Urban Central Reviews

334 City Road Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

This hostel has everything you need, although due to the number of guests it does feel a little bit like a machine.

Great stay. Awesome staff that were ver helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful! Happy travels!

Really nice hostel. Very big and spacious. Good offers at the bar. Need free wi-fi to make it ten out of ten.

I organised 12 people to come over to the F1 for the weekend....everybody was stoked with the place. Great location, bar, rooms etc and everything very clean.

Thanks for the great review and look forward to welcoming you and your group again!

The location is great , central if wanting to check out the casino . But didn't feel safe at all walking there in the evening . In the rough part of the city ,so be vigilant if walking alone at night. Breakfast was good - lots of choice. Facilities clean. Staff great.

• 8th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

I was staying in a 4-bed dorm and three different girls were sleeping in the bed under mine, which I do not think was very secure with regard to belongings. Also, the three girl's bleongings were scattered all over, so the dorm was like a pigsty. To give the staff their due, they acted upon my complaint about this "timeshare system":

Bathrooms could have been cleaner, the mens had quite a overpowering urine stench which was a little off putting when you are trying to brush you teeth. Linen was also not ideal with cleanliness questionable. Also a top sheet and blanket, rather then just a doona. On the whole, for the price I paid, I was more then happy with the hostel, and found it leaps and bounds ahead of the last one I stayed in which was similarly prices and also in Melbourne.

Stayed in the private double bedroom.I was previously at an actual hotel in the city and the bedroom in urban was much nicer. Downside is theres no small fridge in the private bedroom and the side I stayed at was facing the road so very noisy all day and night. Most staff arent friendly like other hostels ive been to. They seem to have no patience when is busy. Other than that overall a pretty good hostel. Would recommend to friends and would def come back.

• 27th Feb 2014

I know that ticking excellent on everything seems like a cop out but I was extremely happy with my stay and the hostel on a whole, I will definitely be returning

• 25th Feb 2014

Thank you for the great review! I've passed on your comments to our staff as they work hard to ensure our guests have a fantastic stay. See you again next time!!

Really nice place to stay. Very clean, in a good location and a nice atmosphere. Was nice to have a pub in the hostel as this added to the atmosphere. Breakfast provides as well which is always a bonus. Recommend staying here

Thanks for taking the time to review us, Im glad you found Urban Central a great place to stay! Happy travels!!

Nice place to stay in the centra of Melbourne. It was a bit of a walk to the main shops but an easy tram journey. Stayed in a double room with an ensuite which was clean and well maintained. Once we arrived we booked another night straight away. Well recommended

Many thanks for the great review and you loved it so much you booked another night straight away! See you again soon!

Generally a good hostel, but I found the showers were fairly temperamental - some of them just wouldn't work, even if the timer said there was 10+ minutes of time remaining. Also my key card abruptly stopped working and the staff member's first offer was to let me into my room and not replace my card, which would have left me stranded if I needed to use the bathroom in the night. As I checked out I heard a girl in front of me describing an identical experience.

Good location. Breakfast every morning was great.

• 10th Feb 2014

Because the hostel was such a big place, reception was always busy which meant long waits for customers. The kitchen didn't really cater for the amount of guests that were staying. Also, the outside area was damp and cramped. On the other hand, the bar was spacious and great to be in. The activities board was awesome, and the location of the hostel is right where you need to be. Staff dealt with any problems as quickly as they could.

• 7th Feb 2014

We didn't appreciate this place until we moved elsewhere! Awesome. I couldn't recommend it any more.

• 6th Feb 2014

Firstly, the room had no window so it was constantly dark. 2 of the locker doors (4 share room) had been dislodged/removed so if you were hoping to keep your valuables safe, then in the room it wasn't possible. Luckily I was only sharing with 2 other people (who were sharing a locker together), so I had my own. The showers didn't have locks on them and you can see through the glass window at the person showering next to you. Overall, it's overpriced for what you get.

Thank you for your comments, we do have a small amount of internal rooms with no window, some people prefer them, we are flexible when we can if someone wants to move rooms. Please accept my apologies in regards to the lockers and this has now been rectified.

Very clean and organised, would be good to have free Wi-Fi.

Two things that I didn't like: It is located next to a city highway which is very noisy and annoying. Second, it has a very cold atmosphere. So I wasn't feeling very well. But fortunately I had nice room mates

• 19th Jan 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. It saddens us to hear that you felt the place had a very cold atmosphere. However, we feel that our very successful events, for example the daily tours around the city as well as the social activities and games at the bar every night provide our guests with opportunities to meet and greet with fellow travellers. I am glad to hear your room mates enhanced your stay, and hope you will return to Melbourne.

had a great time staying at urban central. will surely reccomend this as the cleanliness and locaton is the best !

Thanks for the great review, hope to see you again soon!

We stayed there for 1 night only and got an upgrade to a family room. Everything was nice and clean, would stay there again.

• 10th Jan 2014

Thanks for the great review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Happy travels and hope to see you again soon!