Sitting On The City Walls Courtyard House Reviews

57 NianZi HuTong, JingShanHouJie, DongCheng District, Beijing, China

Having read many reviews re numerous hostels in Beijing, we decided to stay at City walls during our time in Beijing. Is it the best? I don't know, but I can recommend it with much confidence and would not mind to return to this jewel in the heart of Beijing. We always felt special and our needs were always met in double-quick time. Whenever we returned after a long day in the sun, it felt like returning home. 'Thumbs up' all the way!

• 8th Aug 2014
  • South Africa
  • Couple, 41+

this is a great little hostel ideally located walking distance form many attractions such as Tiananman Square/Forbidden City and Houhai and Beihai Lakes. We stayed in a Private Twin room and the room was large with a lovely bathroom. Lockers available in the common area for valuables. The common area was large and beautiful but there wasn't much interation amongst other travellers and the area was a bit too quiet a lot of the times. Overall I would recommend but not for meeting other travellers!

Great location with wonderful hutong atmosphere. Availability of meals disappointing with no hot drinks available after 8pm. Information regarding visiting attractions fantastic with detailed paperwork of cost, bus routes, itineraries, etc. An enjoyable experience in the rapidly disappearing Hutongs.

This Hostel was absolutely amazing. Great location (although a little walk to the station but very close to buses). The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and their english was great which made organising what we were doing and where we were going very easy. They had great recommendations on where to go, what to see and what and where to eat. I highly recommend going on the Jinshanling Great Wall tour that they organise as it is my favourite (having also been to Badaling) part of the wall

• 20th Jul 2014

Good wifi, friendly staff. Plenty of places to sit in the common area. Clean facilities. Located about 15-20 min walk to the nearest metro.

brilliant hostel staff were extremley helpfull and spoke fluent english. Good rooms comfortable beds and good food no negatives really ..thanks for a comfortable stay :)

The staff were absolutely wonderful, and the location is amazing. The courtyard was a comfortable retreat, and the room nice and cozy. Even our friends who live in Beijing commented on how nice the hostel is!

My bed could have been a little bit longer, I am 1,90 m

• 4th Jul 2014

Staff are very helpful. Hostel is located in a fantastic location. You won't beat it in Beijing if you want to be near the Hutong area and T Sq. The courtyard is very pleasant and a perfect place to relax after exploring Beijing. Food is great too. My WiFi signal was poor in my room and the door had a padlock on it, but lockers are available for valuable items. Still, I would definitely return!

This hostel is located in one of the best spot possible in Beijing: nearby Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City and Jingshan Garden. Easy to get using public transport (both bus and metro), you can find it in a traditional and amazing HuTong being able to experience the real daily life in Beijing. The place is clean, nicely furnished and the staff is kind and alway available to help you…..plus, they all speak english! Food is super: kindly recommended wonton and noodles.

• 10th Jun 2014

I could not say enough how helpful the staff were. They had everything you need and a great location. I think i did read it was hard to find but we found it. I really liked it had a more authentic feel about being in China which we preferred. Food was really good and the prices were the best we had in China. All the recommendations by the staff were bang on.

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were really efficient and ever so helpful and accomodating, especially when it came to helping me make plans and find my way around the city. I really appreciated their friendly assistance. The courtyard is very charming and the location is great.

• 5th Jun 2014

The hostel was in a really nice hutong which was a cool experience, but the hostel lacked basic things that nearly every hostel I've ever stayed in offered for free. What they did offer they would always charge a deposit fee. Not a problem, but kind of annoying. The floors, especially in the bathroom, were dirty. Worse than all of that though was the location. The hostel was terribly hard to find. I speak decent enough Chinese that I was able to ask some of the locals for help.

Thanks being here.U booked 1 night in Dorm, we so confused about your review, is there really such a strange thing to deposit for a safe-box & door e-key in a hostel if u really traveled a lot as mentioned?We offer free local call,bilingual map,Wifi and computer, regularly clean dorm bath every 2 hrs.Talking about difficlult to find here, you didn't follow our trans information on web,it shoule be a challenge for anyone trying to find a new place who get off subway 4 km away.Anyway.Best Wishs

It was so peaceful here, it seemed that no one else was around. The staff provided a great list of things to do and directions of how to get there, some tips and advice and a free city map! I got the single private room, and the bed was very comfortable. Drinks were very cheap here, and it the first hostel in Beijing where the wifi actually worked! The location is a bit far from the subway line, so it took time to get out, but the alley all around felt very safe and the residents friendly!

We had a wonderful time in Beijing, thanks to the heart-warming "home" at City Walls. Really clean rooms, bathrooms, the most comfy beds in China, and cheap beer (only 4 yuan for a generous bottle). Most of all, Rick made us feel so welcome; he was the heart of City Walls, always patient, helpful, and friendly, with a great sense of humor! We met some really nice people there too! The hutong area was interesting, and really laid-back.

One of the best hotel I have ever been into. Great staff, perfect location close to the forbidden city. Nice atmosphere and nicefood plus many well organized excursion . Highly recommended in beijing :)

• 3rd May 2014

While you can find cheaper hostels in Beijing, you would have a hard time finding better staff than at Sitting on the City Walls. The place is wonderful. They provide lots of ideas for itineraries and are happy to point out the bus and metro routes. The staff was also very helpful in pointing out what not to waste money on and how to avoid scams. Really excellent place.

The staff were helpful, but the hostel is just a little too far away from the subway. The breakfast wasn't great though - underdone bacon and the scrambled eggs oily and odd tasting. A pretty hostel though and in a nice area.

Sitting on the city walls is a tranquil oasis in busy Beijing tucked away in a Hutong. Its a great hostel, if a little expensive for a private room. But the dorms are competitively priced and are easily the best dorm I've stayed in in Beijing. Comfy beds, great clean bathrooms, and respectful dormmates:) The location is perfect for walking around the ancient city. The staff are fantastic and the coffee and beer are cheap. The courtyard is a beautiful place to chill out. Highly recommmended.

The owner was really helpful and friendly. He had really good recommendations.