Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

2058 Total Reviews

The location near subway line 2 allows you to get to most locations whether it be the bund, areas in the French concession or the Chinese old town pretty easily. If you don't like strolling around the old concessions or will only be frequenting the bund on your trip, then perhaps a hostel nearer the river would be for you. Some of the rooms in the hostel are on the small side, but the hostel partly makes up for this with a spacious lobby and clean and well-maintained washrooms and bathrooms.

The guy responsible for the door in the early morning was nice and patient. The glass door at the stair entrance can be very dangerous. No bathroom in 8-bed dorms. The location looks a bit scary at night.

Such a great hostel to stay at. Felt more like a hotel than a hostel. Beds were comfy, always hot water available and always a free shower, common area/bar was a great set up and really cheap food and drinks, staff were really helpful and convenience stores were close by. They even threw a dumpling party for the Chinese New Year. Really fun! The location wasn't central but it was between two metro stations and connected to lines 2, 3 and 4 so it was super easy. Thanks for the great stay guys!!

cosy and good

• 15th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

What a lovely place! I really enjoyed staying here. Considering the cost, this hostel is so nice. Staffs are very friendly and helpful.

Great cleanliness for the most part...one or two bathrooms were a bit stinky (maybe because of piping). Cafe downstairs has great espresso. Nice to have a location that isn't too busy. Downstairs lounge is beautiful. Lights in bathrooms and showers could have been brighter, and shower stalls need more ventilation. Great to have lockers and personal bed lights for each guest.

Staff was okay but location is a tiny bit far from the metro.

This is the best hostel I have been in china, thanks all!

• 8th Feb 2015
  • Argentina

Very good hostel, friendly staffs,spacious shower room,every thing is fine just a bit far from the metro.the owner has a dog sometimes barks very loud.

15 min walking from the metro and awesome bar on the ground floor. Private lockers in the rooms. 5 min from a bank that's exchanges currency.

Internet is not very fast

I had booked a four-bed room but they put me in a six-bed room. I had booked way in advance so at the time I thought it strange but didn't give it much thought. If I had, I would have complain because it's not fair and I should have gotten a price reduction or the right type of room!!

There are lots of foreigners and the lobby is comfortable. The staff are cold sometimes. Maybe I will choose it next time,

• 6th Feb 2015
  • China

In my experience, staying in three hostels in Shanghai during he past year, this is the best one in the city, and about as good as they get in any city, anywhere in the world, and at 71, hostelling since I was 23 in too many countries to count, I should know. My only ding was to facilities because the great common area/bar/cafe area is too cold and drafty in the wintertime. I understand from both local westerners and Chinese, this is the budget lodging they recommend to friends and contacts.

• 3rd Feb 2015

A very nice and well equipped hostel including key card entry to rooms, lockers and a terrific lobby/bar/common area. Note that location wise it is about 1-1.5 hrs away from the Pudong airport by metro. That aside it is within 10 minutes walk of a major metro station hub and plenty of nice areas, restaurants and coffee shops are in walking distance.

• 2nd Feb 2015

Sound insulator should be added between rooms, can hear every single word the neighbours are talking abt

The Hostel is very nice, it's well located (just a 7 minute walk to a main metro line. Staff is very kind and helpful (shout out to Amy and Mr. "Very Man"!) Our only problem was that we arrived 2 hours later than what we had put down on our reservation, and they cancelled it. Thankfully, they gave us a private room for that night, although we had to negotiate for a bit to get the same price we had before.

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Argentina

Perfect at the end of our trip when we needed a little more rest and comfort. The lounge and outdoor area is beautiful! Nice staff

This hostel is really beautiful and also really well priced. The common area has a great atmosphere and offers good food and drinks. It's close enough to the centre of town, but far enough to be peaceful and quiet. Highly recommended!

wifi could be faster could be warmer in the sitting area

• 25th Jan 2015