Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

This place is very clean and according to one of my roommate, it is one of the cleanest that she has stayed in. The whole place is quiet and peaceful and the breakfast was awesome! Will want to stay here again!!

• 13th May 2014
  • Singapore

Anoying with lobby wifi need to login each time I was there.

I only stayed here for one night. The hostel was pretty average but I moved because it was so quiet. I am not looking for a party atmospher but, really, the place was like a library. So, if you are looking for a quiet place removed from the noise of Shanghai, this is your place. If, however, you want to be a bit closer to the city center, you should look elsewhere.

great staff - very helpful - great english the bar is wonderful - cheap beers - good atmosphere beautiful music in the day time great outdoor seating area with water feature - very relaxing cute dogs and cat a little far out from the bund good security at night time food looks good lovely coffees liked movie night good pool table grreat seating area - chilled relaxed lighting comphy beds good lockers thanks

Excellent hostel, cozy and charming. It may seem far from downtown, but as it is very close to two metro stations (3 different lines, including line 2) it is no problem for visits. Friendly english-speaking staff. Beautiful common room opening onto a small garden. Recent equipment and powerful wifi everywhere. Room (standard level, with private bathroom) very clean and air conditioned : our stay for 5 days was perfect ! Unbeatable value for money.

• 30th Apr 2014

Thanks for tell us so good, we will get better!!! Hope to see you again!

The location is quiet nice, the hefangjie, the westlake and even the tea mountains are in walking- or 10-minutes by bus driving distance. You also have a school and a kindergarden next door, so be prepared for some unique experience :) Food is okay, they try their best

It's okay :)

very good room for a couple.

Always friendly, and comfortable

Good Hostel, although the staff werent as friendly and useful as they could be. Really everything was great, however I have to leave a negative rating as they tried to make me buy the free maps, I pointed out that it says "free"!.

I think that there may be a misunderstanding,our free maps to borrow, need to be returned after use. but not for sell...

The hostel is nestled in a nice neighbourhood where you can easily access to food, shops, banks & 2 metro stations. The garden is lovely & the lounge is cozy! In one month, I stayed in this hostel twice, each time 6 days. May i suggest the owner that let the dormitory guests make their own bed. This do-it-yourself system is applied in Mingtown hostels for safety in Shanghai now. It's dangerous for 2 cleaners to do the bed-making for so many upper beds in the Dorm. Thank you for the kindness.

I really enjoy being in the hostel and I have no words for the staff working there. I would definitely come again in this hostel.

The hostel located in the old street. Staff is nice, environment is good.

First time staying in a hostel! If they are all like this- don't need posh hotels! Apart from the walls of our room being mouldy- everything else was excellent. Bathrooms spotless and looked new, bed comfortable. Bar and communal areas great . Ideal for the large group we were travelling in. Lovely garden area altohugh weather didn't provide us with a chance to use it. Beers cheap- good eating places all around the hostel. Staff v helpful. What more can you ask for?

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

We stayed three nights in a standard double. It was a nice room but small with no windows. Very nice shower and toilet! Staff was superfriendly and helps you with the things you need. Nice restaurant area to hang out in. There is a lot of street food nearby and the metro is not far away. It was nice to see another part of Shanghai than the city center.

The staff at the reception was very nice and welcoming and it was very pleasant to have someone speak English so well considering how difficult it is to speak Chinese when you're a foreigner. The only bad thing I guess would be that we were in a private room just across the washroom and we heard all the noises so we couldn't sleep so well.

• 15th Apr 2014

Thank you for your affirmation of our front desk staff, we will continue to work hard, as your recommendations and we will consider, hope to get improved

The hostel was great, the sleeping arrangements are pretty much the same for all places but the downstairs lobby space was great for working and I suspect when it's busier it's good for social aspects. The location is good too, not too far from metro and shops nearby. One of my favourite hostels in Shanghai and I've stayed in a few

• 14th Apr 2014

Thank you very much for your review, we wish everyone enjoy their stay here like you you had. Welcome to here anytime! :-)

This hostel was exactly what we were looking for: convenient to metro lines, with a relaxed and mellow lounge / restaurant / bar, and with excellent-value clean and utilitarian private rooms. The staff were always available and friendly. There was no noisy, "party-vibe" of younger, back-packer type guests, so if you're looking for that, you may want to go elsewhere.

I really enjoyed the stay at Rock & Wood. This was my first time at a hostel and didn't know what to expect exactly. The reviews were helpful to make my decision. I thought the food was decent and convenient for sure. The bar was nice to and cappuccino in the morning definitely a plus. Room was clean. The internet was not good in my room, but in the lobby it was perfect. The lobby was also comfortable, and met people from all over the world, and the staff was very helpful.

• 12th Apr 2014

I loved the luxury of the private room!! Very good value for my money!

Thanks, see you next time!!