Sitting On The City Walls Courtyard House Reviews

57 NianZi HuTong, JingShanHouJie, DongCheng District, Beijing, China

Staff was very nice and hepful with great English

Hostel staff were very friendly and helpful. Their travel notes about local transport and suggested tourist circuits were extremely useful, as was the fact that they spoke such good English. Their willingness to assist guests was demonstrated when they arranged for our accidentally left-behind items to be sent to Shanghai. They also booked a restaurant for us and a taxi to the train station. The hostel itself is in a wonderful location, close to the major sights but hidden in a hutong.

• 4th Apr 2014

The hostel is located in the city centre within walking distance of main sights. You have a selection of cheap restaurants nearby too.The staff is friendly and very helpful. They advise you well whenever you have a query. The hostel itself is very clean, comfortable rooms and the breakfast menu is cheap and varied. The only minus point for me was that the internet is slow and it took a while to upload a few pictures.

• 4th Apr 2014

Overall the place was fantastic. Great service from the staff, all of them which spoke decent English, which helped out a lot going to Beijing for the first time. The room was neat and clean, basic, but was exactly what we're were looking for since most of the time we went out traveling around the city. The hostel felt secured, with a key and padlock for our door when we left and a keycard to make the front door to the place open like magic. Happen with the stay and would definitely recommend it

• 4th Apr 2014

I was really nervous about staying in a hostel. But I was so glad that I chose this hostel to stay at. The location is so close to public transportation and tourist sights that it was almost impossible to turn down. The employees were really kind and helpful with everything from giving directions to offering tours. They give you a free map and even recommendations for what to see and to better plan your stay. I was worried when I found the neighborhood, but it's actually a very safe place.

• 3rd Apr 2014

I absolutely loved this hostel. The 8 bed dorm is two stories and has two toilets and two sinks - very convienent!! Although it took me a bit to find it, I was able to walk to the Forbidden City, Wangfujing shopping street and night market, and almost any other attraction in the city. There are also quite a few bus stops nearby and a metro station is about a 15 minute walk. City walls is one of the best hostels I stay in and 100% recommend it!

We stayed in a private twin room for two nights. The room was clean and the beds were comfy. No frills, but that's not what we were interested in. Our room was off of the courtyard common area and had a window open to the area. It didn't seem to be a party hostel so this wasn't a problem for our stay. We arrived around 10 pm at night so finding the hostel in the dark wasn't super easy, but doable. I would recommend maybe just getting a taxi if it's late.

• 28th Mar 2014

A really nice place with great people! Good English knowledge and good tips. A real pleasure!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Belgium

Staff was very good in english. They gave us advice and directions going around Beijing. We had a great stay. The ambiance is good, it feels like home. They always clean our room when we leave.

Really great hostel. Very warm and mellow, a great place to unwind after a day of sightseeing. Central location, quick walk to Forbidden City/Tiananmen Square, subway, and several parks. Awesome covered courtyard, great place to hang out and have a beer (only 4 yuan a bottle!) or some tea. Hostel staff was very helpful; they arranged our Great Wall trip, offered many suggestions for food and other sights, and even arranged taxis to take us to the airport when we left early in the morning.

Really cool hostel tucked away from the hustle of Beijing, feels like youre staying in an old style chinese house/temple but with all the mod-cons. Great location if youre looking to stay near the forbidden city, jing shan park, hutongs, or drum tower/bell tower. Staff gave me one of the best city introductions in terms of transport and attractions. Beds and bathrooms are comfortable, restaurant has good & cheap eats and drinks. Only suggestion would be they should provide soap in the bathrooms.

I had a great time. The staff at the City Walls were so friendlyand helpful.

We had a great time at City Walls, very cosy, great location within the Hutong quarter right behind the Forbidden City.

They are lovely people. Helpful in every way. Excellent communication in English, very clean hostel. Would recommend them on the highest standard. Their certificates on display are truly a credit to the management and all the staff whole contribute to your stay. Warren Cummins Perth Western Australia

Fantastic Stay!

Great location and the staff was very helpful. At check in she gave us a full run down on the local sites with specific directions and tips. The highlight of City Walls is the atmosphere of the traditional Chinese hutong. We arrived after dark and had a bit of a difficult time finding it because we couldn't see the signs. But a local noticed us looking lost and pointed us in the right direction.

The staff is incredibly helpful. They give you all the tips that are needed for any kind of trip and they make it really easy for you to know your way around, even without a map. The Hutong location is really cool, and its location close to the Forbidden city is very convenient if you're going as a tourist, since Beijing is so big, if you're looking for a longer stay this location may no be as convenient.

Very helpfull Staff! They write you things in chinese language on papers, which you can hand over to the cabdrivers (>90% of the chinese people speak no english!!), they also give you good travelsuggestions (contain the locationnames in chinese aswell), they're organizating a lot of things for you (e. g. trips to the great wall, hints/tips for sightseeing, telling you opening hours, etc.), they speak good english, they even give you credit, if you're run out of cash, they're preparing good food.

Liked it. Simple and cozy. You can walk every where from here. I will stay there again

• 24th Dec 2013

I'll come back someday! I didn't know whether I was lucky or the owner is really that kind, act I booked for 2 in the 8-mixed-dorm but since the dorm is under construction, she, Rachel, gave me the private room with no additional charge, wow, I`m so impressed! When we arrived, everyone will be given like a 10 min briefing about the city, tourist spots and how to get there, and suddenly u`ll feel like ur trip would be amazing with all the suggestions. They`re helpful, I enjoy our staying here;)