St Kilda Beach House @ Hotel Barkly Reviews

109 Barkly Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia

Staff is friendly, location is fine (if you're happy to be in St. Kilda). The beds themselves are plastic and make the worst noise but the rooms are clean and the bathrooms is ensuite, which is nice unless everyone in the room is getting ready at the same time. Rooftop bar is hopping so if you want sleep stay on the lower floors. Free breakfast in the restaraunt downstairs, basic but nice.

Good hostel in St.Kilda If you love beach, you can go to St.Kilda beach in 15 min by walk. at this room,it has own bathroom. it's very convenient. highly recommmend

Thanks very much for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy traveling!

i've been to much worse places, but especially the kitchen is simply a disgusting mess. the rooms are alright though (i liked the fact that bathrooms are in the rooms). the best thing about his place are the people you meet there: warm, welcoming, well chilled and party-orientated.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • Austria

Thank you for your feedback, please be assured we do all we can to keep the kitchen clean - 2 of our lovely backpackers clean it twice a day. We're glad you enjoyed the company of our guests, we like them too! Happy travels.

Nice hostel. We had an enormous big private room. Clean

• 13th Jan 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Enjoy the rest of your travels! Regards, Management.

DO NOT STAY HERE! Riddled with the biggest bed bugs I have ever seen. They are the size of baby cockroaches and when the room was fumigated they were still crawling around! The staff don't care and will not offer any clothes washing facilities or refund! Their response 'it is not the hostels fault' yet because of their bed covers it is evident that the bugs live in the walls. I have experienced the worst week of travelling of 6 months covered in around 100 huge painful bites resulting in scars

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. In response to your comments about staff not caring that is far from the truth, your situation was dealt with professionally and as best as it could have done. You were given free accommodation with a greater value than any laundry. Our sincerest apologies that you were so unhappy with your stay. We react professionally and with speed to any complaints about bed bugs. Regards, Management.

The location is the best part about this hostel. People here were all on working holiday so they were living here. I found it difficult to find people to explore the area with. 99% of people I met went to work and spent their nights drinking goon. Once the sun goes down there isn't a lot of light in the room and the bathroom had a questionable smell. It really just a room with a locker and bunk beds. No character, just a place to rest your head. Meet people on the go rather than here.

Cool place, especially room number 108! Hostel is full of British people and some of them are really rude and act like they own the place, that's not hostel's fault though.

All you need for accomodation in St Kilda, Prime location i St Kilda with a short walk to the beach, Acland street and Fitzroy Street! Rooms have bathrooms in it and are spacious with lockers for your baggage.

• 11th Dec 2014
  • Scotland

Thank you for your review and comments! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay :)

The hostel is very noisy with all the rooftop parties and the bar on the ground floor. The kitchen is too small and far too dirty. Nobody is doing the dishes and nobody can, because the kitchen sponge is never exchanged. Breakfast is served only till 9. A good thing are the big lockers in the rooms.

The hostel was fantastic! The only thing that let it down was a VERY rude staff member on reception. When checking in we were told that you didn't have our booking but told we 'were lucky as we have rooms' even though our deposit had been taken. She shortly after found our booking but no apology was given. I requested our room bin not to be emptied as I had accidentally thrown a ticket away and she told me she would try get round to it but I would probably have to search the outside bin.

• 3rd Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. My apologies for your encounter with a staff member, this has been followed up immediately. Regarding your bin, i believe that we asked the cleaners not to empty the bin that day and you were only advised that if the cleaners had already done this that unfortunately on a very busy day our staff members wouldn't have the time to search through the bins for you. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay otherwise. Regards, Management

Nice stay in a hostel with great events for backpackers. Some warning online of cash deposits would be appreciated. Enjoyed my night, thank you!

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I hope that you had as much for the rest of your trip in Melbourne. Regards, Management.

A dark and unwelcoming atmosphere, the kitchen is one of the worst I've seen. It's clear backpackers aren't cleaning up after themselves but it is also clear that some of the surfaces and facilities haven't been cleaned properly for months. Staff kept coming in the room to promote cheap drinks. No common area, unless you count the bar. If you're looking for somewhere to drink and fall into bed then this is the place. Otherwise stay elsewhere.

Thank you for your review. All of your comments have been taken on board. The kitchen is cleaned twice daily and once a week a thorough deep clean is taken place, i will follow up your comments with staff. Regards, Management.

Thumbs up for this pretty cool hostel! I loved the rooftop bar.

• 25th Oct 2014

Dark and dingy place, had a eally blocking the light in the room and then wasnt even electric ones. Kitchen was dirty and grotty. Everything about it was dark and depressing. The staff were ok, but nothing woo

• 10th Oct 2014

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. Our kitchen is cleaned twice daily and we try to promote a clean environment inbetween! We are working on improving the lighting in our rooms. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels. Regards, Management.

Staff were always very lovely and friendly. Free breakfast at a hostel always goes down well, even if it is just toast and cereal. Rooms didn't seem to be cleaned often, was there 4 days, and only felt like it was cleaned once? Bathroom and kitchen were particularly gross. Hostel for some reason seemed unwelcoming, even though staff were pleasant. Loads of signs everywhere with many negative points, our room was very dark/dingy only lights on one side of room. For a few nights sleep the worst.

Thank you for your comments and review. Our rooms are cleaned daily and a deep clean takes place every week. Our kitchen is also cleaned twice daily - your comments will be followed up on. The lighting in the rooms is something that we are looking at improving in coming weeks. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

I was disappointed that I was unable to stay here because I'm Australian, even more disappointed that hostel world has not refunded my booking fee as I clearly nominated my nationality when booking. I wouldn't use this site ever again

• 28th Sep 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are an international youth hostel and other alternative accommodation was offered for your stay. Regards, Management.