Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China

Located god knows where in Pudong district. Nothing to do in the area, and the subway is 15-20 min walk on a dusty road. Staff is extremly helpful, there is breakfast and a nice yard. I've seen the dorms behind a glass wall and they look pretty hardcore. I myself booked a double room which was not bad but ended up spending lot's of time just to get out and back in to the area since you need to walk then take several subway stops to reach any place nice or interesting.

Was not a good experience. First, I told them that We would arrive later, and they used our booked room, so we had to sleep in a weird room with the staff. As you can guess, they did not refund any yuan due the problem. Then we moved to our original room, it was very wet, even we found a cockroach. Wifi rarely worked, it is collapsed. +point: free water, cheap beer and a lot of movies and books OK for price, however for the same value there are better hostels in Shanghai, China and Asia.

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Chile

The atmosphere was great, really nice areas for everyone to relax and chat. The staff were also incredibly nice and helpful (helps if you speak a bit of mandarin). The train station was pretty close (10 min walk) and a nice 25 min walk to the financial district, where there are loads of street stalls to try food. Considering its price, the hostel was good, however there was only one substantial issue, which is the only reason I wouldn't come back- mould. My room stank of it, and made me ill.

• 23rd Mar 2015

Thanks for your staying and comment . and i am glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere here. I am so sorry that you got ill because of the mould. It rains a lot in shanghai during spring and you stayed in a 4-beds dorm which is on the 1st floor and without window . But our other dorms such as 8-beds dorms are on the 2nd floor, with window and nice view. which is also much less mould than the one you stayed. anyway, welcome back next time !

Staff really helpful. Monica was super friendly and incredibly helpful. An absolute star! Great location for Vietnam visa applications and they do a great coffee too :)

Thanks for your staying and comment ! I am happy that everything went well during your time in shanghai and hope you enjoy your trip in Vietnam! You are always welcome to come back ! take care and see you soon :) _ Monica

We were two girls staying in a 4-bed dorm for four days (with mold in the bathroom) but had to change to a twinroom (for 100rmb extra) because one of os got sick from the very cold and humid dorm. The receptionist was helpful though and the hostel is close to the metro station. The place is probably cosy and a nice place to chill in the summer, but at this time of year it's way to cold in the rooms and bar/lobby-area.

Hey girls thanks for your staying and comment . I am really sorry that one of you got sick during your staying in shanghai, it was really too cold during those days and I hope that everything go well during your trip in southeast Asia . you are always welcome back to shanghai and better in summer as you said. Anyway, take care and see you again!

Loved my stay here! Monica the receptionist was so helpful to me, assisting me to book train tickets to my further destinations and translating helpful phrases for me! Thank you guys!

Hey ! Thanks for your comment! I am happy that everything goes well about your trip .take care and hope to meet you next time!

There is currently road work being done along pudong avenue, so the road leading to the hostel has been temporarily narrowed. Not the hostel's fault but something to be aware of as a nighttime stroll won't feel 100% safe with cars whizzing right by you. The hostel itself is pretty standard. Atmosphere and staff were pleasant. Unfortunately I got sick one day and discovered that they kept a pair of dogs chained up in the entrance throughout the day. The cockroach in my shoe wasn't great either.

Thanks for your comment! sorry for the construction of pudong Ave and your sickness! we walk the dog for some time everyday but cant play with her for the whole day ,so most of the time she is there alone (because we lost her brother last month :( ,only one dog left by now.) We will try our best to make this hostel better and better, hope to meet you again next time! Regards, Monica

The staff was friendly and helpful. Hostel also had huge collection of movies and books! Location was good too, close to streets with restaurants and shops, and not too long distance to Bund and other famous landmarks. Though the hostel itself was a bit tricky to find, but that was mainly because of construction works on the street. Dorm room was a bit too cold during the daytime. Overall very good.

Thanks for your comment! I am happy you enjoy your stay here . We put some marks along the street ,so it will just take some time to walk along them and you will find the hostel soon. as you as you dont run out of patience before arriving :) We do have a lot books and movies and also PS3 , as well as a large garden for you to spend some time relaxing in hostel . Hope to see you again and take care ! Regards, Monica

Staff were nice and helpful. We had a private room, decent but the bathroom wasn't great. Location was a little far from the metro but not too bad. Good price for Shanghai.

Thanks for your comment! I am happy that you have a nice stay in our hostel. Hope to see you next time and we are always glad to help you ! Regards, Monica

I had a great time at the Hidden Garden hostel. The staff was really friendly and the atmosphere was awesome. I'll definetely recommend it to anyone who want to travel to Shanghai :)

Thanks for your comment! I am happy that you have a nice stay here!! Hope to see you next time ! Enjoy your day and take care! Regards, Monica

nice hostel, friendly staff and the restaurants nearby are cheap and delicious. Good atmosphere . Close to downtown.

its really far from the subway station. but the hostel is quiet and comfortable for sleep. the proboem is the receptionist dont speak to much, so its a little be awkward if you want to get information from them.

Stayed in the mixed 8 bed dorm for two nights, good group of people staying in the room the first night very international, the second night I was the only foreignor staying in the hostel from what I could see. Good area, 10 minute walk from the bund, 7 minute walk from the metro, two stops to get to people's square. Relatively cheap, lots of amenities, outdoor area, English and Chinese books, tv with Xbox and loads of DVDs, small beer bar and chinese and western food options!

We booked a private room and paid extra to have our own space and own bathroom. The shower was disgusting, covered in mold and smelt horrid and we could barely spend any time in it even to use the toilet. The washing machines were terrible. The bed was broken.

• 27th Jan 2015

Shanghai hidden garden hostel is a great location with a great staff. THe atmosphere was great and the staff was excellent. I would definitely recommend this to anyone coming to stay in Shanghai and plan on staying there on my next trip to China!

people go to hostels because they want to get some info. about the place they are traveling around. itd be a big help if you go ahead and talk to travelers who doesn't speak your language. Thank you.

• 14th Jan 2015
  • South Korea

POSITIVE: The hostel is 5-10 mins walk from Pudong Avenue subway stop, so comfortable for visiting the city by subway. It is also 30 mins walk from Pudong-skyscreepers NEGATIVE: Near the hostel LATE IN THE EVENING/NIGHT everything is closed and there's pretty nothing

The hostel should have more activities to make the guest know each others.

Overall a great place to stay. Nice bar/restaurant area and the rooms were in good shape. The ensuite bathrooms were a bit grotty (and cold) but the common bathrooms were nice. I'd definitely stay here again though - really helpful staff and good location. Directions to the hostel could be better. Use Google maps to plot it out before you go and take note of the exit to take from the subway.

- Very nice and helpful staff - Room with no window and very humid though - The hostel's food is good, but there are cheaper restaurants just out the door - Too bad we have to pay 10 yuans for a tourist map that will brek quickly

It is nice to meet you in our hostel . Thanks for your review . sorry to put you in a dorm without window, next time you can choose a dorm with window . I think it will be much better. And i think you take it wrong about the map, because we asked for 10yuan from you for deposit , not for selling . As usual we would give it back when you return the map. Anyway ,I am sorry for your lose. Hope to see you next time ! ---Mo, from hiddengarden