The Bowery House Reviews

220 Bowery, New York, USA

The Bowery House is on the worst street in the best area. I was surprised to showers more open and less private than is normal for an American hostel. I did not enjoy that lack of privacy. My other concern was the lack of social inclusiveness in the hostel, there did not appear to be any organised activities for guests to enjoy and staff were not particularly helpful with regard to travel information for people visiting NYC.

• 10th Nov 2015

Very good place. Excellent location. Nice athmosphere. Rooftop/garden is amazing and staff very friendly

I could not recommend the Bowery House more for someone who is looking for a crash pad whilst they stay in NYC. It is well situated for the Subway (close to Bowery and Spring Street stations) with all kinds of amenities at your doorstep The rooms/cabins are small (really small - mine was approx 7ft x 5ft) but perfect for what I needed, a place to leave my bag during the day and lay my head at night and nothing more. The prices are great and there's not one thing I would complain about

• 28th Oct 2015

These are cabins, not rooms, which means that walls don't get to the ceiling. This means that it is noisy and even with earpligs you hear everything around. A/C runs 24 hours and if it goes straight into your room, be ready to get a cold. Plus, if your height is more than 1.60 m, you won't fit straight in the bed. Everything else is ok.

I has cockroach in my room and when i sleep i has one on my face

I was booking to stay there and finally for some raisons I called the stuff of the hotel to cancel the reservation and asking for my deposit back because regarding a policy of hostel.com, but still today , they never send me back my money, fore me this hotel rubbing me , sample .I'm not recommend this hotel for any one .

• 20th Oct 2015

The place need to be shut down

Well, I never made it to the Bowery House, but it still deserves a review. I canceled my reservation at the last minute for medical reasons (entire trip from France to US canceled). And I got refunded the first night despite the 48h policy! While talking to the receptionist, it did not seem possible. But the manager must have approved it. So thanks! And next time I plan on visiting NYC, I'll be booking at the Bowery House!!

• 25th Sep 2015

the place is too dark and too small

I normally rather not right a review if I don't like a hostel but my experience at Bowery House was the worst ever (for many reasons). The place is really dark, I could hear rats going around my bed, the bathroom is really dirty, and all rooms have an open ceiling so you can clearly hear what the others 20 guests are doing in their rooms. The young girl at the reception was extremely rude (one of the things was when she told me to f** when I asked if their serve breakfast, really).

There appeared to be one or two homeless people sleeping in the front room, at least on a couple of the nights, and one of the bathrooms definitely needs completely refurbishing. Apart from that the place was fine - great location, lovely staff.

Excellent hostel. Great location and really liked my cabin.

Clean, very friendly staff, acces to the rooftop. Though it is a bit noisy as there are only cabins (comparable to a cubical), but you'll get free earplugs which was acceptable for me. Location is perfect for enjoying the NYC Life. (shopping and party in nolita/east village, cheap and artificial food in chinatown)

An interesting place although strange in the way that it's not really a hotel or a hostel. I think it would benefit greatly from a small kitchen for guests to use and store food and drink. Staff were great and very helpful. Place was clean and tidy. I thought that $10 was to expensive to store bags. Ok for a full 24 hours but who does that? I wanted to store mine for a few hours. Maybe just $5 for that?

Rooms slightly on the small side but otherwise can't complain.

Staff was fantastic, very clean facilities, good atmosphere. I've spent a lot of time in hostels and this one was good. Small bed (I'm only 5'2" and I was almost as long as the bed!) Very small room but I don't think you should expect too much space in Manhattan, especially for this price. The hostel is located in a less affluent neighborhood of Manhattan. It felt a little less safe, especially at night. However, I did not have any problems and had a generally good experience at this hostel.

Unfortunately I had to cancel my stay at the Bowery house. They charged me the deposit + 90$ which I think is a bit too much considering that I cancelled one day in advance (as they state on their homepage) and that I am a budget traveller. I can't really say anything about the property itself. Hope that they will ease their cancellation conditions in the future.

• 7th Jun 2015