Our purpose is to encourage people to travel. Our websites, blogs and social media accounts are places where backpackers can find advice and inspiring travel content, as well as having positive discussions and the opportunity to share ideas about what matters to them the most.
Our guidelines are here to make sure that Hostelworld’s community is fun, inspiring and safe for everyone. They are based on common sense and cordiality. They are here to help you understand what it means to be part of the Hostelworld online community – a global backpacker community based on diversity, tolerance and respect.
Whether you are posting comments and content on our websites or joining the conversation on our social media channels, we ask everyone to follow these community guidelines.
We may update these guidelines form time to time so check back occasionally.
Hostelworld Community Do’s and Don’ts:
- Be respectful
- Stay on topic
- Be open minded
- Share your hostel stories
- Help other backpackers
- Use common sense
- Ensure you follow the T&Cs of the social media platform you are participating in
- Offend or harass
- Post any type of personal or private information
- Advertise or spam
- Be or feed a troll
- Post about how to commit any illegal activity
- Be discriminatory
We will remove posts or comments, and ban the user that include, (below not an exhaustive list):
- Offensive or violent language
- Hateful or discriminatory comments regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity
- Violations of copyright or intellectual property rights
- Links or comments containing sexually explicit content material
- Spam or files containing viruses that could damage the operation of other people’s computers or mobile devices
- Attacks on specific groups or any comments meant to harass, offend, threaten or abuse an individual
- Advertise products or services for profit or gain or promote the services of a competitor
- Describe or encourage activities that could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Attempt to impersonate someone else
- Contain links to other websites which break our editorial guidelines
Please also check Hostelworld’s Terms & Conditions here.
Our Availability and responding to messages
We will update and monitor our websites and social media accounts from 9 to 5:30pm Monday to Friday, London time.
Occasionally we may also post scheduled updates at evenings and weekends.
We value your feedback and contributions, and will try to respond as much as possible. It’s important to note that we are not able to reply individually to all of the comments we receive through our social media accounts but we aim to reply to all Customer Service private messages on social media accounts.