The Bowery House Reviews

220 Bowery, New York, USA

Rooms slightly on the small side but otherwise can't complain.

Staff was fantastic, very clean facilities, good atmosphere. I've spent a lot of time in hostels and this one was good. Small bed (I'm only 5'2" and I was almost as long as the bed!) Very small room but I don't think you should expect too much space in Manhattan, especially for this price. The hostel is located in a less affluent neighborhood of Manhattan. It felt a little less safe, especially at night. However, I did not have any problems and had a generally good experience at this hostel.

Unfortunately I had to cancel my stay at the Bowery house. They charged me the deposit + 90$ which I think is a bit too much considering that I cancelled one day in advance (as they state on their homepage) and that I am a budget traveller. I can't really say anything about the property itself. Hope that they will ease their cancellation conditions in the future.

• 7th Jun 2015

The staff was very helpfull and friendly, there was a good atmosphere in the shared area. However the actual room itself was ridiciously small, I am not that tall (5'10) but when I layed down my head was against one wall and my feet against the other. The bed was even smaller so part of my legs and my feet were off the bed. Also there were only four walls and no ceilings so you could hear the whole floor including the loud fans and AC making it very hard to sleep.

• 28th May 2015

I had a lovely time at the Bowery, the staff was very helpful, the cabins was small but enough for me and my (small) bag.

• 25th May 2015
  • Sweden

Cabin is open top, so you have to listen to everyone cough, snore and *other things* The Internet connection didn't work

• 18th May 2015

This place is great! The location is convenient to the subway and to lots of great restaurants, bars, shops. The staff are friendly and the rooms are small but comfortable. A good place to lay your head for the night.

Cabins are too small, don't think they're like rooms, and your share the same room with dozens of people (the ceiling is open) that means you will most probably hear snoring at night. However, it's in Manhattan, very accessible, very kind and helpful staff and very cool design, so definitely it's value for its money. When I go again to Manhattan, I'll most probably stay again there.

I enjoyed staying this place mostly because of its location and its cleanliness ! The place is a few steps away from Chinatown and little italy and soho as well. That made so much easier and moe fun exploring NYC. A subway station is a couple of blocks away,too. The room is a bit small but it there is a cabinet so that I can store my clothes. Also,the space underneath the bed was perfect for store my suitcase. Yes,it gets noisy at night but earplugs makes it ok. The bathroom is pretty clean too

The staff were all wonderful, lively, and always helpful. I really enjoyed conversations with them. Music selection was on point and the lounge area was comfortable and inviting. Not exactly my most lively hostel stay on the side of the guests, though. But for price, location, staff and the rooftop terrace, 10/10 would stay again.

• 24th Apr 2015

Very clean good value for money in a good location. Standard rooms are a bit small if your on the tall side so would recommend upgrading but dont let that put you off as im 6ft 5 and would stay again.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Everything was great. The rooms were a little small but other than that everything was awesome. The staff was super helpful and the showers were great, they were always cleaning the place

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

Excellent location. The cabins are tiny and the walls are paper thin - so, not suitable for light sleepers, but the beds are clean and comfortable; it's a place good enough to shower (good shower facilities with free body wash and shampoo from Red Flower) and to sleep for the night. Staff is helpful. If you are on a budget, this is the place to be. However, be prepared to wake up early every morning - due to the thin walls, you can hear clearly everybody's alarms going off in the morning.

The rooms are way to small. It was hard to sleep because I couldn't fully extend my legs (I'm 6 feet tall).

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Slovenia

Excellent location! Very small rooms (cabins) and not suitable for tall people over 175cm! Very clean. A nice place if you are going to spend mist of your time out.

• 1st Mar 2015
  • Sweden

I am only 1.6m tall, so I had a very comfy stay and I really liked the atmosphere.

I loved staying here. The location is literally where Chinatown/Soho/Noho/Greenwich/East Village all cross. Walking to anything in this part of lower Manhattan is incredibly convenient. Want to go to Midtown or Upper Manhattan??.. no problem - the train you need is about 5 min walk. They have 24hr security and always an additional 1 or 2 people at the check in desk. Also, the place wasn't too busy so I was able to be in a bunk room all by myself! It was plenty warm and everyone was really nice.

• 27th Jan 2015