Sitting On The City Walls Courtyard House Reviews

57 NianZi HuTong, JingShanHouJie, DongCheng District, Beijing, China

This was a great little hostel tucked away in a perfect location in a traditional Hutong, near the Forbidden City. Nice and helpfull staff, beautiful courtyard, reasonnable price for the dorm, interesting tours and great dorm. It's a 8 bed-dorm, but as it is on two floors, it feels like a 4-bed dorm, with a nice private bathroom for the dorm. Clean, comfortable, quiet and a nice mixture of guests, nationalities and age. Would definitely come back!

A bit far from the metro with luggage, but the directions provided are easy to follow. There isn't much luggage storage space in the dorm and the lockers are small and in the common area. The staff were very helpful and have all the info you need to reach the major sites. Was a nice, quiet place while I was there.

i was in beijing 4 times and ended up staying in 3 hostels. all rated highly on hostel world and hostile bookers. this was my favourite by a mile. the staff are so helpful. the hostel is clean, beds are more comfortable than i was accustomed to in all other parts of china, wifi was good along with the food which was reasonably priced. making you feel welcome from the offset and if i was visiting beijing again i would 100% prebook here. Even good enough to keep my bag for a week whilst in DPRK

It's located inside Hutong which makes you get to see a little bit more abt authentic part of Beijing.Abt 15min walk to subway Nanluoguxiang, I enjoyed my walk a lot but sometimes when i'm beat i just wish it could be just next to the subway. Quite nice staff and very comfy lobby. All in all it's very quiet and definitely recommend to stay here.

Having read many reviews re numerous hostels in Beijing, we decided to stay at City walls during our time in Beijing. Is it the best? I don't know, but I can recommend it with much confidence and would not mind to return to this jewel in the heart of Beijing. We always felt special and our needs were always met in double-quick time. Whenever we returned after a long day in the sun, it felt like returning home. 'Thumbs up' all the way!

• 8th Aug 2014
  • South Africa
  • Couple, 41+

The directions were really good and as soon as I arrived, I was immediately greeted very warmly by the owner and his front desk girl, I apologize I have forgotten their names. The bed was pretty comfortable and the bathrooms were cleaner then I expected, remember that they are cleaned couple times a day and used almost constantly, but compared to some 3star places I've stayed, these were far superior. The in house menu was alright and reasonably priced for China, I thought. Good trip ideas too!

• 3rd Aug 2014

this is a great little hostel ideally located walking distance form many attractions such as Tiananman Square/Forbidden City and Houhai and Beihai Lakes. We stayed in a Private Twin room and the room was large with a lovely bathroom. Lockers available in the common area for valuables. The common area was large and beautiful but there wasn't much interation amongst other travellers and the area was a bit too quiet a lot of the times. Overall I would recommend but not for meeting other travellers!

Great location with wonderful hutong atmosphere. Availability of meals disappointing with no hot drinks available after 8pm. Information regarding visiting attractions fantastic with detailed paperwork of cost, bus routes, itineraries, etc. An enjoyable experience in the rapidly disappearing Hutongs.

This Hostel was absolutely amazing. Great location (although a little walk to the station but very close to buses). The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and their english was great which made organising what we were doing and where we were going very easy. They had great recommendations on where to go, what to see and what and where to eat. I highly recommend going on the Jinshanling Great Wall tour that they organise as it is my favourite (having also been to Badaling) part of the wall

• 20th Jul 2014

Good wifi, friendly staff. Plenty of places to sit in the common area. Clean facilities. Located about 15-20 min walk to the nearest metro.

brilliant hostel staff were extremley helpfull and spoke fluent english. Good rooms comfortable beds and good food no negatives really ..thanks for a comfortable stay :)

The staff were absolutely wonderful, and the location is amazing. The courtyard was a comfortable retreat, and the room nice and cozy. Even our friends who live in Beijing commented on how nice the hostel is!

My bed could have been a little bit longer, I am 1,90 m

• 4th Jul 2014

Staff are very helpful. Hostel is located in a fantastic location. You won't beat it in Beijing if you want to be near the Hutong area and T Sq. The courtyard is very pleasant and a perfect place to relax after exploring Beijing. Food is great too. My WiFi signal was poor in my room and the door had a padlock on it, but lockers are available for valuable items. Still, I would definitely return!

This hostel is located in one of the best spot possible in Beijing: nearby Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City and Jingshan Garden. Easy to get using public transport (both bus and metro), you can find it in a traditional and amazing HuTong being able to experience the real daily life in Beijing. The place is clean, nicely furnished and the staff is kind and alway available to help you…..plus, they all speak english! Food is super: kindly recommended wonton and noodles.

• 10th Jun 2014

I could not say enough how helpful the staff were. They had everything you need and a great location. I think i did read it was hard to find but we found it. I really liked it had a more authentic feel about being in China which we preferred. Food was really good and the prices were the best we had in China. All the recommendations by the staff were bang on.

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were really efficient and ever so helpful and accomodating, especially when it came to helping me make plans and find my way around the city. I really appreciated their friendly assistance. The courtyard is very charming and the location is great.

• 5th Jun 2014

The hostel was in a really nice hutong which was a cool experience, but the hostel lacked basic things that nearly every hostel I've ever stayed in offered for free. What they did offer they would always charge a deposit fee. Not a problem, but kind of annoying. The floors, especially in the bathroom, were dirty. Worse than all of that though was the location. The hostel was terribly hard to find. I speak decent enough Chinese that I was able to ask some of the locals for help.

Thanks being here.U booked 1 night in Dorm, we so confused about your review, is there really such a strange thing to deposit for a safe-box & door e-key in a hostel if u really traveled a lot as mentioned?We offer free local call,bilingual map,Wifi and computer, regularly clean dorm bath every 2 hrs.Talking about difficlult to find here, you didn't follow our trans information on web,it shoule be a challenge for anyone trying to find a new place who get off subway 4 km away.Anyway.Best Wishs

It was so peaceful here, it seemed that no one else was around. The staff provided a great list of things to do and directions of how to get there, some tips and advice and a free city map! I got the single private room, and the bed was very comfortable. Drinks were very cheap here, and it the first hostel in Beijing where the wifi actually worked! The location is a bit far from the subway line, so it took time to get out, but the alley all around felt very safe and the residents friendly!

We had a wonderful time in Beijing, thanks to the heart-warming "home" at City Walls. Really clean rooms, bathrooms, the most comfy beds in China, and cheap beer (only 4 yuan for a generous bottle). Most of all, Rick made us feel so welcome; he was the heart of City Walls, always patient, helpful, and friendly, with a great sense of humor! We met some really nice people there too! The hutong area was interesting, and really laid-back.