Simon's Town Backpackers Reviews

Prince Alfred Building, 66 St. Georges Street, Cape Town, South Africa

Great staff, very nice kitchen with plenty of spices and utensils, very clean. Bit pricey though.

Very nice place for a backpackers, and quiet place.

I was pleased with the service as I was booked for a 6 bed mixed dorm. Because the facility was very quiet, management let me stay in a room with double bunk. I am very grateful for that, thank you. The view of Simons Town bay is beautiful and location very central in walking distance to the main tourist attractions.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • South Africa

I actually missed my opportunity to stay here as I get extended at the previous place. However do passerby during my drive at Simon's Town. What a lovely chill & relax small town. I love to be back to this town and hope to stay here next time.

Booked a double room facing the water. I really enjoyed staying here. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a less pricy but still cosy place to stay.

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

They were very accommodating in allowing us to change our booking by a week, but the price went up R20, which was weird as the hostel was rather empty. This meant there was very little atmosphere, especially for a Saturday night. No hot water in the bathrooms in the morning, but when this was mentioned to the staff, they seemed quite surprised, so this is not a regular thing. Comfortable rooms and v clean bathrooms: nice enough hostel with great view of the harbour.

This is a really clean and comfortable back packers. We stayed in a double room with ensuite and it was really spacious with a nice bathroom. There is also a balcony which overlooks the harbour which is nice. The bed was super comfy so we had a good nights sleep. The only minor thing is the road noise as it is on the main road running through the town.

This hostel has had a couple of negative reviews on Hostelworld.com and even more on Tripadvisor.com. Don't quite understand why as I saw none of the negative points highlighted by earlier commentators. The location in Simon's Town is convenient, staff OK, so are the common premises (couches/bar/balcony), and I didn't find any issues with cleanliness either unlike some earlier visitors. Could recommend this place for anyone visiting Simon's Town.

We booked for 3 nights in July 2014, but ended up staying only two. It is a typical backpackers, sparse kitchen with a couple of gas stoves, small common room. It wasn't because the facilities were lacking, it was more because the town itself was lacking in activities. We wanted to see the penguins and have a shorter drive to Cape Point, otherwise there's not much reason we found to stay in Simon's Town. We would have just been better off staying in Cape Town proper.

Great location. We were the only guests, so it's difficult to comment on the atmosphere!

The hostel was perfectly comfortable to sleep for us, the kitchen and our room and bathroom were perfectly clean. The atmosphere was great and the staff very friendly. Great place to stay if you're looking for an affordable place to sleep.

• 31st Mar 2014
  • Belgium

The dorm is a very small room with 4 beds. It had only 2 lockers. That is useless. They took 170 rand for the bed which is quite expensive. Choose some other place.

We stayed there fo four days. Simon's Town is a good place to be. The backpackers is not special, one can sleep there and it is clean, but the atmosphere as we have experienced in other backpackers isn't at all.

The hostel was pleasant. We had a nice double room but it was noisy onlooking onto the balcony where other guests congregated in later hours. It was disappointing that the hostel did not provide bikes as they were needing repaired - despite saying they'd be looked at. Procrastination. I felt that one particular employee was rude and too engrossed in playing video games. Another employee was very helpful. Kitchen was clean but our ensuite shower was not pleasant as water did not drain away.

This hostel was perfectly acceptable without being outstanding. It was well located on the main road, but that did mean it suffered from traffic noise. The staff were happy to help if we had any questions. The room was a good size, but had nowhere to hang or fold clothes. The list of house rules, while understandable, seemed to be a bit severe. Overall, we would recommend this place, but it was really just good as a place to stay.

Every thing is good, if you can add some table in the private rooms and heating in all rooms then it will be perfect.

• 5th Aug 2012
  • China

The winter special was good value for money. Rooms were very clean and bathrooms nicely done.

The hostel is good, with a nice atmosphere. It's located relatively close to the restaurants but it did not seem safe to walk around the neighborhood at night. Fair price.

This building dates from 1806 and is well-preserved, has excellent ambience, and very close to the hub of Simon's Town: Harbour, Historic Mile, good restaurants,speciality shops. Good value for money

• 18th Mar 2012
  • South Africa

Overall the Hostel is fine, however, it doesn't have a social area as such, just a bar area. It is very clean and the showers were powerful (I like that). The hostel didn't have the usual vibe of a backpackers and was expensive compared to others in Cape Town. Would i go there again...Yes for sure, but for a quiet rest