University of Toronto New College Residences Reviews

40 Willcocks Street, Toronto, Canada

Showers are a bit sketchy (in need of repair), otherwise all good! Air conditioning in the room was a pleasant surprise.

The student staff at the front desk and the reservation office were extremely helpful and friendly. The dorm room wasn't on the cleaning staff's schedule so it wasn't ready. But they gave us another room straight away. It was a minor issue. I was pleased with our stay and would stay there again.

• 15th Aug 2015

I've had better hostels. It's clean and it allows you a place to stay. I would have liked to interact with other travelers and locals more though. The staff is also pretty bad at giving directions. I would recommend staying somewhere that's a but more centrally located. This is close to a lot of public transportation but it's not central. The city itself is pretty spread out and the transit system took a few days to learn to navigate from this location.

When we first arrived the front desk staff were less than competent and not friendly or helpful at all. When asking for a manager the receptionist said I can give you the wifi password and you can google it, which did not help at all. Luckily the friend I was travelling with scouted around and ended up running in to the manager who was more than helpful and accommodating. He ensured we got in to the room for an early checkin and was extremely helpful and friendly to work with.

• 1st Aug 2015

It was okay, but it felt like an institution, didn't want to be there more than we absolutely had to. It served the purpose but for the price I would go to a motel next time. Woke up several times during the night because of commotion going on in the hallway.

• 16th Jul 2015

The university needs to BUTT OUT of residents' free access to the internet. It is "available" by both cable and wi-fi, but-- the university insists on an agreement to an intrusive regime. It even followed me to a snack place nearby; I couldn't access their wi-fi network until I manually went into my computer preferences and manually deleted any connection to the university's system. . . Despite the price and other positives,I would not stay there again for this reason alone.

• 2nd Jul 2015

Great location. Uncomfortable bed. Clean washrooms. Insufficient hot water in the showers.Good buffet breakfast. Overall, a good place to stay in toronto.

• 20th Jun 2015

Clean, quiet, has everything you need. Not the height of luxury, but certainly at least the equal of my undergrad accommodation, so perfectly comfortable. As with all university residences, the front desk staff know *everything* and were friendly and helpful.

• 16th Jun 2015

Comfortable (I was alone in room for two) and quiet. Best value for that price. And I like academical surroundings UofT.

bathroom/shower room and toilets there need to be revamped and cleaner. Direction instruction to the residences should be clearer since it's so easy to take a streetcar and take off in front of the building. The subway is also less than 10 minutes walking.

Slightly over priced for what it is.

• 12th Jun 2015

The Residence was just about what I expected for the price, however the only thing I did not like was that my door was very heavy and I could not close it quietly when I would leave the room. The door would stick and in order for me to close it, I would have to pull hard and it would make a loud, reverberating bang.

30 minute walk from the cn tower and casa Loma. Right next to the museum. Beautiful campus. Dorms were average and very secure. Friendly staff. Not a social environment. Communal bathrooms on each floor.

• 6th Jun 2015

Pros: if you do not have a car, it is the best location. Security is very good. Cheap Cons: No parking and you have to pay a lot for parking in the street. You are not able to control air conditioning (room was freezing). Blanket was dirty. Mattress and bed are very poor quality. Restrooms are not very clean. I could smell weed at night from other rooms. very noisy at night because the bed is located right by the door. Elevator was not working. no printer. staff are not the most helpful.

I think the reception staff (older lady) wasn't rude but could have been a bit more personal. Other guests were loud at unsocial hours and I couldn't call the front desk because the phone in my room was broken

Although the hostel is generally quiet, the halls are pretty echoey which makes it hard to sleep since you can hear whenever anyone on your floor opens or closes their door. Luckily, we had ear plugs!

• 26th May 2015
  • Egypt

These are just dorms that you can use for the summer. Clean, and cheap. Not much of a backpacker atmosphere, and difficult to meet people. The location is fantastic, easy on public transport and walking the city. The Athletic center is actually $20 per visit, or $55 for a week. Staying at the hostel gives you no discount over anyone walking in off the street would get. Gym facilities are nice, but not sure this qualifies as a "small fee".

All good but the room was dirty when i get in and never cleaned during the whole week, and there aren't any stuff to do it by myself. More cleaning and it will be perfect

• 14th May 2015

This residence is in a great location. Very close to Chinatown, the Annex, Yorkville, and on U of T Campus. It is also close to public transportation so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. Staff was very nice. The rooms were clean but the linens were only o.k. (dingy) I also found the rooms cold. The residence does not have a hostel feel, if you're looking for that kind of atmosphere then I suggest using a more traditional hostel. I wanted a quiet space though, so this was perfect.

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The place felt very secure and safe. Lighting was a bit dim in the bedroom. Sometimes it felt a little noisy at night when guests were returning. Subway stop not far away and plenty of cafés/shops nearby. The bedroom and toilet/shower facilities were clean; however toilets could be a long way from the room!