Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Always friendly, and comfortable

Good Hostel, although the staff werent as friendly and useful as they could be. Really everything was great, however I have to leave a negative rating as they tried to make me buy the free maps, I pointed out that it says "free"!.

I think that there may be a misunderstanding,our free maps to borrow, need to be returned after use. but not for sell...

The hostel is nestled in a nice neighbourhood where you can easily access to food, shops, banks & 2 metro stations. The garden is lovely & the lounge is cozy! In one month, I stayed in this hostel twice, each time 6 days. May i suggest the owner that let the dormitory guests make their own bed. This do-it-yourself system is applied in Mingtown hostels for safety in Shanghai now. It's dangerous for 2 cleaners to do the bed-making for so many upper beds in the Dorm. Thank you for the kindness.

I really enjoy being in the hostel and I have no words for the staff working there. I would definitely come again in this hostel.

The hostel located in the old street. Staff is nice, environment is good.

First time staying in a hostel! If they are all like this- don't need posh hotels! Apart from the walls of our room being mouldy- everything else was excellent. Bathrooms spotless and looked new, bed comfortable. Bar and communal areas great . Ideal for the large group we were travelling in. Lovely garden area altohugh weather didn't provide us with a chance to use it. Beers cheap- good eating places all around the hostel. Staff v helpful. What more can you ask for?

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

We stayed three nights in a standard double. It was a nice room but small with no windows. Very nice shower and toilet! Staff was superfriendly and helps you with the things you need. Nice restaurant area to hang out in. There is a lot of street food nearby and the metro is not far away. It was nice to see another part of Shanghai than the city center.

The staff at the reception was very nice and welcoming and it was very pleasant to have someone speak English so well considering how difficult it is to speak Chinese when you're a foreigner. The only bad thing I guess would be that we were in a private room just across the washroom and we heard all the noises so we couldn't sleep so well.

• 15th Apr 2014

Thank you for your affirmation of our front desk staff, we will continue to work hard, as your recommendations and we will consider, hope to get improved

The hostel was great, the sleeping arrangements are pretty much the same for all places but the downstairs lobby space was great for working and I suspect when it's busier it's good for social aspects. The location is good too, not too far from metro and shops nearby. One of my favourite hostels in Shanghai and I've stayed in a few

• 14th Apr 2014

Thank you very much for your review, we wish everyone enjoy their stay here like you you had. Welcome to here anytime! :-)

This hostel was exactly what we were looking for: convenient to metro lines, with a relaxed and mellow lounge / restaurant / bar, and with excellent-value clean and utilitarian private rooms. The staff were always available and friendly. There was no noisy, "party-vibe" of younger, back-packer type guests, so if you're looking for that, you may want to go elsewhere.

I really enjoyed the stay at Rock & Wood. This was my first time at a hostel and didn't know what to expect exactly. The reviews were helpful to make my decision. I thought the food was decent and convenient for sure. The bar was nice to and cappuccino in the morning definitely a plus. Room was clean. The internet was not good in my room, but in the lobby it was perfect. The lobby was also comfortable, and met people from all over the world, and the staff was very helpful.

• 12th Apr 2014

I loved the luxury of the private room!! Very good value for my money!

Thanks, see you next time!!

The hostel was very nice and clean. The people that worked there helped us with everything we needed including booking the the train tickets for other places, that was super useful. The food at the restaurant was good but personally I enjoy more the real chines food that people sell in the street than the one at the hostel. The breakfast was good western food. The only thing that we did not enjoy was some noise at nights inside the hostel. but besides that, great place to stay.

Comfy beds, big rooms, great showers and bathrooms, nice lounge area. Wifi usually works decently, though it's slower than western China. The long termers are the best part of the hostel, I think. They're eager to talk with English speakers and share and learn and teach, and make staying in the hostel much more enjoyable. Staff is helpful, though some speak less English than others. There's a wonderful, cheap little Chinese food buffet if you turn right, then right, the fifth store, open often.

The Hostel ist Really the nicest One i've ever been to! It's not in the center of Shanghai but near a good metro Station. And the Hostel itself is really nice with a great courtyard, Lounge, very helpfull staff! We had the private Rom which was totally cool with a Big bathroom, rainshower and a little private terrace in Front of our door. I loved to Stay there and Would recommend it to everyone who wants to come to Shanghai! Its in a Little, quiet street with some chinese Marktes nearby.

Nice place, beautiful garden. We recommend that place. Thank you!

Quiet hostel with a nice relaxing outdoor area. Easy to get there, although located a bit out of the way. 4-bed dorm room was on the small side, but it didn't feel too cramped. Mattress was firm and comfortable.

Definitely my favorite place to stay in my trip in China. Ended up rearranging my schedule so that I could end up coming back here. Clean, organized, cozy common room (if a bit cold), fun and amazingly helpful staff, one of whom even went with me on his break to help me buy new glasses when mine broke. They should export the staff to give training in other hostels. Keep up the good work guys, and thanks for such a nice experience!

Have stayed at Rock&Wood two times now and couldn't be more satisfied. Though a bit smelly where the toilets are.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Great breakfast, good value for money. Beautiful lobby/lounge area. Loved the dogs. Nice rooms.