Rock&Wood International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.615 Lane, ZhaoHua Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China

2015 Total Reviews

I traveled around china for 5 weeks and this hostel was by far the best one! Rooms were extremely clean and comfortable and had a great modern feel. The bar/restaurant was good, served both Chinese and western foods at an ok price. The only downside to this hostel was it's location. It takes around 20 minutes on the subway to reach the centre if shanghai but it was easily done. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone travelling to shanghai on a budget!

The private room is well designed and good atmosphere:)) I paid for a ordinary bedroom but offered me a luxury one, thanks a lot!!!! The cost is low, quite worth money! Besides, I like the common space here! Very big and nice! But I was informed could not eat my food on the tables, I think it could be kind of unreasonable :((( I think the large space could be offered as common using, and of course I'd like to clean by myself after using it!

Great hostel! Feels new. Not the most cosy one but no complaints.. A bit far from the center if thats a problem for some :)

The lobby is pretty cool and laid back. The staff was helpful. The hostel is somewhat difficult to find as it is located on an alleyway. I didn't like the fact that one of my roommates seemed to be living there so she had a lot of stuff laying around; I would suggest that the hostel limits the number of days a guest can stay to avoid this.

Location was excellent and staff very helpful. Facilities are great for the price and having a kitchen, a bar, pool table (sometimes a bit noisy with balls hitting the floor) etc. is really a plus for the whole experience. The only thing I was against was the wearing of street shoes into the sleeping rooms. I really think there should be a sign asking everyone to remove their street shoes before entering the whole facility or before entering the sleeping rooms. Less to clean for the cleaners.

• 9th Dec 2014

Pros: exceptional building, activities (pool table, guitar, movie nights), bar/ cafe inside, great location (2 train stations nearby), modern, clean communal shower + toilet facilities Cons: bedrooms can be cold, light may be an issue, staircase is quite clinical, staff were ok, expensive menu. Make sure you go 'out' out, street food for breakfast, less than ¥5

Nice stay, only there for one night on the way back to London. Lovely staff, the receptionist helped me with getting my cell phone topped up using her own phone account. She didn't have to, but went the extra distance. Nice.

• 3rd Dec 2014

everything is good just staff is too not helpful and washroom is too dirty i have complained the roommate is so noisy but the staff is not willing to solve the problem so disappointed

Very comfortable hostel. Surprisingly comfortable bed for China. Warm room. Good breakfast (you pay for).

Nice place and staff. Just recommend to update the map. Since there are two kaiyuan school so people won't get lost when locating the hostel. Will go there again.

I love this place, very nice place and well located.

Really nice place to stay, good location, clean and comfortable. The downstairs communal/bar area is really good. Nice place to chill out, meet people and play some pool.

Well located hostel close to 2 subway stops. Cleanliness is ok for a Chinese hostel but not up to western standards. Like most Chinese places it smells like an outhouse. Really nice bar/restaurant/common area. Food is ok, drinks are well priced. Can't bring in ur own food which is annoying. Great place to meet people. Big comfy couches, lots of places to plug in. Beds have own light and plugs. Rooms were damp and stuffy, just ok.

I had a nice stay there, bed is very comfortable. The downside is that the room is tiny, the bathroom is not very clean. But it's good price for sh, what else can i say.

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • China

Privates are a bit pricy, and can get a bit noisy (walls are very thin). But still it's a good choice in terms of location and facilities

I lived in Shanghai R&W Youth Hostel. Actually, I'm a little disappointed. My roommates made the room dirty and messy...and some were rude and misbehaved... That made me want to leave ASAP but the hostel manager wouldn't care about you. Facilities were old but ok. Washing machine and the clothe dryer were convenient. It was great that there were many outlets for recharging. I'd recommend the environment of the community--very comfortable, kind, convenient and beautiful. I prefer the community.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

A short subway ride from town but nothing extreme. The staff are quite nice and can speak English. The building has no lift so if you get one of the upper floors you'll be doing some leg workout (not a negative in my opinion!). Bed was comfortable, shower rooms decent and WiFi worked. Couldn't really ask for more. Did the job!

There was work going on while I was staying which was a bit annoying. Located quite far from the centre (ie. the Bund), but only 5 minutes to the subway with a direct line to the centre.

The hostel location is great. Two metro lines are very close and the directions to reach it are straightforward. We found great fruit markets and restaurants, reasonably priced, nearby. We were able to catch a bus to Zhu Jia Jiao ten minutes from the hostel for a day trip. The staff were friendly and helped with questions about our plans or Chinese pronunciation. The common room area is nice and spacious. The twin room was tight on space but the bathroom was clean.

Not hugely impressed after hearing good things. The thing that got to us most was the building works that were going on in the reception area. Other than being dangerous and noisy, it woke us up every morning at around 8.30am. Not something you want in any hostel/hotel. We were mostly annoyed that this was not told to us before we arrived and you could hardly hear the staff when they were talking to you. The room was very small and dingy (no window) and the breakfast very cold! Disappointed!