Saigon Balo Hostel Reviews

203 Pham Ngu Lao, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

A good standard hostel. The tours are overpriced-we booked the Cu Chi tunnels through them, paid $6 (wouldn't negotiate) and found out on the tour that it was $4.50. They tried to get us to book another, but we paid less for the exact tour elsewhere. Girl at reception was amazing!! So helpful, kind and always smiling. Wifi was good, not much of an atmosphere, nowhere to hang out. For the price, good place.

Was a nice stay. The included breakfast is good. And the best thing is: there is an elevator. A little sad was only that our 6-bed-dorm-room was equiped with only two plugs.

Great place, the lady behind the desk was extremely helpful and informative. I loved the place. it is right in the centre of everything. has an awesome rooftop place to chill out. And best part was the kebabs which were right at the entrance. cheap and omg amazing!!

I had a very good time there. Thanks for their kindness and willing to help me.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

It's a nice and very well located hostel. Breakfast is ok and cost benefit ratio is excelent. They lack a bit of organization for some things and the room is a bit crowded in the 6 bed dorm, lacking a space for the big backpacks to be out of the way.

The staff were nice and always helpful and the rooms were clean. I was also very lucky and had some of the best people I've ever met traveling in my room. Made for a wonderful time in HCM. However, in the 6 person dorm there are only two available plugs. There are more plugs in the room but they are blocked my the mattress. The hostel should look into investing in some power strips for the rooms. In this day and age even backpackers need more plugs.

• 20th Dec 2014

Excellent WiFi, breakfast was OK, good location, rooms clean, we booked the cu Chi tunnels and one day Mekong Delta tour through their tour desk. Both good value for money. Booked our bus to cambodia easily here too.

Well, to start with, do not book your tours here. They are such a rip off, charge you more than anywhere else, don't tell you there is a 5% discount for guests and shout at you if you disagree. Many people had been ripped off by them during my stay. They tried to demand more money off of me after agreeing I could change my stay. They were very difficult to talk to and were quite rude. The beds were ok but for the people and the scams I would prefer to stay somewhere else.

Good location in the backpacker area. Few minutes to the bus stop in front of Benh Thanh Market which you can take bus no. 152 from the airport. Very helpful and nice staff. She help me a lot. Thanks to her. They also have travel agent desk at the reception which I managed my bus trip to Phnom Penh and Chu Chi Tunnel as well. Just lack a bit for communal area. Overall it's a nice stay.

We were upgraded in a family room which is much more spacious than the private double bedroom we saw on the mezzanine level, in which I would not have stayed bacause your are at the level of the street and they put things in the windows so people can not see inside. But the lady at the reception is a pearl and accepted to change our room!

A standard room, nice staff and nice location. Not the most cozy atmosphere but it's absolutely a good stay. The staff makes up for the atmosphere.

It could have been an excellent hostel hiwever there were problems. The chef for breakfast was late every morning they say it starts at 7 am, he didnt get there until 7.30 which meant if you had a tour at 8 which they all start at then you have to rush. Also housekeeping comes at 3 or 4pm when you want to relax so you have to leave your room for them to clean it. All other staff were friendly, rooms big and good. Location excellent right in tourist area. Tours ran from hostel were good.

This was a great place to stay in Ho Chi Minh, i really had an enjoyable time with roommates and staff in here. The location is perfect, that in the city center. You can reach many tourists attraction by walk. The room was clean, big enough, clean with cool air-conditioner and free wifi . Breakfast is included

The Saigon Balo hotel is in a great location, a few doors down from the start of Pham Ngu Lao road which is where the coach drop off and pick up points are. The included breakfasts tasted amazing and were a great start to the day, not too heavy on the stomach! The only issue we had was with the time that housekeeping did the rounds, as it was normally quite late (around 1500-1530) which was when we came back from the whole day out and just wanted to relax in our room!

Breakfast is included but we had to go on a tour with pick up at 7:45. We were at the bar for the breakfast at 7:10. After waiting 10 minutes for any kind of personnel to show up we went downstairs and the cook was just having breakfast over there for himself. He dis not care at all and when we were asking why he was not at the bar as supposed to prepare (which is supposed to start at 7) breakfast he literally told us to let him eat and that he would come up in 5 minutes..

Great staff, couldn't have been more helpful. Great location in the heart of D1. Room had everything we needed. Only thing that didn't run perfectly was breakfast where this only 1 member of staff making breakfast for all the guests so you may have to go up early if on a trip etc I would definitely stay again and would recommend .

All are new. Friendly staff, good location, nice breakfast

• 4th Sep 2014