Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China

Dear hostel-team We gave you a very bad feedback, but we want to let you know that with not that much effort you could improve your hostel! First, please start cleaning the rooms, they were not clean at all and the whole night you could smell the toilets. There was a lot of fungi at the walls and the rest of the room smelled of it! We recommend to install an appropriate ventilation! Finally, we didn't feel welcome at the hostel, maybe it was because it's a busy time.. But huge potential!

Thanks for your comment! We will try our best to improve all the things, and really hope to see you next time !

Don't go there. I arrived and they gave me a dorm that the entire floor was wet cause the air conditionning was spilling on it. The smell of moist was disgusting. I asked for another room and they said it's normal the cleaning lady didn't pass yet. The other room was like the first, but the water was hidden by a bed. I told them, they said it was normal. The smell was still so strong that I was not breathing well. It's serious. I cancelled my booking and they never asked why.

Oh my room was messy and hair and rubbish all over the floor. It had most dirty toilet I have ever seen in a hostel, smelly. The lounge looked very nice but I saw cocokroch next to me ... lots of mosquitoes. Very bad experience

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Hong Kong

The Hostel is in the middle of nowhere. Though it's description states just ten minutes from the Metro, it is closer to 20 minutes. The hostel is back in alleyway that is often flooded at the entrance, so if you have heavy luggage, I hope you are strong enough to carry it. I checked in to this hostel and checked out just hours later as I heard from various other expats that their stuff had been stolen from this hostel. The hostel is nowhere near anything. Expect very long subway rides.

all in all i met many nice people there n especially be friends with Carl who is really a nice guy. but i booked a bed but when i went the hostel they told me that there is no bed left so i have to slept on the couch the point is i paied the front money. besides the location of the hostel is not that good n the hostel not as clean as i expect so im not satisfy with this hostel.

It is a nice place to stay. Only inconvenient, the location quite away from downtown. Otherwise, everything was great, the atmosphere and the place are really cool.

Awful hostel. Mold and weird smells in the 8 person dorms- that do not have windows by the way. Staff did not understand english. Rooms were very dirty + smelled like cigarette smoke.

• 15th May 2015

Thanks for your comment. For you to know our 8 beds dorm does have window, for the cigarette smell there must be guest smoking secretly in the room, which is not allowed. We clean the room everyday as well. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay here.

The atmosphere in this hostel was very nice, met lots of nice and funny people here

Thanks for your comment, we are glad that you had a pleasant stay in the hostel. Hope to see you again next time !

Was not a good experience. its really far from the subway station, and then after We arrived they used our booked room, so we had to sleep in a weird room. The Room was very wet.

The hostel has a nice bar area and the rooms are relatively clean. However, the bathroom was not nice at all and let down the rest of the hostel. In terms of location, it is quite far from the main tourist areas of Shanghai.

It was a bit noisy having my hostel room near the bar. The bathrooms needed to be cleaned more regularly. The blankets were too short for tall people (my feet poked out the end).

Located god knows where in Pudong district. Nothing to do in the area, and the subway is 15-20 min walk on a dusty road. Staff is extremly helpful, there is breakfast and a nice yard. I've seen the dorms behind a glass wall and they look pretty hardcore. I myself booked a double room which was not bad but ended up spending lot's of time just to get out and back in to the area since you need to walk then take several subway stops to reach any place nice or interesting.

Was not a good experience. First, I told them that We would arrive later, and they used our booked room, so we had to sleep in a weird room with the staff. As you can guess, they did not refund any yuan due the problem. Then we moved to our original room, it was very wet, even we found a cockroach. Wifi rarely worked, it is collapsed. +point: free water, cheap beer and a lot of movies and books OK for price, however for the same value there are better hostels in Shanghai, China and Asia.

The atmosphere was great, really nice areas for everyone to relax and chat. The staff were also incredibly nice and helpful (helps if you speak a bit of mandarin). The train station was pretty close (10 min walk) and a nice 25 min walk to the financial district, where there are loads of street stalls to try food. Considering its price, the hostel was good, however there was only one substantial issue, which is the only reason I wouldn't come back- mould. My room stank of it, and made me ill.

Thanks for your staying and comment . and i am glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere here. I am so sorry that you got ill because of the mould. It rains a lot in shanghai during spring and you stayed in a 4-beds dorm which is on the 1st floor and without window . But our other dorms such as 8-beds dorms are on the 2nd floor, with window and nice view. which is also much less mould than the one you stayed. anyway, welcome back next time !

Staff really helpful. Monica was super friendly and incredibly helpful. An absolute star! Great location for Vietnam visa applications and they do a great coffee too :)

Thanks for your staying and comment ! I am happy that everything went well during your time in shanghai and hope you enjoy your trip in Vietnam! You are always welcome to come back ! take care and see you soon :) _ Monica

We were two girls staying in a 4-bed dorm for four days (with mold in the bathroom) but had to change to a twinroom (for 100rmb extra) because one of os got sick from the very cold and humid dorm. The receptionist was helpful though and the hostel is close to the metro station. The place is probably cosy and a nice place to chill in the summer, but at this time of year it's way to cold in the rooms and bar/lobby-area.

Hey girls thanks for your staying and comment . I am really sorry that one of you got sick during your staying in shanghai, it was really too cold during those days and I hope that everything go well during your trip in southeast Asia . you are always welcome back to shanghai and better in summer as you said. Anyway, take care and see you again!

Loved my stay here! Monica the receptionist was so helpful to me, assisting me to book train tickets to my further destinations and translating helpful phrases for me! Thank you guys!

Hey ! Thanks for your comment! I am happy that everything goes well about your trip .take care and hope to meet you next time!

There is currently road work being done along pudong avenue, so the road leading to the hostel has been temporarily narrowed. Not the hostel's fault but something to be aware of as a nighttime stroll won't feel 100% safe with cars whizzing right by you. The hostel itself is pretty standard. Atmosphere and staff were pleasant. Unfortunately I got sick one day and discovered that they kept a pair of dogs chained up in the entrance throughout the day. The cockroach in my shoe wasn't great either.

Thanks for your comment! sorry for the construction of pudong Ave and your sickness! we walk the dog for some time everyday but cant play with her for the whole day ,so most of the time she is there alone (because we lost her brother last month :( ,only one dog left by now.) We will try our best to make this hostel better and better, hope to meet you again next time! Regards, Monica

地点好偏

The staff was friendly and helpful. Hostel also had huge collection of movies and books! Location was good too, close to streets with restaurants and shops, and not too long distance to Bund and other famous landmarks. Though the hostel itself was a bit tricky to find, but that was mainly because of construction works on the street. Dorm room was a bit too cold during the daytime. Overall very good.

Thanks for your comment! I am happy you enjoy your stay here . We put some marks along the street ,so it will just take some time to walk along them and you will find the hostel soon. as you as you dont run out of patience before arriving :) We do have a lot books and movies and also PS3 , as well as a large garden for you to spend some time relaxing in hostel . Hope to see you again and take care ! Regards, Monica