Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China

Better signage and direction (online) to find the place, PLEASE. Improve warmth during the winter season (functioning or better air conditioner or heating system), especially in the lobby. Improve English communication if the staff (especially since you are business that deal with international travelers).

This is definitely a "last resort" hostel. I received contradicting directions from the website and confirmation email but finally found it at the end of a dark sketchy alley. My sheets were damp and so was the room (there was mold in the ceiling). The heater didn't work and so I was freezing all night...I literally slept in my coat. The other girls in the room appeared to live there and someone was using my assigned locker as their underwear drawer. Definitely won't be back!

I rarely leave reviews on Hostel World but I can say that without a doubt this is one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed in. The room I was in was disgusting. It appeared that the other guests had been their for some time and that the room had not been cleaned in months. The bathroom door was waterlogged such that it would not even close. The lobby area was decent but the staff seemed to have no real responsibilities besides checking people in and out. It is not located near anything of note.

Enjoyed my stay here mostly because of the girls I met in the room. They helped me improve my mandarin and we had many interesting conversations. I stayed here for nearly 2 months while I was waiting to move into an apartment. I wouldn't recommend the place if you were staying for a holiday in Shanghai as it's quite away from the touristy areas. The hostel is more so for people trying to get set up Shanghai (i.e. English teachers, students etc).

I would never recommend this hostel. We were given the wrong rooms and the facilities were horribly inadequate and dirty. There was one outlet for a room of twenty beds with one heater that did nothing to warm the room. Everyone slept fully clothed because the thin blankets were hardly enough to keep us warm. There was no lock on the door nor any staff keeping track of who came and went at the hostel so at any moment our stuff could have been taken.

• 31st Dec 2015

The room was very cold and the walls moldy, so the room smelled bad

• 30th Dec 2015

The staff bent over backwards to help guests. They even allowed guests to stay in the staff dorms because so many people were seeking shelter for the New Year. The hostel is warm, has good food, has a great location, and the staff are the most loving and welcoming that you will find. I highly recommend that you stay at this hostel.

Cheap hostel, and only a ten minute walk to the Pudong Av. metro station. The manager Sue is super friendly and helpful!

Please give better directions to the hostel. The ones listed made it very very difficult to find.

One of the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Awesome overall.

• 26th Dec 2015

The staff was amazing, very friendly environment. I enjoyed my stay here and definitely I'm coming back here. Location of the hostel was perfect and pretty easy to find.

• 16th Dec 2015
  • Somalia
  • All Male Group, 18-24

This is the best hostel in Shanghai because it is reasonably priced and has warm, friendly, and helpful staff. I extended my stay here due to the optimal conditions. It is located roughly near the center of the city with easy access to a metro subway line. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and a supermarket nearby. The set up of the hostel based around a courtyard where there are often activities and guests hanging out, and comfortable to chat with. The manager Su is very knowledgeable.

Thanks for you kindly comment, Austin ! We were glad to have you here for such a long time and happy to know you enjoyed your stay. And it's also a pleasure for me to help out the guests. Hope to see you next time ! Manager Sue

Room was very damp. Bathroom is hygenically poor. Needs improvement.

Location is not amazing and the hostel is not very clean. Damp in the bathrooms and toilets smell pretty bad. The staff that could speak English were very friendly and helpful. Even though I would not stay here again.

I had a double private room. On arrival the window was open and there was no mosquito net so I was badly bitten on the first night. The room was standard clean however there was some dampness on the wall. I couldn't get the WIFI to work in my room however the WIFI in the lobby area was great. The staff were very friendly. It took abut 30 minutes to walk into the CBD, a nice walk to I consider the location to be fine. Its hidden away from the main street, so if you dont have 4G like me, prepare.

• 23rd Oct 2015

A genuinely comfortable, chilled atmosphere at this hostel, with guests, staff and their kids and pets all chilling together (including the world's most insanely cute kitten!). Above all else, I have never met a friendlier, sweeter, more accommodating receptionist than Sue! Whether you just want to talk about cats, or book a last minute train ticket, she's your girl! An absolute hero and no matter how much I pestered her, (which believe me was a lot) she always had a smile on her face!

• 2nd Oct 2015

I stayed in this hostel for 6 nights and loved it. Yes there could be some improvements but you get what you pay for. The set up of the courtyard allowed a good atmosphere to develop with the guests. The food was good and the staff along with their children and pets were so friendly and helpful- they truly went above and beyond! Only about 10 minutes walk away from the metro station and is cheap enough to get a taxi back if stay out after the metro closes at 10pm.

We were quite disappointed by the general dirtyness of the flat: smell of humidity, dirty sheets and walls, broken lockers, no towes available, ...