Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

Quiet hostel with a nice relaxing outdoor area. Easy to get there, although located a bit out of the way. 4-bed dorm room was on the small side, but it didn't feel too cramped. Mattress was firm and comfortable.

Definitely my favorite place to stay in my trip in China. Ended up rearranging my schedule so that I could end up coming back here. Clean, organized, cozy common room (if a bit cold), fun and amazingly helpful staff, one of whom even went with me on his break to help me buy new glasses when mine broke. They should export the staff to give training in other hostels. Keep up the good work guys, and thanks for such a nice experience!

Have stayed at Rock&Wood two times now and couldn't be more satisfied. Though a bit smelly where the toilets are.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Great breakfast, good value for money. Beautiful lobby/lounge area. Loved the dogs. Nice rooms.

I had a twin bed room for myself. It's ok for a few days. Don't expect that they have shampoo and shower gel for you. In those few days they didn't make up my room even once. You really have to ask for it. But I get clean towels everyday, that's more important to me. After 4 days they should have changed the blanket, but you really have to ask for it too.

• 2nd Apr 2014

All in all a really good hostel, welcoming when I arrived after a long flight and difficult journey from the airport. Very traditional feel, the location was also in an area that felt very authentic. It could be a little intimidating if you're on your own and maybe not too confident about travelling because the streets are not well lit at night and is a considerable (but actually quite interesting) walk from the most convenient metro station. Great street food nearby! So cheap and very quick too

• 28th Mar 2014

Thanks for like our hostel, we will do better and better!

Travellers must be prepared for the fact that this is not your regular 'youth hostel'. Most of its dorm room spaces have been sublet out to long-term stayers who are from the outer provinces looking for a job, or are currently working in Shanghai. As such DO NOT expect the youthful and dynamic culture expected of a youth hostel. It is almost like a factory dorm with minimal interaction. The only reason one should stay here is for the cost.

We are sorry for your inconvenience, we will pay attention to correct deficiencies prior to strive to do better! Looking forward to your next stay!!!

Great stay, as always! Very helpful staff, nice rooms, nice location, perfect atmosphere! Will definitely stay here again on my next weekend trip to SH! :-)

Thanks for like our hostel, we will be better and better.

Good, clean hostel, the second time I stayed here. Showers were under construction, so the new ones should be nice. Very nice sitting/lobby area when the weather is warm.

A bit more expensive, but one of the best hostels I've stayed at!

Thanks, hope to see you again!

Well, the location is not as good as the Mingtown one but the facilities are way better. Anyways, great place to stay.

Thanks, we will do better!!

Large hostel in a bit of a further-out neighbourhood in Shanghai. The lobby of the hostel is awesome: great recreation/bar area. Very modern. Definitely a bit of schlep to get to the major tourist sites of Shanghai, unfortunately.

We liked the area with good access to the metro. The staff were really helpful and the rooms nice and clean.

We had a pretty nice stay at the hostel. Though the walls were so thin it felt like there was a party inside your room. Waking up to this at 2am was not too fun and made it hard to get to sleep. The facilities were nice, the bathroom good, nice garden and bar. No soap in the bathroom which is kind of gross.

A fantastic hostel, great location, lovely rooms and really helpful staff

I had a lovely stay here and I thought the environment was great for travellers, tourists and even for business travellers. Staff member Crispy was always very happy and helpful.

• 2nd Mar 2014

Thanks! we will do better!!! Hope to see you next time!!!

Nice place to have tranquil life if you want to enjoy calm and comfortable tempo. The bar and communal room are also brilliant places! You can meet up many people there if you want. All female staff there is very helpful and friendly. Also, the cleanliness is brilliant!!!! Highly recommend this hostel!

Cool place

Loved this place. One if the first hostels in Shanghai that I was not freezing sitting in the common lounge. Super comfortable.

Thank you very much for your approval, we will do better!

Great hostel!

• 19th Feb 2014

Thanks, hope to see you next time!!!