Timen's House Reviews

5947 Tujunga av., North Hollywood, Los Angeles, USA

This is not hostel,this is paradise.

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Russia

I've been to a few hostels and this is by far the worse. In fact its not even a hostel really just a house with as many bunk beds they can cram into a living area (including the kitchen) as they can. We booked for two people and were told after we had paid them that we'd be separated into different areas. People there were nice, owners were nice as well, but overall it was a pretty horrible experience. I wasn't expecting much from a hostel but this was well below expectations. Not worth it

• 3rd Sep 2014

The absolute best experience I've had in a hostel! I've never worried about myself or my things, definitely stop by if you're in LA!

• 24th Aug 2014

The owner told us never to leave our belongings out of sight, as the place is full of weirdos hanging out and smoking all day. Most of them seemed to be long-term tenants. However, at least the neighborhood seemed safe... Timen and his wife are really friendly and welcoming, but alas the place is suffering from bad management. The facilities (including mattress and bedsheets) were really dirty. I would not recommend this hostel, even if you're on a budget.

The place is cheap, but very dirty. The whole estate is weird. All rooms are connected and some people where sleeping in a bunk in the kitchen.

• 23rd Aug 2014

This hostel is horrible!!!!!!!!! The description on website is nothing match with reality! They are big liar!!!! And the hostel owner even threaten me for cancellation!!!!! And the place around the hostel is very very very dangerous!!!!! If you want to be safe, do not book this hostel, this place the worst experience that I've ever had!!!!!!! I ran away and booked another motel even though the house owner won't let me cancel the reservation, then you can image how bad the situation is.

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • China

Despite our booking and reservation via hostelworld, we were greeted by a lady only to tell us that there was no such reservation and therefore we had no place to sleep in Los Angeles.

It is a very good hostel. I would recommend it to anyone that is visiting the area. The owners are very kind and accommodating.

• 30th Jul 2014

The people who stay here are mostly long timers, not too many travelers. I had a bunkmate who was having a feud with the landlord when I arrived. Not the vibe I was looking 4. There's a TV in each room, which I don't like. The rooms are interconnected so even though it says you have a room with 4 beds, there's people from other rooms walking in your "room" since your room could be a living room or the kitchen. I'm surprised they didn't make a closet a room. As they say, u get what you pay 4.

The service whilest at Timens was xtremely good an very loyal an helpful when need be. The only issue was smoking/weed an occasional dis-appearing money an minor things. Other was an awesome an relaxing place, close by with plenty in Hollywood too do

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

TV in the room, you cannot sleep well , somebody watch TV in the early morning. you can not go in , wait out for half hour, no body in the office to open the gate. no gas to boil water, no microwave.

• 8th May 2014
  • China

It was an odd mix of fellow dwellers, with a strange mood in the house.

Scary people and didn't live up to the deals we made. Tough neighborhood.

The people who stay here are actually very nice and pleasant people. Sorry if you feel that LA is a tough neighborhood. It's just how a metropolitan city is. However, our hostel is very safe and secured. A hostel is a dorm with 4 people in a room. The bed you get is the one that is available. It can be difficult to accommodate a whole room for a group. You get what is left available from reservations. You do not get your own private bathroom. You share with the unit. Perhaps a hotel?

Great place! Mike and his wife run a fun, relaxed, clean, comfortable house...great location, great people! Book now, cuz this place is hot!!!

• 13th Apr 2014

Cheapest place we could find - so pretty much as expected. Bit lacking in bathrooms and not terribly clean - but absolutely fine if you're just passing through. Bit of a hike from the metro.

First of all, this isn't really a hostel, it's simply a house with many bunk beds (including in the kitchen). They willingly leave people to smoke weed in the backyard and none of the doors are ever locked. Literally anyone from the street can walk up to your bed without a problem. The bathroom was clean and shower was very nice, but you share this with 12 people. There isn't an option of a check-in past 10pm, so if you arrive late - tough luck! The neighborhood is dodgy! Owners are very nice!

Hostels are created from houses in general. This is how they are mostly arranged. We have updated our security and now require a code to get onto the premises, but we have always had security cameras to make sure that everything was kosher. No one can walk up to your bed from the street. The bathroom is shared with 10 people, not 12. And yes the office closes at 10 pm, and check in is required before then. The hostel is located within LA county and is a metropolitan city.

when I arrived to the hostel around 10pm, they told be that all the reservation where cancel and the place was full. they didnt let me use internet to find a place.

We apologize that you did not receive your cancellation confirmation email. We were completely full and had to cancel your reservation unfortunately. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just a note, you actually arrived at 12 midnight. The office closes at 10 pm, but we still answered your call. Please check your email for updates to any reservations you have, so that this does not happen again. Good luck with your travels.

We booked a dormitory at Timen's house for 3 days. We also received a confirmation. At the airport we called from the information centre to this hostel to see how we could get there with public transport. On the telephone we had a person, very rude and very impolite. She said that our booking was cancelled. And that was it. We called again to see what went wrong, to sort it out, with the confirmation number in our hand, but no, no discussion. Now were waiting for hostelworld to refund our money.

• 9th Mar 2014

My stay at the Timen House was really awesome! The owner and his wife are super nice people and the place itself is really chill. It was a good atmosphere throughout plus it's in a good spot to where you can walk to everything. They had a beautiful garden full of apple trees and orange trees that we picked and ate fresh! I really enjoyed the stay, two thumbs up!!

• 18th Feb 2014

This is my first time staying here, my experience was pleasant. I am a smoker and the owner of the hostel has provided a dedicated smoking area, as well as non smoking areas. The kitchen and bathroom facilities are adequate, and the hosts provide bedding and towels. There are TVs in every room for those who like TV. Recommended for other travellers looking for a cheap, quiet place to stay.

• 18th Feb 2014