, including key card entry to the dorm rooms and doorbell entrance into the hostel during the night time.

• 22nd Feb 2015

Good hostel 5 minutes walk from Line 2, so easy to get anywhere. Nice rooms and bathrooms. Recommended!

This is definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at everything was just perfect...really convenient location the atmosphere at night is chill and friendly, nice decoration and the most important part everything was cleas, also the staff was really helpful with info about huangshan...I will definitely stay here again the next time I go back to Shanghai

The hostel is a little to hip for me. I like quiet hostels in convenient locations and this one seems to have a lively social atmosphere which is not conducive to sleep. It's also a bit far from the nearest metro if you are carrying more than a single bag. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean and secure.

Not as centrally located as some hostels, but makes up for it with very good service, friendly staff speaking excellent English, and a great social area. Would stay again.

Best hostel I've stayed in.

A little far from the Metro station, but otherwise in a really nice location. Wish it had an elevator. After two weeks of traveling, I didn't like taking the stairs to the fourth floor. I enjoyed ny stay. The pool table and bar area were very open and clean. Nice place.

Very good atmosphere: free pool, a lot of people around every day and night. The hostel is clean and tidy. The staff is nice. The worst things is maybe the location: not easy to find the first time and even Shanghai taxi are in trouble to find it.

This hostel is the best value for money I know in Shanghai. Stayed here several times already. Staff is very nice, place spacious and clean. The dorms and double rooms are really good value, the single room I stayed in not quite, but apart from that ...

The location near subway line 2 allows you to get to most locations whether it be the bund, areas in the French concession or the Chinese old town pretty easily. If you don't like strolling around the old concessions or will only be frequenting the bund on your trip, then perhaps a hostel nearer the river would be for you. Some of the rooms in the hostel are on the small side, but the hostel partly makes up for this with a spacious lobby and clean and well-maintained washrooms and bathrooms.

The guy responsible for the door in the early morning was nice and patient. The glass door at the stair entrance can be very dangerous. No bathroom in 8-bed dorms. The location looks a bit scary at night.

Such a great hostel to stay at. Felt more like a hotel than a hostel. Beds were comfy, always hot water available and always a free shower, common area/bar was a great set up and really cheap food and drinks, staff were really helpful and convenience stores were close by. They even threw a dumpling party for the Chinese New Year. Really fun! The location wasn't central but it was between two metro stations and connected to lines 2, 3 and 4 so it was super easy. Thanks for the great stay guys!!