Sanlitun Youth Hostel Reviews

No.1 Chunxiu Lu(Gong Ti Bei Lu), Chaoyang District, Beijing, China

The hostel was quite far from a subway stop. It was central to some parts of the sanlitun drinking areas but still far from the heart of it. Shared bathrooms were horrible. Staff smoked in the toilets. Showers were generally dirty and toilets not regularly cleaned.

Great place to stay in beijing for sure....

Location and atmosphere are great! Staff is helpful and mostly friendly, although the lady on the bar can be harsh sometimes... We stayed in a room with 3 beds, on the 4th floor, these rooms are in a desperate need of refurbish, humidity and mold are ruining it.

• 7th Jun 2014

The staff was very nice, always smiling and helpful. The breakfast was GREAT! cheap, tasty and nice portions. Great drinks at night as well... amazing location and overall a good place to stay. Loved it.

The for Min , she helps me a lot Best wishes to her;)

I'd recommend this hostel to everybody who's going to Beijing!

Showers were not hot - surprising since they advertise it as such. Cafe food was great, great price. Tours offered were very convenient and fairly extensive.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • Jamaica

Everytime we come to Beijing, we stay in this hostel. If you like the Sanlitun neighbourhood (not only the party area), this is the best choice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious, the bathroom is relatively clean. There are many restaurants and supermarkets around the hostel. Only a bit far away from the metro stations.

Thank you.Looking forward to seeing you next time.

The hostel is located close to the sanlitun area and nearby you can also find a couple of bigger clubs to party all night long. The staff can english but regarding customers treatment they were average. The cleanliness was ok, but don't expect something incredible. The lobby's cafeteria/restaurant was good, with a wide range of western dishes, beer, coffee and so on.

I booked a 4 person room weeks in advance. But when we arrived, we were told we had to split up to different rooms. I understand that it was the holiday weekend (Dragonboat), but I paid the deposit to hold the room. My friends and I were still not able to all stay together. And furthermore, the guy at the front desk wasn't very nice about it either. You have to pay a deposit for just about everything. I understand some things. But drinking cups? Billiard table? And no outside food/drinks is bad.

• 31st May 2014

We had an amazing stay at Sanlitun youth hostel would deffo recommend. Everything we needed they helped us with thy even have us a metro map with all the attractions so we could find our way around easily from the hostel. The only thing was there was no cold water dispenser only hot although to buy water was only 2 CYN or 5 CYN for a HUGE bottle. I would love to stay here again... So close to everything and great atmosphere!

• 30th May 2014

Great hostel. Atmosphere is really great with a lot of people moving about. Great cafe downstairs. And wifi throughout. The location is a bit far from the subway and it's tucked behind an office building, but other than that it was great. Also, props to the staff who booked tours, taxis, and train tickets and were very, very helpful. I hope I can stay here again!

Stay was ok, the bed room was decent and it was close to some great local eats. However, the bathrooms were quite dirty, the worst part about this hostel is EVERYTHING IS EXTRA MONEY; they charge per minute on the computer, pool table etc. Even the MAP is not free....which is a first for me. I've stayed at many hostels and this is by far the most "no money no talk" hostel.

Would definitely stay here again - clean rooms, decent price, only thing that wasn't great was its distance to the subway, but that's just splitting hairs (10 min walk it seemed). A little tricky to find (tucked away behind a parking lot, with a sketchy-looking sign as the only indication its there). Big shopping mart down the street which sold my favorite chinese goodies!

thank you very much.Looking forward to seeing you next time

This was an excellently located hostel, walking distance from my favorite places in Beijing, The Bookworm, Sanlitun shopping village, and Sanlitun bar street. However, one did not need to go to the Bar Street, the nightlife and atmosphere at the Sanlitun Youth Hostel was wonderful, you can get draft beer, and stay up until 2am partying. An excellent place to stay and will always be my choice in Beijing.

Thank you so much.Wish you have a good time in Beijing and we are looking forward to seeing you next time.

As per other comments, there were many other travelers to socialize with at the bar/restaurant at the hostel, making it a great place to meet people. The hostel itself was clean and in a great location. The staff were very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Really enjoyed the stay at sanlitun. Spacious dorm rooms and beds. Big lockers in all, bring your own padlocks! Wifi throughout. Downstairs social area was awesome. Really good chill spot, great coffees, mixed reviews on the western style menu but hey, you're in china. Bar open till 2am also so great spot indoors and out for drinks and socialising. About 10min walk from subway station but cabs are cheap enough too. There's a good Peking duck restaurant round the corner too. I'd stay again

• 20th May 2014

Hi, Thanks for your high evaluation,we will try our best to improve , we also hope that you can stay here next time , and you can bring your family or your frieds to enjoy , thank you . Regards

Needs wifi everywhere in the hostel. The toilet smells of urine and cigarettes 24/7. The staff bothers to mop the floor at the pool table 3 times a day but seldom cleans the toilet. Staff is definitely not friendly, and talks to you like you owe them a living. Weird that I'm always the one saying thank you, when I'm the guest.

Nice room and a lot of nice foreign friends!

• 19th May 2014
  • China

This is the second time I've stayed here, the private rooms are very good value, which is why I booked for my most recent Beijing trip. However, I was unable to access a private room, as the hostel very unhelpfully gave away our room. The most disappointing element was that the staff were just not helpful in trying to find a solution, and we ended up in a dorm (albeit to ourselves) right next to the kitchen. A bad night sleep ensured, and I sadly won't be staying here again as a result.