Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

There were a couple of dogs wandering around the hostel, possibly belonging to owner or manager. I am not a dog person and mildly allergic to dog hair so this was quite uncomfortable for me on occasion.

Nice hostel - great common areas and helpful staff. I found the facilities to be very clean. However, location is a little out of the way of the main sites, not unmanageable but just a little far.

• 23rd May 2014

The hostel should at least let people eat outside food in the dining area. There's no kitchen, and the staff was not very polite/accommodating. I'm surprised this is so highly rated.

Dear customer, I understand your feeling, and I wish you could understand why we have to do this. First of all, I appoligize if one of us was not very polite to you. Secondly please allow me to explain why we have to do this. We do not have public kitchen, but we have a bar that you can oder food, the kitchen has opening time like the other restaurants, like the other reastaurants we pay lots of money to rent this place. You could have your outside food not in the bar but anywhere in hostel. :-)

There on a weekend so there were lots of people, which made for a good experience. It also has a really good common area to hang out but it's not open terribly late. Clean bathrooms and good rooms. Not too far from the metro and lively streets.

Of 8 Chinese hostels, this one in Shanghai has been my best. Front desk staff - always more than 1 - are fluent in English and very responsive. Location is on top of 3 different metro lines. A goldfish pool and flower garden set the tone outside; lounge areas are attractive and busy inside. Beds are comfortable, with top sheets large enough to actually tuck in. Towels are changed daily, rooms are kept very clean. Internet access was constant and unbroken. Great in every respect.

Thank you very much! Hope to see you again! James^^

Beautiful and laid back hostel with a very nice common area. It's a bit out of the way of the sights, but it's worth it to come back to a place like this after a hard day's sight seeing. And the metro is close enough.

The hostel i easy to find and located not far from the metro. Derm beds are soft and clean and airco works fine. Good public area with pool table and overpriced food cafe and bar. Staf very friendly and helpful.

Nice quite place!

This place is very clean and according to one of my roommate, it is one of the cleanest that she has stayed in. The whole place is quiet and peaceful and the breakfast was awesome! Will want to stay here again!!

• 13th May 2014
  • Singapore

Anoying with lobby wifi need to login each time I was there.

I only stayed here for one night. The hostel was pretty average but I moved because it was so quiet. I am not looking for a party atmospher but, really, the place was like a library. So, if you are looking for a quiet place removed from the noise of Shanghai, this is your place. If, however, you want to be a bit closer to the city center, you should look elsewhere.

great staff - very helpful - great english the bar is wonderful - cheap beers - good atmosphere beautiful music in the day time great outdoor seating area with water feature - very relaxing cute dogs and cat a little far out from the bund good security at night time food looks good lovely coffees liked movie night good pool table grreat seating area - chilled relaxed lighting comphy beds good lockers thanks

Excellent hostel, cozy and charming. It may seem far from downtown, but as it is very close to two metro stations (3 different lines, including line 2) it is no problem for visits. Friendly english-speaking staff. Beautiful common room opening onto a small garden. Recent equipment and powerful wifi everywhere. Room (standard level, with private bathroom) very clean and air conditioned : our stay for 5 days was perfect ! Unbeatable value for money.

• 30th Apr 2014

Thanks for tell us so good, we will get better!!! Hope to see you again!

The location is quiet nice, the hefangjie, the westlake and even the tea mountains are in walking- or 10-minutes by bus driving distance. You also have a school and a kindergarden next door, so be prepared for some unique experience :) Food is okay, they try their best

It's okay :)

very good room for a couple.

Always friendly, and comfortable

Good Hostel, although the staff werent as friendly and useful as they could be. Really everything was great, however I have to leave a negative rating as they tried to make me buy the free maps, I pointed out that it says "free"!.

I think that there may be a misunderstanding,our free maps to borrow, need to be returned after use. but not for sell...

The hostel is nestled in a nice neighbourhood where you can easily access to food, shops, banks & 2 metro stations. The garden is lovely & the lounge is cozy! In one month, I stayed in this hostel twice, each time 6 days. May i suggest the owner that let the dormitory guests make their own bed. This do-it-yourself system is applied in Mingtown hostels for safety in Shanghai now. It's dangerous for 2 cleaners to do the bed-making for so many upper beds in the Dorm. Thank you for the kindness.

I really enjoy being in the hostel and I have no words for the staff working there. I would definitely come again in this hostel.