St Kilda Beach House @ Hotel Barkly Reviews

109 Barkly Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia

All you need for accomodation in St Kilda, Prime location i St Kilda with a short walk to the beach, Acland street and Fitzroy Street! Rooms have bathrooms in it and are spacious with lockers for your baggage.

• 11th Dec 2014
  • Scotland

The hostel was fantastic! The only thing that let it down was a VERY rude staff member on reception. When checking in we were told that you didn't have our booking but told we 'were lucky as we have rooms' even though our deposit had been taken. She shortly after found our booking but no apology was given. I requested our room bin not to be emptied as I had accidentally thrown a ticket away and she told me she would try get round to it but I would probably have to search the outside bin.

• 3rd Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. My apologies for your encounter with a staff member, this has been followed up immediately. Regarding your bin, i believe that we asked the cleaners not to empty the bin that day and you were only advised that if the cleaners had already done this that unfortunately on a very busy day our staff members wouldn't have the time to search through the bins for you. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay otherwise. Regards, Management

Nice stay in a hostel with great events for backpackers. Some warning online of cash deposits would be appreciated. Enjoyed my night, thank you!

• 1st Nov 2014

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I hope that you had as much for the rest of your trip in Melbourne. Regards, Management.

A dark and unwelcoming atmosphere, the kitchen is one of the worst I've seen. It's clear backpackers aren't cleaning up after themselves but it is also clear that some of the surfaces and facilities haven't been cleaned properly for months. Staff kept coming in the room to promote cheap drinks. No common area, unless you count the bar. If you're looking for somewhere to drink and fall into bed then this is the place. Otherwise stay elsewhere.

Thank you for your review. All of your comments have been taken on board. The kitchen is cleaned twice daily and once a week a thorough deep clean is taken place, i will follow up your comments with staff. Regards, Management.

Thumbs up for this pretty cool hostel! I loved the rooftop bar.

• 25th Oct 2014

Dark and dingy place, had a eally blocking the light in the room and then wasnt even electric ones. Kitchen was dirty and grotty. Everything about it was dark and depressing. The staff were ok, but nothing woo

• 10th Oct 2014

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. Our kitchen is cleaned twice daily and we try to promote a clean environment inbetween! We are working on improving the lighting in our rooms. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels. Regards, Management.

Staff were always very lovely and friendly. Free breakfast at a hostel always goes down well, even if it is just toast and cereal. Rooms didn't seem to be cleaned often, was there 4 days, and only felt like it was cleaned once? Bathroom and kitchen were particularly gross. Hostel for some reason seemed unwelcoming, even though staff were pleasant. Loads of signs everywhere with many negative points, our room was very dark/dingy only lights on one side of room. For a few nights sleep the worst.

Thank you for your comments and review. Our rooms are cleaned daily and a deep clean takes place every week. Our kitchen is also cleaned twice daily - your comments will be followed up on. The lighting in the rooms is something that we are looking at improving in coming weeks. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

I was disappointed that I was unable to stay here because I'm Australian, even more disappointed that hostel world has not refunded my booking fee as I clearly nominated my nationality when booking. I wouldn't use this site ever again

• 28th Sep 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are an international youth hostel and other alternative accommodation was offered for your stay. Regards, Management.

Staff is friendly and helpful, they even hooked me up with a job down the street in a restaurant. Both me and my roomies had bunch of issues with the key card, it just randomly stopped working at times. There is no staff during the night, so we had to knock on the door until someone woke up because the card was broken. Lock in our bathroom was broken, but wasn't a huge issue. Pancakes on Wednesday are awesome, and he breakfast in general was great. Ask for room 108, it has two floors for 8 ppl.

• 5th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Thank you for your review and comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us!

The hostel is clean, talking about all the common areas. The rooms are untidy as well as the bathrooms inside the rooms, but that is not the fault of the hostel is about the people living there. The breakfast is nice and pancakes on Wednesday is awesome. The bathroom in the bar is clean and the people of the hostel is really kind. The location is very convenient if you are planning to spend some time in the beach. The transport is close and easy to get there. The hostel is good for the price.

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities...we are constantly working at trying to keep all the backpackers belongings tidy.. lockers, drawers, tubs and weekly deep cleans help but its an ongoing process. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels!

Really good hostel and it's nice that the breakfast is for free:)

Thank you for your great review!