Home Travellers Motel- St Kilda Reviews

32 Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia

I am afraid of St. Kilda but i stay here anyway because the area is many fun people. At this hostel i find great friends and the staff were friends too! There is very secure, safe and many cleaning, very close to beach and fun place. It is cheap but sometimes there is a dirt in my room but it is always soon gone with the noise at late! Had many fun here and will love it here again!

• 26th Mar 2014

I really liked this hostel. It was certainly the best hostel I have been in Melbourne. Great people, close location to the beach and other attractions and a very friendly staff as well. If I get back to Melbourne I will book for this hostel again.

• 21st Mar 2014

Great joint, easy to make friends to travel or hang out with, and the staff have set up the place with a great vibe. It's nothing too fancy, but the mattresses are hella comfy and it's quiet enough to get a few hours sleep at night.

• 19th Mar 2014

This place is a complete dirt hole. Stayed in 8 bed dorm and apparently that wasn't enough because there was a person sleeping on the filthy floor. Didn't notice him until until a phone turned on and woke me up. It was my phone plugged in and his hands were right close to it maybe guessing my password. IDK. But I didn't leave it like that. The kitchen closes at 10pm and the internet costs money. The air quality was unbearable I couldn't sleep. Just stay away!

• 15th Mar 2014

So sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. However I'm very disappointed that you've mentioned things that are not totally true. Our staff, actually our manager spoke to you in reception when you mentioned that someone was sleeping on the floor of your room, it was later found out that it was actually someone who was checked into that room and decided to use the floor rather than their bed, a little less comfortable I think! As for the air, it was 35'c so I guess your right, unbearable to some

Mixed opinion... staff were all really friendly

Had a great stay. One of the best hostels I have stayed in. Had a private room which was big and clean. Only complaint is I found the mattress uncomfortable but my partner didn't and if I really wanted to be picky I would say it is a bit tired and needs a lick of paint. Would recommend it to anyone.

We were so lucky to get this place for our week in St Kilda, Melbourne, not 5 star but it had everything we needed in a great location at a very reasonable price.

• 10th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Bit grubby and felt un cared for, nothing horrendous but poor value for money compared to others near by. Book early and stay at Ritz instead, slightly further from beach but closer to CBD and a lot.nicer facilities.

This place is a clean and nice hostel but do not expect to make friends here. It is super cliquey and not welcoming of newcomers. I did not feel comfortable going to the kitchen alone so just avoided it all together.

Nice people and good location - close to st kilda beach and easy to have a nice chat in the kitchen, even if you're just there for one night. Nevertheless, sharing one bathroom with only one shower and toilet with all the others in your room isn't great fun if you're in a big dorm.

The staff were friendly and informative. Good location by Luna Park and an easy tram journey to the centre of town. The room want the cleanest but overall it was ok. Wouldn't necessarily recommend the place or stay there again.

The staff at this hostel were friendly and helpful. I liked how they enforced their policy of no loud noise after 11 p.m. It is close to shops and cafes on Acland St. and to the night markets and it's a quick tram ride into Melbourne. What I didn't like was that the kitchen didn't seem to have enough utensils and it seemed run down and it could have been cleaner.

Hi, thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you enjoyed what St Kilda/Melbourne has to offer! We now have replenished ALL kitchenware (mugs, glasses, pots and pans, cutlery and sharp knives. You're right about the kitchen being a bit old and run down. There are plans to give it longer life once winter comes in and its a bit quieter (thus less guests to disrupt from their cooking).

Bed was uncomfortable... time for new mattresses You guys need more kitchen supplies, there was never a coffee mug or much of anything

Sorry to hear about the discomfort caused by your mattress, you must have had an older mattress. None of our reception staff sleep here so we rely on feedback from our guests regarding this. Actually we have 10 brand new mattresses in storage for this reason. Thanks for the feedback regarding the kitchen, we have replenished ALL kitchen utensils (mugs, glasses, pots and pans, cutlery and sharp knives).

We stayed in a double room, which was lovely. En-suite and had a fridge/microwave/tv in it. The kitchen is disgusting and never clean. The hostel is full of long-termers and we felt it was a bit cliquey. Maybe we felt this as we were in a double room though. The hostel has a party atmosphere in the evenings, but the staff are good at moving people on after 11pm. The location is good in st. kilda and easy enough to get into Melbourne's CBD.

That's great that you enjoyed the facilities of your room but it's a shame you saw the Kitchen in such a state. We try very hard to keep it looking presentable (staff cleaning it 4 or 5 times daily) but despite the kitchen being of relative size to the hostel- with108 people using it- we can only hope for the best but expect the worst of the slim few who refuse to do their dishes leaving it a mess for the next person in line.

I can honestly say the staff were really friendly and helpful, it is a really friendly atmosphere i think because of the staff plus maybe good backpackers lol, the only thing i think is it's a little strict music has to stop at five pm

• 30th Jan 2014

There was a long stay person in our room each time we visited which was on 3 occasions over 2 weeks and they had no cupboard, shelf or underfed storage therefore there luggage was all over the floor reducing everyone in the rooms space and enjoyment. Lockers in the rooms I think are a must for a hostel when you are sharing rooms as you need security for your belongings. I did like the WiFi arrangements and the staff were fantastic, I also liked that the gates shut at ten.

1 2 Next » last »