Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China

We were quite disappointed by the general dirtyness of the flat: smell of humidity, dirty sheets and walls, broken lockers, no towes available, ...

Hello guys! I live in hostel before I move to my apartment. It is nice, so I stay long time in hostel. After I got my job like PR manager in clubs. So if you need any help or if you want to go out for totaly FREE please contact me on Wechat JulijaHertelendi or add me on Facebook Julija Hertelendi and I will help you. Hope see ya around. Please dont be shy. Stay good in Hidden Garden Youth hostel. Julia

Dear hostel-team We gave you a very bad feedback, but we want to let you know that with not that much effort you could improve your hostel! First, please start cleaning the rooms, they were not clean at all and the whole night you could smell the toilets. There was a lot of fungi at the walls and the rest of the room smelled of it! We recommend to install an appropriate ventilation! Finally, we didn't feel welcome at the hostel, maybe it was because it's a busy time.. But huge potential!

Thanks for your comment! We will try our best to improve all the things, and really hope to see you next time !

Don't go there. I arrived and they gave me a dorm that the entire floor was wet cause the air conditionning was spilling on it. The smell of moist was disgusting. I asked for another room and they said it's normal the cleaning lady didn't pass yet. The other room was like the first, but the water was hidden by a bed. I told them, they said it was normal. The smell was still so strong that I was not breathing well. It's serious. I cancelled my booking and they never asked why.

Oh my room was messy and hair and rubbish all over the floor. It had most dirty toilet I have ever seen in a hostel, smelly. The lounge looked very nice but I saw cocokroch next to me ... lots of mosquitoes. Very bad experience

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Hong Kong

The Hostel is in the middle of nowhere. Though it's description states just ten minutes from the Metro, it is closer to 20 minutes. The hostel is back in alleyway that is often flooded at the entrance, so if you have heavy luggage, I hope you are strong enough to carry it. I checked in to this hostel and checked out just hours later as I heard from various other expats that their stuff had been stolen from this hostel. The hostel is nowhere near anything. Expect very long subway rides.

all in all i met many nice people there n especially be friends with Carl who is really a nice guy. but i booked a bed but when i went the hostel they told me that there is no bed left so i have to slept on the couch the point is i paied the front money. besides the location of the hostel is not that good n the hostel not as clean as i expect so im not satisfy with this hostel.

It is a nice place to stay. Only inconvenient, the location quite away from downtown. Otherwise, everything was great, the atmosphere and the place are really cool.

Awful hostel. Mold and weird smells in the 8 person dorms- that do not have windows by the way. Staff did not understand english. Rooms were very dirty + smelled like cigarette smoke.

• 15th May 2015

Thanks for your comment. For you to know our 8 beds dorm does have window, for the cigarette smell there must be guest smoking secretly in the room, which is not allowed. We clean the room everyday as well. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay here.

The atmosphere in this hostel was very nice, met lots of nice and funny people here

Thanks for your comment, we are glad that you had a pleasant stay in the hostel. Hope to see you again next time !

Was not a good experience. its really far from the subway station, and then after We arrived they used our booked room, so we had to sleep in a weird room. The Room was very wet.

The hostel has a nice bar area and the rooms are relatively clean. However, the bathroom was not nice at all and let down the rest of the hostel. In terms of location, it is quite far from the main tourist areas of Shanghai.

It was a bit noisy having my hostel room near the bar. The bathrooms needed to be cleaned more regularly. The blankets were too short for tall people (my feet poked out the end).

Located god knows where in Pudong district. Nothing to do in the area, and the subway is 15-20 min walk on a dusty road. Staff is extremly helpful, there is breakfast and a nice yard. I've seen the dorms behind a glass wall and they look pretty hardcore. I myself booked a double room which was not bad but ended up spending lot's of time just to get out and back in to the area since you need to walk then take several subway stops to reach any place nice or interesting.

Was not a good experience. First, I told them that We would arrive later, and they used our booked room, so we had to sleep in a weird room with the staff. As you can guess, they did not refund any yuan due the problem. Then we moved to our original room, it was very wet, even we found a cockroach. Wifi rarely worked, it is collapsed. +point: free water, cheap beer and a lot of movies and books OK for price, however for the same value there are better hostels in Shanghai, China and Asia.