Hostelworld is driven by building a better world. We use our collective energy every day to promote understanding in our world by enabling individual journeys of discovery, adventure and meaning. We value and promote equality, respect and diversity to help inspire a better world.
Our guidelines are here to make sure that Hostelworld’s community is fun, inspiring and safe for everyone. They are based on common sense and encourage kindness to all. They are here to help you understand what it means to be part of the Hostelworld online community – a global backpacker community based on diversity, tolerance and respect.
It’s important to note, that we are not a customer service team. We don’t have access to your bookings and accounts. We will try and help if we can, but you’ll get in-depth support if you contact our Customer Service Team here.
Whether you are posting comments and content on our blog or joining the conversation on our social media channels, we ask everyone to follow these community guidelines.
We may update them from time to time.
Hostelworld Community Dos and Don’ts:
- Be respectful
- Stay on topic
- Be open-minded
- Share hostel stories
- Help other backpackers
- Use common sense
- Follow the T&Cs of the social media platform you are using
- Offend or harass anyone, including our team
- Post any type of personal or private information
- Advertise or spam
- Be a troll, or feed a troll
- Post about how to commit any illegal activity
- Be discriminatory / hate speech
Please do none of the below (not an exhaustive list):
- Use offensive or violent language
- Post hateful or discriminatory comments regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs
- Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity
- Violations of copyright or intellectual property rights
- Spam our social media accounts or blog with multiple postings using the same comment
- Contact other users with the intent to promote negativity on our channels
- Links or comments containing sexually explicit content material
- Share files containing viruses that could damage the operation of other people’s devices
- Attacks on specific groups or any comments meant to harass, offend, threaten or abuse an individual
- Advertise products or services for profit or gain or promote the services of a competitor
- Describe or encourage activities that could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Attempt to impersonate someone else
- Contain links to other websites which break our editorial guidelines
Please check Hostelworld’s Terms & Conditions here.
Our Social (The Solo System) Terms & Conditions are here.
If you do breach our guidelines:
- We will remove posts or comments (where possible).
- We will usually let you know why your comment has been removed and give you the opportunity to share a new comment that considers these guidelines.
- If you ignore our warning, we may block or ban you. The wellbeing of our community and team is our priority.
Our Availability and responding to messages
We will update and monitor our social media accounts from 9 to 5:30 pm every day, London time. We value your feedback and contributions and will try to respond as often as possible.