Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Nice hostel. Beautiful location. But it was sad that there was no atmosphere. Everybody was just busy with its notebooks and it was hard to make contacts. For lonely travellers it is maybe not the best place to meet people. We were wondering about and found no answer about the 'why?!'. But the rooms were nice, we had a deluxe room, which was clean and beautiful.

Two bed rooms didn't have a window and the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly everyday. Soap would help a lot to clean the shower. We even got a used towel as a "fresh" one. But the staff was always friendly and changed them. The food is not the best but it is eatable and the hostel is very easy to find (10 minutes walk from the subway)if you follow the instructions to get there on hostelworld. Nevertheless I found it quite far away from the central city, that is why I wouldn't go there again.

The staff was extremely cool and extremely helpful. I left my room key at a travel agency and one of the staff went to pick it up for me so i didnt have to pay the deposit. Hostel is super chill and relaxing.Its nice to come in from the city and leave to somewhere quiet. Definitely would stay here again.

Had a great stay there, nice Hostel :-)

Nice place. a little hard to find. All in all a great value for the cost.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • EvanH

The hostel does not have an elevator, but everything else was good :)

The best hostel I've stayed at in China. It has a very relaxed atomsphere and very helpful english-speaking staff!

Staff had a "i don't care" attitude at times, but overall pretty good service. Everything else was killer

• 3rd Sep 2014

One of my favorite hostels in Shanghai... I only wish it had a elevator and was closer to the subway.

The hostel itself was good, great room with ensuite, staff mostly spoke English, one guy wasn't too helpful when we asked about what was available in the local area, but we were able to borrow a map and city guide. The hostel at the time of our stay was 98% French students who pretty much refused to speak English so it wasn't a great atmosphere but that's not obviously the hostels fault.

you must consider a better comon areas, or use a part of the bar, to stay open as a common area

Very very nice place, very pretty and clean. There is a wooden terrace with water passing by, a big patio in which they show movies on a projector at night (not sure it is every night, but I saw it a couple times). Single rooms are really big for 220RMB (25€) per night, and staff speaks good English. Very good atmosphere, I definitely recommend the place. Only point for tourists: the location isn't very very central, but it's close enough to all the places you will want to go I think.

• 27th Aug 2014

Staff were not that outgoing but helpful when needed and spoke English well enough. Nice big common room/bar. It should be a good place to meet other travellers although there werenot manyfriendlypeople there while I was. The location is quite abit away from the centre although it is only a 5 min walk to the metro station.

Nice atmoshpere and welcoming lobby: pool table, sofas, books... Rooms are well maintained. Possibility to get western food for a smooth transition ;)

good location about 7min walk to subway. excellent facilities. very nice bar at ground floor. the best hostel in SH I've ever seen. definitely will come again when I travel to SH. thanks for the staff.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • China

Good hostel in general but the WIFI don't worked well.

This hostel was great value for money! The facilities are excellent, and it is very clean. The communal area is big and stylish, and has a chilled out vibe. As a solo traveller I did manage to meet and make friends with a few people, but it wasn't super easy (possibly because the communal area is so big, so people tend to spread out). However, the pool table is a nice feature next to the bar. Great street food near by! And also had a pretty decent and cheap massage (not dodgy) near by also!

A bit far from the city center, but you can reach it easy with the subway (10min by foot) the staff is so nice, I had a really great time there. The cool were the locker, big enough to put your backpack !! Sosafe

Great hostel experience at Rock and Wood! The common area is conducive to meeting and chatting with fellow travelers.

Convenient, clean and efficient, with friendly staff (we had a private room, so I cannot comment on the communal facilities). I would stay there again.

• 14th Aug 2014