Sitting On The City Walls Courtyard House Reviews

57 NianZi HuTong, JingShanHouJie, DongCheng District, Beijing, China

Fantastic hostel! Staff we're friendly, helpful and very accommodating, with very good level of English. The communal area is spacious and well-furnished, and the hostel food and drink prices very reasonable considering the central location.

At first, Rachel was very kind with me because I had no money in cash so she lent me 300 yuan but, then, everything changed. The last day I asked to Rachel if she could repeat to me how to go to the airport and she shouted to me. I live in a very small town where there's no metro so I felt very insecure about this transportation so that's why I asked her to repeat the explanation. I consider that a person who works in tourism have to be prepared to repeat directions to the people.

It is in a great location, close to the Forbidden City and many good restaurants. Richard and his family speak English and are very friendly and helpful. They can and will book day tours, make recommendations for great, close restaurants and arrange transportation for you.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Beautiful hostel, amazingly helpful staff, would definitely stay again!

Definitely my fav hostel in Beijing~!!Good location, great staff~!!!

Staff members incredibly helpful. Forbidden City within walking distance. Located in cosy hutong.

• 24th Dec 2014

Really enjoyed staying here. Lucy the receptionist was great in welcoming us and giving us the downlow on Beijing. Top location between the Houhai lake area and Tienanmen square, all walkable. The courtyard area was well set out. Was pretty quiet as we were probably the only ones there but it was winter to be fair.

Very helpful concerned staff. Good food. Nice covered courtyard to meet and converse with fellow travelers. I suggest a more detailed map & directions of how to get there be added to the web as it was very hard to find. Even the taxi drivers would not try to get us there, as the Hutons are not as clear to figure out. It was nice that the proprietor came out to get us and walk us back to the Hostel as we were close, but could not find the way. This was our only complaint. Good hot showers.

• 31st Oct 2014

Nice and cozy. Excellent value for the money. Furthermore, it seems to be a place attacking friendly and talkative people. Be aware that it is not a party hostel, so it is actually possible to get a good nights sleep.

Really nice hostel, tucked away down scenic alleyways with its rooms opening onto a traditional Chinese courtyard, which provides an excellent chill out spot. Good location for the forbidden city and the night life around the lake. Easy subway access. English speaking staff. Food and drinks available. Very cheap beer too.

The location is very authentic in the middle of an unimproved "hutong". The hostel occupying a real traditional courtyard dwelling typical of the area. There has been minimal structural modification of the building beyond roofing over the courtyard to form a communal atrium style sitting space in the centre of the building. Great care has been taken to emphasise Chinese cultural references throughout the hostel. These make high levels of Security, Cleanliness and Facilities more difficult.

The staff were effective but definitely not warm or approachable. It was more like quick ask what you want, we have other things to do. Also, the rooms were not cleaned everyday and I had to highlight that to the front desk and then it was cleaned. The shower had a used plaster sitting on the stand for the entire 5 days I stayed. So cleaning is done but not properly. While the hostel is located in a central part of city, the distance to the metro was quite a bit.

Our stay at Sitting On The City Walls was fantastic. The staff were so helpful and made us feel very welcome throughout our stay. The hostel was very clean and the food was fresh and delicious.

• 6th Oct 2014

Very difficult to find the first time but such a great atmosphere. The staff was brilliantly helpful!

The staff was smiling and helpful, one of the best hostels I've been to in China! The location was a bit off, but it was still reasonably close to the underground.

The owner (Rick) was extremely friendly, helpful and nice. The courtyard a great place to hang out and the food was convenient and tasty. But I was a little disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. Even after the cleaner had been there during the day, there was still lots of long black hair ALL over the floor in the doom room. Also, while the toilets were nice and clean, the dorm shower was a bit weird. Maybe get a longer shower curtain, which actually covers the entire glass wall!

The courtyard itself was covered and made a fantastic sitting, dining and info (computers available for use) area. Owners so helpful -, food good and great location - 5* accommodation. Yes please let them know what I said - I'll certainlt stay there again. regards Heidrun

An excellently located hostel with incredibly helpful staff who spoke great English! We asked for a quite room but were placed next to the 24 hour reception. Never the less it was a good room, the Great Wall trip was fantastic as were the hostel facilities.

This was a great little hostel tucked away in a perfect location in a traditional Hutong, near the Forbidden City. Nice and helpfull staff, beautiful courtyard, reasonnable price for the dorm, interesting tours and great dorm. It's a 8 bed-dorm, but as it is on two floors, it feels like a 4-bed dorm, with a nice private bathroom for the dorm. Clean, comfortable, quiet and a nice mixture of guests, nationalities and age. Would definitely come back!

Relatively expensive, noisy, but cosy courtyardhotel